I Think I Am Ready

Okay I think I have this cycling stuff down.....or at least I think so. I am still confused on the water?.....I had orginally bought distilled water in gallons for them.....another wonderful tip from the people at vvvv <_< They happen to be the ones that also told me that a 10gal. tank would be just fine for my 2 goldies!!! anyways what should I be using as far as the water goes?......tap?

And when I was reading an article on here about cycling I saw that you can add a Danio? is this a fish that I can keep with my goldies at all times? I was thinking about adding a snail also is that okay? Do I have to get the danio to in order to cylcle the tank?

Bear with me here I am just trying to make sure I do this right and I don't really feel like I can trust what the petstore people say to do.

As far as the filter goes...I will need a bigger one if I get the 45 gallon tank correct? For future water changes how often does this need to be done and how do I know if I have taken 10-20% out.....and what do I put back in?....meaning do I have to let the water sit or anything or just right outta the tap of the sink?

I am actually kinda nervous to do this.....I want everything to go accrodinaly to planned!!! :(

So if someone out there would be kind enough to kinda walk me through this I would apprciate it a ton!!! I plan on buying one of those octagon shaped tanks with a stand.....any ideas on plants?....I have 2 plastic ones right now and fairly large rocks....what about real plants are they better?

I think I am done asking a million questions now....I hope I can do this!!! Again sorry for the lengthy post!! I just really want to do this right.........For anyone who helps me here....if you were here you'd get a big ol hug!!!! thanks a lot :yeah:

Della

If your going to put the two goldies in the 45 gallon to cycle it, I think that should be enough. I started my cycle for my 55 G with only two goldies. You'll need to test the water. it will give you a better chance of knowing A) where the cycle is at and B) when you should do water changes. When you start to see ammonia, dont let it rise over 1ppm or lower then .25ppm. Test daily because the ammonia, and then nitrites will spike, and you'll have to water changes daily at that point. take about 25% out, and then put back water you took out. You can buy dechlorinator, so you dont have to let the water set out all night. Tap water should be fine. When you do get your tester kit, you should test the water for PH and ammonia at least. Sometimes, some tap water has ammonia in it, but ive never personally experienced this.

Im not sure if I would add a snail in yet. I would add him in after it is cycled. High ammonia's and nitrites can kill snails. They usually dont do well with the fluctuation, and the ammonia and nitrites poison them. Also, im not positive about the plants while cycling. I didnt add mine until it was cycled, just to make sure I didnt kill them or something. Im not sure if would tho, but they feed on the nitrates in the water, and nitrates are the last thing to show up, but I think real plants are an excellent choice. I love live plants. I wont use fake ones anymore.

if you have anymore questions, feel free to ask. I hope this helped alittle.

Okay thanks a lot!! :D

Just let me get this sraight here.....Yes I can put the goldies in when cylcing the tank?....

Here is my plan for tommorow...I am going out to nnnnnn to buy one of their starter kits, I may have to go to the petstore though as much as I don't want too but I really want a octagon shaped tank....I need some sort of shopping list if you will.... on exactly what to buy for chemicals and all that good stuff....Kinda need to know how much $ my husband is gonna have to give me :wacko:

And now my next big question is after I get home with the new tank and all the goodies, what should I do just add some tap water and start putting things in it? and testing the waters?.....I would love to get these guys outta the tank a.s.ap....given they are getting mad sitting in a 10 gal. tank right now!!!!

I am sooooo sorry for all these questions but I am used to working with dogs not fish so this is all so new to me!!! So everyone thanks so much for the patience and help!!! Oh yes I am sure I will think of new questions to ask...I am trying to read old threads on here and a lot of it is helping me along....I am trying not to post a ton I don't want to get into trouble for it :unsure:

One more question...Who is gonna watch my 2 year old while I try to cycle a 45 gal tank?..... :lol:

oh yes one more thing bout water changes....how often do I do this and what do I do?....take water out and add right away agian?

Thanks again

Dont be silly, we are here to help. We all had to start off somewhere, and its great that your learning how to properly take care of them!

