Missing Scales And Labored Breathing

Guest moustics

Guest moustics

I am not sure what is going on, but our Red Capped Oranda is not well...She has ICH and is being treated for that, but also has missing scales around her tail fin as well as other places..Her breathing is labored too....

I have her in a hospital tank with the heat at 80, a bubbler...the water perameters are good..In the 5 gal tank is Maracyn2 and JPC..... This is the first day of treatment..I was treating her with Salt until she began to get septic...Is there anything else I can do..She is also not eating tonight, which is not like her...

The salt treatment was in the 20 gal tank....We have been at this in the big tank for 2 months....Something is not right....

Thanks,

Mouse :cry1

Hi there mouse - and i'm so sorry you're still having problems :(

She still has ich? :(

I think you're taking the right action.... and hopefully the maracyn 2 will start to have some affect - it's especially good when fish won't eat. Ich can be nasty and as you know, stresses fish enormously. This can at times, leave them prone to secondary infection.

Hopefully someone else will have some suggestions tho IMHO - you're doing what i would do....

I hope she gets well soon - i really do

Guest moustics

Thanks for all of the encouragement...It has been a long haul with this fish and she is not the best bred of her breed, but she is a fighter and I rather enjoy her...

Paul if U are out there please let me know if U think I should put her in a salt bath ? I did this with ICH last time and altho she does not do well in the bath due to how delicate she is, I do think there is some good that comes from it..

THe water has been problematic and I have changed out 10 of the 19 gals in the tank again this AM...THe NitrItes have been spiking for the last week.. I have brought them down to a shade less than 20 on the test strip.. They seem to go up within 24- 48 hrs...I also have been vaccuming the tank too... All the other water perameters are well within the healthy limits.....actually most perfect... Could this tank be cycling or is that not possible since I am changing the water so often????

Yacky still has Red streaks, and she was not eating so I put her back in the big tank now that it has better water conditions and I have re-salted the tank... Really stuck on what to do ??

Did read on another thread that if the NITRITES are out of wack then the fish can become septic ...

PLEASE HELP !!!!! :cry1

Thanks

Mouse

Mouse - just a concern over putting her back in the main tank... I hate to say it but a nitrite reading of 20 is extremely toxic and if she's already weakened, this may do her more damage.

Yacky will need absolutely perfect water conditions to fight this and for my money, yes, i'd do another salt dip. I'm such an advocate of this form of treatment and whenever i have an ailing fish (and with 29, that can happen with monotonous regularity), this is my first course of action. It a majority of cases, this is the only treatment i need to administer.

Hopefully Paul will pop by soon but in the meantime, my fingers, as ever are crossed :D

Archived