Comet Floating

:ill I've noticed that my large comet is staying near the top a lot. When he goes down to the bottom he seems to have trouble staying down. He pops up to the top. He also seems to gulp air at the top. He is the only one that does this. Could he have SBD? If so what are the first steps I need to take in treating it? Any help would be great. Thanks! :D

Hi RM - just want to rule something out first. When you say near the top do you mean he stays near the surface (a couple of cm's under) or does he float on it? The reason i ask is it could have something to do with your ph. When it starts to fall, fish may hang at the surface, a symptom of acidosis....

Otherwise, you could try fasting for a couple of days and on the third day, feed a pea or 2.... this usually helps with SBD. There's a great link here somewhere that has some recipes for fish with SBD :D

Well if his fin breaches the waterline - it sounds like sbd. :) I've got a little floater myself - sometimes at night he's almost on his side :blink: so i'm looking into making up some rice recipes for him... I feed him peas twice a week and this usually helps some ... So perhaps try fasting him then feed a couple of peas and see if this helps. Do you find it's intermittent? Or is he always at the top?

Lol - i have the same problem - mine's one of the fastest and greediest in the tank. You can try not feeding for about a day and a half then give them all a meal of shelled peas. This is really to see if there's any improvement and it's not actually something else...

If this improves his condition, then you'll know it is sbd and can start to mix their diet a bit (and i'll try and find the link with the rice recipe and post back) :D

Guest Morten33

There ARE some great recipes for SBD. And to me it does sound like what he has. I have three BubbleEyes, and one of them has chronic SBD. I tried everything, fasting, peas, soaking food. Nothing worked for more than a day.

This is what finally worked for me; I found this on a non related forum so I can't remember which one it was.

Fast for 3 days.

During that time make a mixture of plain white rice and peas. Boil the rice for about 5 minutes. You want it soft and mushy. After boiling you want to mash the rice up into a paste. This is harder than it seems because the rice is slippery. I used a small cup and the handle of a utensil that almost as large around as the bottom of the cup. How small the pieces of rice I would guess depend on how big your fish is. Mine is only three inches long so I mashed it up pretty good and small. After you have the rice mashed into a past, get the peas. Take the shell of the peas off, cut the peas into tiny pieces and mash them into the past. You want them a paste consistency to so that it mixes in with the rice. Don't do 50/50..I do around 60 to 70% rice and then 30 to 40% peas. It doesn?t matter what the exact percentage is, just as long as you have more rice in the mix than peas.

Okay, now after the fish has fasted for three days, begin feeding this mix in small amounts for 3 days. After that you can start adding in regular food. I feed a small amount of the rice mix then a few minutes later I feed ProGold pellets that I have soaked and are mushy. I now do this every day. It is a Pain to make the rice stuff, but if I ever DON'T feed the rice mix first, my fish floats to the top of the tank and stays there for 24 hours. I now make enough for a week and keep it in the fridge until I feed.

Anyway, this is my best suggestion. Again this was the ONLY thing that worked for my fish. Try this, or there are also recipes for Gel food on a different forum that is supposed to be good to.

Gook luck, and keep me posted on any progress

Emily

Thanks for the help emily and jen. I gues they will all have to fast, because there is no way to fast just him. Do I need to mash the mix up much, he is about 8". He can fit a whole algae waffer in his mouth.

Guest Morten33

Jen that?s funny!! I try and watch for posts on SBD because it took me a long time to find something that worked and I want to tell everyone about it!

As for the 8'' fish! Wow that is big! I can't wait until my babies get bigger!

Okay, yes you are going to have to make much bigger batches of the rice mix. And no, I don't think you will have to mash it up as much as I do. But you do want it close to a past consistency for two reasons 1- you want this stuff to go threw the digestive track smoothly, 2- you want the peas to be mixed in it well. And it will be easier to feed in clumps. You don't want to just dump in the little pieces of rice; they will go everywhere and be harder for your big fish to get them. I am thinking maybe a teaspoon amount of the mix for the first three days, then you can start adding the regular food. If you do feed him wafers or pellets, I would suggest soaking them a bit first. That will also help with the SBD.

One suggestion for the fasting. This might be too much of a hassle with how big your fish are. But I took my little guy out and put him in a container for about 5 min, while I fed the other fish. That way they don?t all have to fast. But even if you do fast them all it isn't bad for them. They can actually go like 5 or 6 days I think without food. Also, if your fish hasn't had SBD before, hopefully after you do the fasting, rice for 3 days, and then a little of the rice before regular food for a week or two. Maybe after that if you soak what ever you feed him, you won't have to keep up with the rice. I unfortunately have to do the rice every day. I have been doing it for over a month, and if I ever don't do it, she floats.

Let us know how it goes. And if you have any more questions or if I didn't explain something right, just ask!

Emily

Thanks Emily, that will really help. I don't think I would be able to take him out, he is too big. It will probable be good for everyone to have their systems cleared out. I just won't be able to look at them. They will be pressing there sad, little hungry faces against the glass begging for food :blink: . CJ tends to get mad and splash water out of the tank if he doesn't get fed :angry: . It will be a rough 3 days, but it is for his own good.

Archived