Is It Normal?

Guest funkyfishy

Guest funkyfishy

Our gorgeous fancy goldfish Travis seems to be such a loving fish, I was just wondering if his behavior is normal or if were just incredibly lucky to have him respond in the way he does. Everytime we go to put something new in there for him he tends to come and headbunt our hands to put it down and as soon as we do he will come right up to our hand and wiggle his way in there and sit in the palm of our hand lol., this is our first fish and love him to pieces. I was also wondering as well if fishes like to listen to music or watch t.v lol, it may be a silly question but he tends to wiggle away when certain songs or shows are playing. :D

Guest funkyfishy

Oh yeah forgot 1 more thing , he has the tendency to like belly tickles from my husband lol, he'll give him kisses on his finger and wiggle his way in his hand get a belly tickle then run away and come back for more he seems like he enjoys it lol, is that normal as well thanks again :rolleyes:

That's adorable! I don't think that's normal, you're just extremely lucky! As far as the music, I think fish like classical or something. TV isn't a bad idea, either. I don't think it's a stupid question-- whenever my entire family leaves the house, our dogs stay in the living room and watch Will and Grace! :lol:

Guest funkyfishy

funny you should mention that because although I don't listen to classical nor my husband , our little guy does lol. I think it's adorable as well and we are extremely lucky he's made us alot happier :D

I think my fish can tell the difference between music -- say, Vivaldi and U2. If they *like* music, I haven't yet determined. And back when they lived in my living room, I think they used to watch TV -- or at least, the noise it made [i leave their lid up when I'm around -- it means half the tank is uncovered, but they don't seem interested in jumping].

One of them will let me come and touch his head from time to time, and he does give me fish kisses, but they're really more, Mom-I'm-starving-I-haven't-eaten-in-4-hours-FEED-ME! nibbles on the fingers. :D

So your fish has personality -- that's a good thing! Just wait for him to start spitting water at you when he does not approve of your TV choices or something, and then you'll know for sure!

--Mav

Sure, fish will respond to tv or music as long as its played softly, since sound moves incredibly fast and loudly through water...makes vibrations, etc.

You are extrememly lucky to have such a friendly fish! that sounds just too cute! :)

It sounds like you are very lucky with the hand sitting and all. He sounds sooo precious! :heart Mine will give my fingers kisses all the time. When I was changing the water a couple days ago, I had 3 of them kissing me at once. They would go away for a bit and come back looking at me till I put my fingers back in. Undoubtely just hoping there would be food on my fingers the next time! :rofl

They all come "running" anytime I come close to the tank, but I don't think they want to be held just yet. :lol: Enjoy your little one, he sounds very special!

Guest funkyfishy

Travis is such a prescious fish and so funny at times , espescially getting hand fed he just wiggles away. If anyone is interested there are pics in our album so feel free to take a peek :)

as long as your hands are clean there's nothing wrong with giving travis a tickle as he's in the water

i was in south africa for x-mass and my wife's friend has a little oranda which when she puts her hand in the tank he swims straight into it

Guest funkyfishy

Our hands are definitly clean when we go to do anything in the tank, but I will stop playing with him so much because I don't want to get him sick in anyway or damage the slime coat. Thanks again :D

Our hands are definitly clean when we go to do anything in the tank,

When you say it's definitly clean do you mean you washed your hands with soap and stuff like that? Because soap and other chemicals will get in the water and they are toxic to your fish ;)

Jeepers Rob, your like the gf KGB! ahahah

If you want to tickle your gf, wash your hands, then rinse them for like 10 minutes im nice warm water, there can not be any saop on your hands.

If you are really worried about Travis's slime coat, there is a product called stress coat, its a aloe based thing, it is used to help the fishes slime coat, though when used in the tank it can hinder more then help (aloe coats their gills), but i have heard if you put it on your hands before playing with your fish, it wont bother the fishes slime coat, as now your hands are more or less the same. I read it on this site some where, lol ill try to find the exact post for you!

Guest funkyfishy

lol, it's okay for you all to be serious I don't mind and do appreciate the advice. Meaning that our hands our clean we don't use soap only water and pretty warm water and let them rinse under the tap a while then hotter water to rinse off for approx. five minutes.

Archived