Moving

Maybe ya'll can help me with this. I'm going to be moving to Alabama, from Virginia in about a month. It is about a 14 hour drive. I was wanting to know how and if I can take my fish this far. We would probable make the drive in 2 days. There might even be a week that we have to stay in a hotel down there. What would I do with my fish then? I'm so worried about them. I don't want to have to leave them behind. Any suggestions would be great! Oh yeah, I have 1 large comet (8-9"), 2 large commons (5-6"), 6 small comets (2-2.5"), 2 small Fantails (2.5"), 2 black moors (2", and 3.5-4"), 2 chinease algae eaters (3"), 1 betta, and 7 snails. :krazy: Am I crazy for trying to take all of them? Help me please, I can't stop worring about it. :crp

Wow, thats a tough one. Ive had to move my goldies once, but it was only a 45 minute drive. The only thing I can think of is maybe a bunch of those criter keeper plastic tanks and buy a batery operated air pump for them. or maybe rubber maid things? Thats the only thing I can think of.

I hope you figure something out. Thats really tough. i wouldnt want to leave my goldies behind, so I understand the frustration and worrying. :heart

you can get 5-gal buckets that have lids that stay on really well, and wont pop off if jostled like a rubbermaid tub will. If you stay overnight some where, I would change some of the water out and clean some of the poop out of the bottom of whatever medium you carry them in. I believe i read in the forum months ago when I was more active when moving fish you should not feed them the day before, Im not sure of the reasoning. Maybe that will spark someones knowledge and inform us. Best of luck to you. I'll be moving my goldfish and my chichld tanks from my dorm room back home in a few weeks, but I only live 30 mins from home, but even that is worrysome. Cheers

--

SpooN

Guest Misty's_Fantails

you dont want to feed them the day before to cut down on waste. i also agree w/ getting a bucket for them and air pumps. You could look around on other forums. there are bag buddies i dont knwo hwo well they would do in a bucket though. iknow they add air to the water and do someting that cuts down on stress in the fish.

Guest PenelopeFish

I have to move my fish three hours away, and I am totally nervous. I can't believe how you feel. I wish you the most of luck. I figured I would just put my goldies in plastic bags but...that might be a bad idea, even for just three hours. I think the bucket idea is the best yet...

PenelopeFish :(

Do ya'll think they will make it 13-14 hours, maybe even overnight (if we stop) in a bucket? How many would I put in each bucket? Won't the sloshing hurt them? If I have to stay in a hotel for a week or 2 before we close on the house, what would I do with them? All this is really stressing me out :crp . I don't have to only worry about the fish, but my 2 toads, 2 mice, 2 cats, and 1 dog. This is going to be a crazy trip! :krazy::blink:

Guest jmp6161987

With the air pump, they should be just fine in a bucket, the good thing about rubbermaids is that you can control how much they do or don't see in order to reduce stress. I don't think anything more than a little lethargy and stress will arrive from the move, however I have never made such a long trip with fish so perhaps somebody with a little more experience could help you out here. :unsure:

With so many fish it will be tough to do buckets. You don't want to overcrowd, but then if you get too many buckets.... braking fast becomes scary when you may end up with water around your ankles.

I can give you my experience and you can take what you will from it. I was set to move from Pittsburgh, PA down to TX... but I had to stay a month at my moms house while the job got set up and I looked for a place to live. I transported the fish to moms the same way I later transported them (I will tell in a bit), and kept them in rubbermaid tubs at moms house for the month. I had a total of 16 fish (fancies), of which there were 2 big 8inchers and a multitude of fish from 1in to 6 inches. I explored buckets, but changing batteries every few hours and the potential for things to fall in the buckets, water sloshing etc I did not want to go through. I thought about shipping, but it would've been at least a few hundred with all the fish and I had no place to ship them to (since I was at a hotel in TX). I fasted them before all the trips.

So I picked up these Kordon Breathable air bags and some destressor pills and packages them all up individually and placed them in a cooler (for easier transport, keep them cool in a hot car, and seal them off from anything that could scare them). I placed filter media in buckets with water in them. I took them to moms first... they all survived the initial drive (4hrs). I lost one 8 incher during the month in the rubbermaids (with filtration). I then transported them down to TX to the hotel. Lost my second 8incher the very first day of a three day trek. After I hit TX, I had an extremely scary first day trying to get all the rubbermaid, fish stuff, buckets, and fish into the hotel because I technically didn't ask permission. I got everything setup and got the fish in the rubbermaids. I had to throw out all the filter media because it was toast (smelled horrid). I lived for a week and a half in the hotels then transported everyone out to my new place (back into tubs, since no furniture delivered). Lost another fish before I got the tanks setup. And lost another fish two weeks later. So I ended up with 12 fish and a very sad fishie mommy. In addition 5 dojos, 2 snails and a betta survived the journey.

Would I do it the same way again? NO I would have given any big fish to my fav pet store and kept only 4 fish that were utterly special to me and shipped them. It was the most stressful 3 day car trip because I knew my fish needed to get there NOW and every fish I lost was like a blow to the stomach. Then setting up and taking down the tanks was utterly exhausting (6+hrs) and I had to keep the hotel staff out of the room since I technically wasn't allowed to have the fish (my job picked the hotel, not me). It was utterly not fun.

Thats my 2 cents :) Goodluck with whatever you do!

I don't have any suggestions personally, but I recommened reading the 'Shipping Spud To Florida' thread that's posted in this forum. They mention something called "Buddy Bags" that are supposed to help the fish with stress during the trip. Also, there's an article about how to ship a fish through UPS, if you want to do this. This is the link I coppied from that site:

http://www.koivet.com/html/articles/articl...?article_id=132

Good luck!

Thanks ya'll, the info has really helped. I'm still not sure which way I will move them, but I have more ideas now. I'm not as worried. I'll let ya'll know what I decide to do, and how it goes. We will be taking a trip down there soon, so I wil get an idea of what it will be like, and how I need to prepare.

If anyone has any additional ideas please post them. All ideas are greatly appreciated! :D

I have moved mine across town before and will be moving them all again when we get our house (and somehow Ive accumulated about twice as many in that time!!). Last time I packed them all up in large 18"x24" bags from work, and then boxed them all up in styrofoam cartons that they are shippped overseas in. If you are a regular at your lfs and are on good terms they will probably give you some. Then when you get to your stop at night you can unload them into your tubs and add some fresh water (I would recommend bringing along several gallons of dechlorinated tapwater for water changes along the way). Also, have a bottle of Amquel handy to get rid of any ammonia that is building up.

I am planning on doing the Rubbermaid tubs this time around. I'll probably use the 10 gallon ones and fill them about 1/3 of the way full. I also have the battery powered airpumps because they will have to sit in those awhile before we set up the tanks.

I would recommend doing the tubs, personally. Drill a hole or two in the lids for the airstone to go through and make sure the lid stays on tight. Seatbelt them in if you have to so they dont go flying if you have to stop fast. At night when you stop at the hotel, maybe you can hook up your filters to the tubs. That way your filter media will stay fresh and your fish can get some good filtered water.

I dont envy you! Moving fish is tough. When I was a kid I'd always have to give my fish away before I moved. Im glad now that I have the ability to take them with me. Good luck!

Archived