Guest SneeziePacker

Ammonia "safe"

Nitrite "safe"

Nitrate "safe"

Ph at least 8.4 because color matched highest tested level ***

Ph Level out of the Tap ???

Tank size - 10 gal has been set up for over a year

What kind of Filtration - mechanical with 20% water change every couple weeks

What kind of Water additives or conditioners? added ph reducer (total of 1 tsp) today

Any Medications add to the tank? no

How many fish in the tank and there size? 4 total - 1 tiny glowfish, 1 shark-like, 2 fan tail goldfish

Add any new fish to the tank? the 2 fantail gold fish - added last week

What do you feed your fish? flakes 1 per fish daily

Any unusual findings on the fish? no

Any unusual behavior? first 1 and now the other goldfish are having difficulty remaining upright. First ill fish was "resting" on plants today and later caught up to the filtration pipe. I did a partial water change this morning when I noticed this and then the water testing. I then added the ph reducer -first 1/2 tsp and a few hours later another when 2nd testing was no better. I have now removed the sickest fish to a ziploc and tried feeding him a pea as I read on other sites about "swim bladder". The other non-goldfish appear healthy.

What do I try next? I have seen this before, about a year ago, with other goldfish about 2 weeks after I had added a couple more fish to the tank (although that time the goldfish were NOT the new fish, unlike this time). I have a feeling my goldfish are gonners - sob...

Kathy

Edited to correct typo in title...

Hello,

I'm sorry to hear that your babies are sick :crp :heart I'm keeping my fingers crossed for them in any case!!!

My pH is at the highest on my chart as well, do you use the 5-in-1 quick dip test? I tried to buffer the water down to a more neutral pH once using chemicals, and one hour later my fish all had bloodshot fins. I was told to water-change the buffer out of the water ASAP, and it seemed to help to do that. From what I've learned on here, a higher-than-neutral pH is okay for goldfish, though I'm not sure about the other fish in your tank, are the others tropical?

I'm still very new to goldies, so I don't have much for-sure good advice :unsure: but I'd say that the pH-reducer chemical could possibly be causing extra stress for the fish, you might want to perform a 40-50% water change and start getting the chemical back out of the water. It's possible that the glowfish and shark need a lower pH, but the chemical lowering could shock the goldies.

:hug Hang in there, I'll beam tons of good fishy thoughts your way!

I am sure that someone more experienced will come along very soon to see your questions.

Guest SneeziePacker

Hi and thanks for the reply.

Just to clarify, I only added the ph decreaser AFTER I noticed the unusual behavior - sideways swimming and resting on plants. I did a 20% water change this morning after I saw this and before I added the ph reducer - first 1/2 tsp and then again another 1/2 tsp a few hours later when there was no change in ph or improvement in the fish.

I still have the sickest fish off in a baggie. I can find a larger bowl but don't have an alternative tank. I am afraid he'll get sucked up tight to the filter intake again in the tank because he doesn't seem to be able to control his swimming...

Sorry to hear this.

I will start with some bad news. Gf are very messy fish that produce alot of waste which turns to ammonia and can hurt them. They need 10 gal each of water for them to survive and be healthy. So you are very overstocked. The first thing to recommend is if you want to keep everyone you will need a bigger tank.

Also we don't recommend keeping tropicals in with gf, 2 very different needs.

To help the situation immediatly I would do a 50% water change and post back with the actual #s of the tests. This will help us better to help you.

Guest SneeziePacker

Thanks for the suggestions. Before I saw your post, I had already done a 50% water change and added 2 tsp. of epsom salts to the tank (and put the sickest fish back into the tank). My other goldfish seemed to perk up after eating a couple of skinned peas.

Test results after all of the above:

Ammonia .25

From the 5 tests on a strip (I find these a bit hard to know the accurate number to give you but here's my best shot):

hardness = 150

total alk = 300

pH = 8.4

Nitrate 40

Nitrite 0

Thanks for your thoughts on the overstocking and not mixing goldfish with tropicals. I had been going by the "1 inch of fish per gallon" method but that sounds like it is not true for the goldfish. How would I treat these 2 types of fish differently (as I obviously have not been...)?

Kathy

Guest SneeziePacker

Update - the sickest goldfish has passed on. :cry1

However, the other is doing OK. Not showing any signs of the equilibrium/floating problems. I've fed him a portion of a pea again today.

Hi Kathy - i'm so sorry he didn't make it :( . It sounds as though one of your new guys was suffering from either a parasite or bacterial infection.

To make sure the others remain healthy, it might be an idea to add salt to your tank - take it to 0.1%. Add 1 tsp per gallon. Then if you see anything suspicious at all - take it to 0.3%... so repeat 1tsp per gallon, then 12 hrs later, repeat again..

Bacterial infections are contagious - as are parasites and a fish needs a healthy immune system to fight which is where salt comes in very handy.

Not sure how this will affect your shark.... hopefully someone else can shed some light here... but i'd move your shark if you can while you treat your other fish (unless they can take salt...?)

I hope this helps and good luck :)

Kathy,

You asked about how tropicals and GFs have different needs...the #1 difference is temperature. Goldies prefer a temp in the low 70s.....tropicals around 80. Depending on the type of tropical fish, they may also have different requirements in Ph and water hardness. You mentioned a shark...sharks may be too aggressive to get along with goldies as well. If you have fish with the goldies that nip/chase, this can stress the goldies out and cause sickness.

You are best off getting a separate tank. Since different types of fish can react differently to different bacteria etc, you ideally should have separate supplies for them (algae scraper, vacuum etc).

Archived