Ive boughten most of my tanks from nnnnnn. Ive never seen a octagon one there tho, except for the 5 gallon ones. I would reccomend a recatangular, long, instead of something deeper. Goldies need lots of air surface, and like to swim back and forth, instead of up and down, but alot of people have put goldies in octagons before.

When you get home with the tank, rinse it out real well with hot water. Rinse off the rocks your going to use for it as well. Then add the rocks, and start filling the tank up with tap water. Try to get it as close to room temp (or if your using a heater, close to that temp). After it half full, you can put the decorations in how you would like them, then finish filling it up. Add dechorinator, and its ready for fish. I might wait 24 hours tho before you add the fish to the tank, that way the temp is right, and the filters and stuff can run alittle bit.

Also, you'll want to start testing your water a couple days after the fish go in. Once you see ammonia, you'll want to test everyday, or every other day, but probably everyday, especially when you get your ammonia and then nitrite spike. Do water changes when the ammonia and/or nitrites rise above 1ppm, but try to keep it above .25ppm while you have your ammonia spike/nitrite spike. Otherwise, if you try to get it to 0, there wont be any food for the bio bugs growing in your tank. You'll notice the water will cloudy for awhile also. DONT WORRY. their bacteria blooms. Completly normal, they'll fade away. Mine usually did after a week or so after they appeared.

As for alist of what you should get at the petstore. This is just what i would pick up.

Tank (of course)

Filter (if you dont by the starter set)

Heater (dont have to use one, but nice to have so temp is consistent)

rocks

master test kit (their the dropper kind, not the test stripe. Ive never liked the test strips)

Thermomater

Dechlorinator

Air pump (its best to keep an air pump in the tank, so the goldies get sufficiant oxygen in the tank, otherwise, they can get oxygen deprived)

Airline hose (if you get an air pump)

air stone (if you get an air pump)

Gravel Vac

- I recomend the phython. Its awsome. it hooks up to a sink, and when you turn the sink on, the sucks water of the tank, and then you twist a nob on the hose, and water goes back through the hose, into the tank. It is such a time saver (expecially with kids. my son is 14 months, and i dont have much time to do water changes) and its so nice not having to carry bucket after bucket after a water change back and forth from the sink. When you do a water change, vac. the gravel a bit to get any uneaten food out. But during the cycle, there will be times when you will be doing water changes daily. It can be a chore, but its worth it once it is cycled. Then you only change water once a week!

Thats all i can really think of right now. That sounds about it. I would definantly get the test kit tho! Its a must have. That way you know where your cycle is at, and after you have cycled your tank, test once a week. 90% of fish disease is from water quality issues, so a test kit is the best way to know whats going on in your tank.

I also recommend keeping alittle journal, with info like when you set up the tank, what went into it, etc. and most importantly, whenever you test the water, write it down. This can help alot, especially if something happens to a fish, you can look back and see if something abnormal happened or if you added something new and forgot about it. Ive been doing this for awhile now.

I almost forgot

I love those big hexagon tanks - they are very showy and pretty. They have a few potential problems that, with knowledge of these flaws, you can overcome easily.

The first is that they tend to be deep - and this cuts down on the surface area of the water - the surface is where the majority of the oxygen for the fish is picked up. You will need to boost the water turnover to address this - extra bubble bars or stones will usually do the trick just fine.

Secondly, each corner in a tank tends to collect algae - and you will have a lot more corners than a standard rectangular tank does. I think the interest and asthetics of the hex makes it more than worth the little trouble - just pass a cleaning scubbie in each corner during each water change and you will avoid most, if not all, of the corner problems.

I do have one thing to say about cycleing a tank. I know it is really really hard to wait for fish, particularly when you are all happy and excited about a tank. But putting a fish in a tank when it is cycling is really setting yourself and the fish up for failure. They may survive. But many will be stunted and stressed and suceptible to every little thing that comes along later in life. It is sooooo much better to get the fish AFTER the tank is cycled. Not only do you not have to deal with damaged fish, you do not have to do ANY water changes during the cycling process. Just test your water and wait. It works for you. Here is a good article describing how to do a fishless cycle.

http://www.kokosgoldfish.com/FishlessCycle.html

If you can find a product called BioSpira, you can shorten your tank cycling to about 1 week. It is packaged beneficial bacteria that you can use to seed your filter. You can find it often in smaller fish stores and such - the big chain stores do not carry it. It is also available mail order from the net.

