Sideways

airwen

I am really scared. Last night my mutt goldfish Carrot was feeling fine. Earlier that day I had moved her into a larger tank. I had just thoroughly cleaned everything in the tank, from the decorations to the heater. She was fine and happier being in a larger tank (30 gallons). She was by herself.

This morning I woke up and she was laying on her side on the bottom. I took her out of the tank and put her in a glass bowl with all new treated water. She continuously looks like she's laboring to breathe, and her mouth stays straight open. She is still alive even after the entire day- she's a real fighter.

I've been crying basically all day because I feel so guilty- all I wanted to do for her was to make her happier by putting her in a larger tank (she was in a 10 gallon previously) and I think I killed her. Darn it now I can hardly see the screen anymore through the tears.

I've had Carrot for about 9 years; I rescued her from a feeder fish tank when I was about ... 7 or so. Can't be sure on the dates. Could this just be because she is an old fish?

Ammonia Level? Don't know, I am too poor for a reader.

Nitrite Level? See above.

Nitrate level? See above.

Ph Level? About 7

Ph Level out of the Tap? I don't know, but she isn't in direct tap water, I treat it and let it sit for days before I use it.

Tank size(How many Gals) and How long has it been running? 30 gals. Or maybe 29, same difference. Its only been running running for a week or so now (I added water from Carrot's old tank), but it was up for a while previously.

What kind of Filtration? Just a big hanging-on-the-side filter (I forgot what you call them)

How often do you change the water and how much? I haven't changed it yet while she was in there.. but usually a bit about once a week. 2 gallons or so.

What kind of Water additives or conditioners? Just that Dr. Wellfish tap water conditioner.

Any Medications add to the tank? Nope

How many fish in the tank and there size? Just Carrot, she's about.. 3" long.

Add any new fish to the tank? Nope, she's been alone for a while now, since my Rainbow died maybe a year ago.

What do you feed your fish? Goldfish flakes

Any unusual findings on the fish? Such as "grains of salt", bloody streaks, frayed fins, fungus? No. She has always had some scales that look funny though- less shiny than the others. It's been that way since I got her however.

Any unusual behavior? Like staying at the bottom, not eating, ect..? No, not until this morning. She is now trying to swim around a bit, but she swims upside down. Sometimes she rights herself and can swim normally for about an inch, but then she falls to the bottom on her side.

If you can what is the chloramines Level from the Tap: No idea

I am the worst fish owner ever. :cry1 Is there anything I can do?

Guest SneeziePacker

No answer from me, I am afraid. I have my own swimming sideways fish that I am looking for help for. :cry1

But I had to reply that you definitely do not sound like the worst owner ever! Just the opposite! You obviously had only good intentions for Carrot. I had my first pair of goldfish for only a few months (this was a year back) but I grew soooo attached that I cannot imagine having a problem with a fish that has been around as long as you have had Carrot!

Hang in there!

Kathy

first i want to say i am really sorry about your fish, it must be awful for you, but we will try to help.

it sounds like something may have poisoned her as the symptoms have come on quickly. what did you use to clean everything in the tank with?

also, if you can take a sample of the water to your lfs and see if they can test it for you as there may be something thats gone wrong there. ask them to write the tests down so you can post them here.

ok then so its not a detergent then. next thing i can think of is swimbladder problems. its not uncommon for a fish to go on its side if it gets an infection, but until you get your water tested then the balance of the water cant be ruled out. this ones a mystery to me im afraid.

have you checked her mouth in case she has a stone in it?

Yes I've checked her mouth. The skin around it is almost clear so it isn't hard. About a year ago she ate a dead Oto and it got lodged in her throat. I had to take her out, hold her in a wet paper towel, and use needle-nose pliers to pull it out. It came out in two pieces and took me nearly an hour.

Is there anything I can do if there is swimbladder problems?

I'm hesitant to get the water tested because I'm afraid that as soon as I do it she will die, and also, I'm not going to use the tank anymore for fish things after this, I've decided.

Thanks for all your help.

