55 Gallon Goldie Tank Is Tanking

Guest kscoleman

Guest kscoleman

Hi,

Well, I am in trouble for sure. I have an established tank with 5 goldfish that I have had for 2-4 years. Six months ago I moved some tropical fish from a 55 gal. tank to a new 125 gallon. I moved 5 goldfish into the cycled 55 gal. from a 35 gal. I have been treating one of the tropicals (gold gourami) for flukes in a 10 gal. hospital tank because he was thin and there was some flashing with the gold barbs which were his tank mates for 4 years. The gourami was thin, listless, and had quit eating. I started with pepso food, got him to eat, but not put on weight. I tried Parasite Clear by Jungle for internal as well as perhaps flukes. He is active, eating, but still thin. Anyway, while waiting to see if he would fatten up, I decided to use Parasite Clear on all 4 of my goldfish tanks since the 5 goldies mentioned before went into the tank the gourami was in prior to my getting the big tank. I used the Parasite Clear on day 1,3, and 5 and again 4 days later with appropriate water changes etc. On day four 1 fish in 2 diffeent tanks had ich. Salted the water to 3% in divided doses and increased temp to 80 degrees. One tank is fine and flourishing. The other one with my 5 favorite fish is crashing. I have 3 Pom Pom goldies, a Ryunkin, and an Oranda. The Ryunkin got the ich but it cleared within 5 days of starting treatment and no one else got sick until 2 of the Pom Poms had major fin shredding (tail rot) so I started feeding Medi-Gold to all. After 5 days the Oranda and smallest Pom Pom quit eating. The Oranda floats most of every day for the past 3months but recently was on the bottom more while I was feeing Medi-Gold. When she quit eating she began floating and could not get to the sinking food. The bigger Pom Poms were doing better, moving about again and eating yesterday. Because the Oranda and small Pom Pom were not eating, I decided to use Maracyn 1 and 2 and discontinue the Medi-Gold. This morning everyone is listless but all ate a little of the flakes except the Oranda. The Oranda has slight pineconing today so I moved her to a 10 gal. with epsom salt, and am increasing the temp to 86 degrees. I know I should not have switched meds but since 2 were not eating I felt I had to do something. The Medi-Gold had stopped the tail rot and the one with the worst was feeling better. Any suggestions? I check routinely for Nitrites and Ammonia and have had no problems. My pH is usually 8 out of the tap and in my tanks. I do water changes weekly or more often if needed. I feed various foods including soaked flakes, soaked freeze dries bloodworms, and shelled and cooked frozen peas. I use a Whisper filter on all my tanks except the 125 gallon. After reading this site a bit I am going to get a nitrate kit since there seems to be some floating in fish with nitrate levels. I need to check it out because it seems that every so often I have another floater and I hate that. I hope I have been clear in my discription. Any help would be welcome!

Hello,

I am very new to goldies so I'm not too great on advice, but I will keep my fingers crossed for your little ones!! :heart

My tank went through an ugly battle with ich and secondary bacterial infections a few weeks ago, and all of my four goldies were dropsied at one point. I ordered MediGold and MetroMed for them, and ended up feeding them the MetroMed b/c I had heard on here that it had a better effect on dropsy. Indeed, all of the fish were no longer pineconed after a day or two, though I was also treating them with 0.6% salt baths, which I think helped draw excess fluid out of their bodies.. (http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=28453)

I am sure that someone more experienced than I will be along soon to help, but in the meantime, they might want to get your water parameters - that's usually what they ask me for right away :)

:hug Thinking good fishy thoughts for your babies!!

did you do water changes between the fluke tabs and the maracyn? or am i confised and those different tanks...

sometimes "mixing" med can cause stress.. but the oranda sounds like dropsy to me... i have tried maracyn and maracyn 2 for dropsy on bettas and i didnt work for me... but that doesnt mean it wouldnt work for you. just a thought.

i'll wait till someone with more experiance comes, but maybe a water change will be in order....

GOOD LUCK!

Guest kscoleman

Hi, thanks for responding. When I was trying to decide what I wanted to treat the fin rot with I did filter out the Parasite Clear with carbon for 36 hours. I was trying to decide between the Maracyn 1 and 2 and the Medi-Gold which I recently purchased for the first time. Since they were all eating at the start of my adding the meds for the tail rot, I decided to go with the Medi-Gold. It was working great until the 2 stopped eating. That is when I switched to Maracyn 1 and 2. Today I have to add the second dose. I am a little nervous. No happy faces to great me today, everyone is resting on the bottom for the most part. P.S. I do use Start Right by Jungle to condition my new water and an approved aquarium salt. The 3 percent salt treatment for ich started on 4-14 and I am continuing to keep the salt up for awhile longer. Thanks again!

Guest kscoleman

Oh yes. I forgot to mentiion that the Oranda has now sunk to the bottom but is still not right. Tried to get her to eat Metro-Med now that she can get to it but she is not interested. This is the fourth goldfish that has developed dropsy on me the past year. The first one was a beautiful Oranda that had an accident with my Python hose I use for my water changes. She swelled up 5 days after the accident, I got her back down with Epsom salt and heat and 5 more days went by before she developed a secondary infection most likely and died quickly. The second was a Black Oranda that became inactive but was still eating so I did nothing. After 2 months of being more quiet, he pineconed. He died a week after initially responding to Epsom salt and heat. The third was an Oranda I had for 4 years that had a tumor on his wen. It was removed two different times a year apart when it became necrotic. When it started to regrow the third time there was a second tumor by his tail right next to his body so I had planned to euthanize him when the wen tumor got bad again. When he pineconed about the time I knew he was going to have to be euthanized, I just got out the clove oil. It is a humane way to go when there are no other choices left.

About a year ago I had a problem with my gourami (3 golds) and barb (6 golds) tank when the filter froze up and I did not catch it for 24-36 hours. Three barbs got septic (2 died), one jumped out of the tank when I was doing all the water changes and I must have counted somebody twice and missed it, and the other 3 did fine except one developed dropsy after 2-3 weeks. I moved the 3 to a hospital tank and did the heat and Epsom salt thing. That is the only fish I have had recover from Dropsy. Although I enjoy the barbs they are not individually named and talked to like my goldies!

Archived