Please post back and let us know how you are doing. Your child is old enough to help a bit with some of the tank stuff - I let the little ones that come here stick their hands in the replacement water to tell me if it is "warm enough". I let them pour the salt (premeasured) into the replacement water bucket. I have them tell me what a fish is doing - eating or done eating, etc. It can involve and intrigue a young one very well. If your tank lid is going to be accessible to a small one, though, it might be a good idea to tape it down. I have used 2 inch wide blue masking tape on the BACK portion of a lid for small children - they cannot open the lid and cannot reach the tape to remove it. Your best bet is simply involving him and explaining to him. An educated child is much less likely to do harm to the fish or himself.

HAppy fishing!!!!!! :D

I really like the idea of a fishless cycle and thats what Im gonna do after I move. I gotta start all over again so.....new goldies. Oh Im gonna have soooo much fun. But anyhow, back on topic. If your goldies can wait a little longer I definetly reccomend doing a fishless cycle as it is FAR less stressful. The only sress being from moving.

And yes use tap water, fallow the directions on the back of the declorinator(always buy a larger amount than you think u need-personal experience). You can keep the danio in with the goldies after but I think Id rather use mountain minnows. Theyre small and cheap. Sold as feeders in some places. But definetly think about doing a fishless cycle.

Oh and one last thing, about watching ur two year old, get him to help. He can bring you hoses or keep it in the bucket for you. If not then thats why you have a husband.

Thanks everyone...Yes I am holding off till this weekend to get my new tank now so I can make sure everything is set up properly. I am so glad that I came here first before just running out and buying one...I feel bad that I still have my 2 goldies in such a small tank but they are still so small, so I am thinking that one more day will be okay then they can go go go in their new home :D

I am just going to have to print off these posts and take them with...I don't want a vvvv employee jumping on me right away I want to go in get what I need and get home!!!

I think I am going to try the fishless cycle...sounds like it might work the best for me.

cometgoldielover...where are u moving too? and what are u gonna do with all your fish??

I agree, fishless cycles are best, but can be tricky. If you can get your hands on some biospira, that would be awsome. ive heard of tanks cycling in a week that that stuff! Also, pure ammonia will help aid the cycle fast (without fish). But its hard to get, and has to be pure ammonia, and cant have any fragrance or anything in the ingredients. My cycle for my 55 G I did with my fish in it, and they did great through it. Also, seeding it with fish flakes to get ammonia is a good start. Put them in a net, so you can just pull the net out, and refill, and not clean the water... otherwise if you just add flakes like your feeding an imaginary fish, it will mold.

If it were me, but this is just me, I would cycle with the fish. As long as you check your params everyday, and do water changes when levels get too high, your fish should do fine. Mine did wonderfully. not one split fin though the cycle!

:wall

Too many differen't ways to do this!!! I am gonna give it some thought on both ways I think......I am just such a nervous person as it is so I don't want ne thing to get messed up...especially my fish!!!!

I have so much good info now to look back at I think I am going to do just fine with it....I will let everyone know once I get it home and set up....I think we may have to be taking a trip to Milwaukee this weekend

:idea Well the hubbie don't know that part yet.....but I found a awesome store down there I just have to go check it out!!

Thanks again everybody :grouphug

No problem! Thats what were here for.

And dont worry so much, you've learned soooo much here, your going to do great! Your fish are going to be soo happy and healthy, and so will you! Best of luck to you, and I cant wait to hear about the new tank when you get it! Also, remember, if you have any questions once you do get it set up, we are all here to help you through anything!!!

:heart

Guest VxShady

Most home improvement or hardware stores carry pure ammonia I think. I've picked it up and Home Depot and Ace Hardware before. I think grocery stores just carry the stuff with the additives so it smells pretty when you're cleaning the scooby marks out of your toilet. For some reason it has to smell nice when you're doing that. :blink:

Archived