I got my fantail on its side I got the water tested with my own kit i baught for 70 dollars, and i found the nitrites and nitrates were high, I am now waiting on my fish to feel better, I took 40 percent water out put fresh water with something called prime which detoxifies nitrites and nitrates and ammonia along with Chlorine and Chloramine, Buy Water detoxifiers, there verry very handy, My fantail is now more responsive and i will add more water soon after the salt bath I just gave my fish does its magic work If it doesnt work then I might also have to put him down the only humane way, some soda water ina buket with majority of water and the poor lil fella falls sleep :( But hopefully I wont have to do that

i remember your fish now. :)

how is she today?

is she still in a bowl ?

maybe setting up the 10 gallon with dechlorinated tap water and heating it up. i'm afraid i dont know what else will help. adding salt may relieve the breathing, so try salting to .2%.

Hi airwen and yes - i'd try adding salt. Perhaps take it to 0.3% as this it contains necessary substances that will help him fight. So 1 teaspoon per gallon then 12 hours later, repeat, then 12 hrs later, repeat again. Also, as he'll need perfect water conditions to overcome this, perhaps you can set up 2 containers. While he's in the first container, you can have a second ready to move him over about 8 hours later, then replace the water in the 1st container ready for the next.... It's less stressful for your fish and will ensure he'll have perfect water conditions.

I hope this helps and please keep us posted :)

No, the temp was really close.

Update: After a scary day and night, Carrot seems a lot better. She is now in a bowl with the aerator bubbling away (I read about the symptoms of poisoning and she had them all, and it also said add bubbles) and she's been right side up since last evening. She's looking at me right now. She's still a bit lethargic but she does occasionally get off the bottom and swim around a bit.

I need to take a water sample to the LFS. I don't have a salt tester either so I will have to get one while I am there.

Also-- I want to clean her little bowl, because the water is getting cloudy (my mother, overly concerned, fed her a whole bunch when I wasn't home and she ate hardly any of it apparently) but I don't want to freak her out. She always fights the net and I don't want to stress her out too much. Should I take her out or leave her be?

Guest Sacreligioushippie

I've only had my fish a couple of weeks but when I have to move them out of their tank to syphon it, I just use my hands. The don't seem to fight as much. Just make sure you don't have any lotion or anything on your hands.

Just a suggestion. I hope Carrot feels better.

~ Jessica

Airwen,

Sorry to hear of your troubles. Carrot sounds like a lovely fish.

It looks like poisoning, perhaps from cleaning residue in the large tank? I know you said you weren't going to use the tank again, but if you did, you could scrub it down with clean water and soak it overnight in salt water.

I wouldn't take her out to clean the bowl, just remove the uneaten food and change the water with a siphon.

Slugger

Thanks. I was thinking of doing that, changing it gradually cup-by-cup.

I just cleaned the tank, but I used only water. The only foreign thing that touched the tank was the hose.. maybe stuff left on it? I don't know. I'm going to take a water sample to the LFS tomorrow; I'll post the results.

I just took some pictures of her. She's in a bowl so it's nearly impossible to get a decent picture.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v382/air...sickcarrot2.jpg

Her from behind.. the best one of her I could get at the moment.

I scared her by changing some of the water so she's listing a slight bit here. It's the most she's been tilted all day though.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v382/air...sickcarrot1.jpg

And here she is picking at the gravel in happier times. She looks bad in this picture, I swear she isn't that.. lumpy and discolored and stuff.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v382/airwens/carrot4.jpg

Hi Airwen - cute little fish :D

Just on cleaning the tank - you could fill it with heavily salted hot water as it will kill anything lurking in there....

I hope she continues to get better - and it's looking like perfect water parameters are doing the trick...

Keep us posted :D

• 3 weeks later...

Hey I'm so sorry it took so long to get back to this! It's been like a month.

Well I finally took my water in for testing today. Everything was perfect. I have no idea why she got sick originally- but she's doing great! She's happily swimming normally around in her bowl now.

Also...

:newfish

I got two Rasboras to put in the 30 gal. I'll add more things to it if they determine that the water is in fact safe. :)

Archived