My Fish Is Lying On Its Side!

tom

My fish is at the bottom of the tank lying there on its side not even moving beside the occasional tail flutter and looks like his dieing!! How can i put him down without puting him through pain?

ammonia-measured 0ppm on chart ( was bit darker than the yellow, but guess measure colour to colour)

Fresh water High range PH-7.8

Nitrites-0.50

Nitrate-10

These are the test results from the old water, I then did a 40 percent water change and i am running my Filter now........ I added a product into the new water called 'Prime' which removes Chlorine, Chloramine, Ammonia and Detoxifies Nitrate & Nitrites my fish suddenly started breathing mroe again after i changed water with the 40 percent water change but is still on its side with gills pasrtially open, it is slowly moving along the bottom of the tank on its side, and i am currnetly about to give the tank a salt bathe with 3 1/2 teaspoons to my 15 gallon tank

Tom I am sorry to hear about your fish. Can you elaborate on what is going on?

There is a box at the top with questions in it, this will help us more.

What kind of Filtration? Rio 180 i believe so its small

What kind of Water additives or conditioners? prime

Any Medications add to the tank? Prime

How many fish in the tank and there size? 2 fantails 1 adult commet

15 gallon

Add any new fish to the tank? No

What do you feed your fish? Fish flakes

Any unusual behavior? staying at the bottom of the tank for the fantail that is sick and it has a cist on it also.

Ok just so I can keep it straight which fish is doing what? (sorry having a hard night).

My first thoughts are that in a 15 gal tank you are way over stocked. Each of the fantails need 10 gal each and the commet 20 gals. So water quality has to be an issue here somewhere.

I would say to do a immediate water change about 30% and restest all the params. Post them along with what each fish is acting like.

Tom - before you go down that path, there's something you can try. It may be a parasite (if his gills are remaining open) so what say you try a salt dip. Add 1.5 teaspoons in a 1/4 gallon bowl. Leave him in there for say 15 minutes and see how he reacts - it he continues to do fine - leave him for another 15 minutes (1/2 hour in total). It's a relatively mild salt dip (0.6%) but worth a try?

Fingers crossed

I think its to late he is hardly breathing but will see what i can do :( should i put him in treated water with prime before i salt bathe him ?

I'm going through exactly the same thing. Just rescued a lovely little celestial that's hardly breathing so if you can, grab yourself 2 small dishes/bowls and add just 1 teaspoon of salt per gallon of perfect water - to each bowl. So just dechlorinate some fresh water, make sure the ph is an exact match, don't worry about the prime as you will be changing the water fairly regularly.

Put him in the clean water and see what happens (if you can add an airstone)... I'm just watching this little guy for now but i did slowly raise his water to 78 degrees.... Then in about 8 hours, i'll gently transfer him to the fresh bowl and in the meantime, clean, fill, salt x 2 (i'll raise the salt level to 0.2%), dechlorinate the second bowl, ready to transfer again 8 hours after that (hoping he'll get to this stage)

See if this does anything.... and in the meantime, my fingers are crossed. :)

the poor fantail didnt have a chance :( , he has now passed away, and i announce his death as of 8:54 pm May 3rd 2005, i will miss him a fair bit coz he along with the others always came up to the glass when i came into the room and always cheered me up with there playful swimming..... R.I.P little buddy :( (i never knew when fish die they dont always float to the top but instead found him lieing on the bottom :|)

Tom I am also sorry. Poor little guy.

I don't think he would've made it thru the salt dip, sick fish have a hard time with it, don't beat yourself up over it.

Archived