Coldsore, Photo Attached.

Guest podded_pea

Guest podded_pea

Hi folks, I'd appreciate any ideas you might have on this pls!

I'd described my fishes "illness" to Sandy a few weeks ago and when she said it was probably a burst blister it seemed very reasonable, so I've been adding Melafix in the hope it went. However it actually seems to be getting worse not better, but still resembles v.closely exactly what a burst blister would look like. He isnt bothered by it, is still using his nose to shunt pebbles out the way, and is eating fine. The inside of his mouth looks clean and he shows no other signs of illness. It definately doesnt look fungusy.

percy_mouth.jpg

Any other thoughts on what it might be? I am rather worried it will start to eat into his lip...whatever it is....

Thanks!

Guest podded_pea

Sorry forgot the info usually required, tank is cycling still, its 3 weeks old, Nitrites are never above 0.2, Ammonia is never above 0.25, Nitrates are between 10 and 50 mg/l. Ph is a constant 8.2. Its a 28 gallons Juwel Rekord, 50% water changed every 2 days, its at 22-24C. Its got the built in Juwel filter running and a Fluval 2+ running in it, barebottomed set up.

Tank set up easiest to show by photo.

obf_percyandcedric_nt3.jpg

Pea how long has it been there?

Sorry to say I have no idea, just wanted to ask how long it has been there and how the fish is acting.

With a cycling tank anything is possible. I have seen fish respond differently presenting with symptoms not associated with the normal problems of a cycling tank.

I know myself that I have had a couple fish develop problems such as hurt fins, swelling of eyes, lips and bumps on the fins and within a day or two it is gone with no damage left behind.

Hopefully someone that is more knowledgable of this type of thing will be along shortly.

Keep us posted I hope he does well for you................gorgeous tank btw.

a thought, could he be catchin his mout on something? sharp stone? and cutting himself - but not enough to bleed?

i did wonder maybe mouh rot - but you say "definately doesnt look fungusy" so i doublt it.

not sure really hun, sorry.

sorry i havent a clue either as theres no other symptoms. as it looks like its being eaten away it could be bacterial. has it gotten any better or worse since it showed?

was there a blister to begin with or did it always look like this?

try to get the nitrite to .1%.

Guest podded_pea

Hi Laurie :) Thanks for replying, he's had it for a while now, erm...11th April was when I first noticed it, a week after they moved into the new tank. Thanks for the ideas on cycling, it could be something like that, he's the same one who had black spots when they were in the old tank, so it can be he's effected by stuff when the other fish isnt. I have been treating it as if it was a blister, clean water, melafix.. but it hasnt healed up. Thanks for the comment on the tank too.

Lozza :) You;re right it could be something like that, infact...mebbe it is. I suppose there is the "grill" thing on the top of the Juwel filter...he could be trying to suck stuff out of there.... cant think of anything else in the tank with very sharp edges... the rose quartz mebbe? Any other ideas for things it could be... and do you cover that intake thing on your filter with anything? I could do with stealing an idea to cover it, incase thats it.

Sandy :) Thanks for replyin! do you cover the grill on your filter with anything? erm... I didnt notice a blister before it appeared, but it looked so much like a blister, when you said it first time, I just thought " oh yes thats what it must be". His lip seems to be intact underneath it... I am just panicing that at some point it wont be, you know?

i dont cover mine with anything, but i have seen mine try and get pellets that are stuck in it - they dont bother anymore.

Hope he's okay :)

Guest podded_pea

Ta Loz, I have stretched some tights over a hoop of air tube and its now dangling infront of that grill..if it is that, hopefully I'll see some improvement now. I've remelafixed too... fins crossed :)

Ya still got that MediGold? I'd feed him that incase it is bacterial, or even if it's an injury, feeding the MediGold will help him stay strong against any kind of nasty bacteria that might try to set in there. Have you tried salting the tank? What about swabbing those lips with some iodine? :blink:

Guest podded_pea

Wooot lovely Erika :D Thankyou! top tips! I have some of the "special mysterious fish food" left... good plan, i will feed him that from now on... ( ta for the offer lozza!)

The tank has been salted for the past 2 ish weeks to 0.3% mainly cos of the nitrite issue, but I have started to ease off before the plants kark it. It didn't seem to alter anything.... erm....

Iodine? hum.... ok.. I could do that... i'll start at the chemists? Do chemists sell iodine? I am soooo not a chemistry student :)

Thanks so much for replying xxx

this isnt the fish with the mold is it pea? if not could you have cross contaminated the tanks with nets, etc?

just thinking out loud. how is the fish with the mold doing now? better, worse, no different?

Guest podded_pea

Ner this is Percy one of the new fish... and the only thing in common between the tanks is me...and I wash inbetween changing tanks..they dont even have a bucket the same for the waste water... I am strict about such things :) Its literally flaps of skin..no fuzz, no mould and the tissue underneath looks healthy enough... I have looked at SO many picture of mould of late I can state..it aint mould... It looks precisely as you suggested first off... like a burst blister. Oddly tho.. today when I look in, Cedric ( his cohabitant) has a scratch in an identical place.. I am now thinking..its something in the tank they are cutting it on...and mebbe not the grill cos I have covered that up. :/

Boy with the mould is having a week of 0.3 % salt in the tank, and a few weeks off.. in a cycle... its slowly improving things... and a dose of eSHa 2000 in the weeks without salt everytime, is also slowly knocking it on the head where all else has failed. It may be that the salt bath would have worked. His tumour tho is now the size of a marble, so in all honesty I just do everything gently now with him. Percy's mouth doesnt look like mouth fungus, I have sought out some pictures online just to make sure too.... reminds me, I should go find Daryls thread about her issue she had....

Thanks for any thoughts Sands, I could do with the mental fodder to help come up with an answer!

Guest Morten33

I am sorry that I do not have any advice for you. I know what it's like to have something wrong with your fish, that no one is certain about.

I actually have a question for you, where did you get the wood in your tank? I LOVE LOVE LOVE your tank by the way. I have a barebottom myself, but it is only a 10gal. I am getting ready to set up my 46gal. But I can't find any cool drift wood at the pet store. I am looking maybe for fake drift wood...any ideas?

Thanks!

Emily

• 1 month later...
Guest podded_pea

Am sorry Morten , I havent been on for a while to reply to you...

I got the wood roots from an LFS, they were actually in the tropical section. they are obviously fake, and I tried to choose one big enuf for a goldie to get thru... They actually had plenty of fake wood things, ones with plants attached too..so good luck with your quest, if you havent already filled it by now! :heart

Archived