Male And Female Rubberlips

LaurieP

How do you tell the difference? I have a little rubberlip "Mick" he is about 2 inches from tip to tip, not at all very big. He doesn't seem to be growing at all, so I am thinking of adding another. I know that any animal can be territorial, so I don't know which would be better, the same sex or different? That is if I can tell the difference. :blink: Oh guess I should say I have no idea if "Mick" is a boy or girl, just called him that cause of his lips.......Mick Jagger. ;)

hey laurie,

Im not 100% sure but i think you can tell the sex by the color...

If its lighter its a male and darker is a female, ill go look around

for you.,

EDIT: I didn't find much over the net, sorry.... I hopefully someone will know for

sure,

Alex

is it the same as a bristlenose?

if so then you cant tell until they are mature and the male has longer and bushier bristles. mine is a female as she doesnt have that much in the way of a *beard*.

• Admin

Rubbernose is also called a bulldog pleco....you cant tell by the color of the fish nor bristles on the nose since they are a smooth nose pleco hence the name rubbernose...... :D

Laurie.....I found some photos :D

Female

http://www.planetcatfish.com/catelog/loric...etost/318_4.php

Male

http://www.planetcatfish.com/catelog/loric...etost/318_6.php

• Admin

One thing I see the difference is that the males anal fins are much longer and thicker than the females :o

Thanks, by the looks of the pics I think Mick is maybe a girl??? Man there isn't much difference at all!!

So is getting a same sex one better or the opposite??

Those pics are really helpfull. Now if I can only get them to come out of hidding so I can compare :rofl

Archived