Suddenly Cloudy Water

Over the past week, my tank has gotten really cloudy. It cycled over a month ago, water params are all reading normal.

Its a 55 gallon, heavily planted tank. I add flora pride to my water for my plants, but I havent been adding it for a couple of weeks due to an outburst of algea (which has finally cleared!) I have three goldies and 2 bristlenose pleco's in there. I did a partial water change yesturday, and the water was alittle cloudy then, but nothing like it is today. Last week I changed both filter pads in 1 of my filters, but left the other two filter pads in my second filter.

Ammonia: 0ppm

Nitrites: 0ppm

Nitrates: 15ppm

What could it be?

I changed them because it was way past due. Some people call it filter floss, with the carbon and all. It hadnt been changed in like three months because I was afraid to change any of them through the cycle, because I didnt want to loose any bio bugs. Since its been cycled for awhile now, I thought it was due time to change two of them. I only do one filter at a time, so I dont loose alot of bio bugs. And the cloudiness looks like fog. Water params are still the same as yesturday.

I wouldn't change out filter pads till they're soooo stopped up that smacking them against something won't clear them. You can cut a slit in the top and dump out the old carbon.

Sounds like a bacterial bloom. The bacteria that eat debris in the tank go nutso multiplying in new tanks. I don't know what causes them to do that. From what I've read, partial water changes may help and it should resolve in a week or so on its own.

Well, i think ive figured out whats going on in my tank. Their not bacterial blooms. When i saw the cloudiness, I feared it was free floating algea in the water. yesturday, when I looked into the tank, it was so clouded I couldnt see the fish well when they swam to the back of the tank. Well today, it has turned slightly green. I feared this. I had this problem in a 10 gallon a couple years back, and I had such a hard time getting rid of it. I dont even think I ever did, it got so bad, I got a bigger tank and never had a problem with it again. My tank is very heavily planted. How could there be that much nutrients in there! Ive heard UV sterilizers will get rid of it. Is it true? Ive never used one before. Whats the average price? Can they hook up to canister filters?

Yea, the pond folks use UVs for that. and I dunno on the price. Should be able to hook it up to a cannister filter. Would you post links to the ones you find? (I've been thinking of getting one, but haven't had the time to do the research).

Back when I had an algae bloom in my 55, I had good luck with daphnia in a breeder net, massive partial water changes and cutting back on the amount of light for a while.

How's your nitrAte running? How much of what type of light for how long? What kinda substrate are you using? and are you dosing with ferts, etc? What about CO2?

Whats daphnia? Ive never heard of it.

My nitrAtes are reading 15 ppms, most of the 10ppms. I had a problem with algea growing on on the walls of the tank bad, but once I added a few more plants, and got a pleco, its pretty much almost all gone except on the back wall (which I dont mind now thats it green instead of that icky brown). I have small black pebble substrate, with large river rocks on top to anchor the plants down. I dont use any of the plant substrate, because my plants have been soooo healthy without it, I just add the water supplements for them. its flora pride. I used to add it everytime I did a water change, but now I only add alittle bit once a month. Plants are growing like weeds. I have a coralife light attached to my tank. So my tank doesnt have a hood on it because these lights are bracketed on and kinda suspend above the tank. I have prob. 4 watts per gallon. The ficture has 2 plant lights in it, and 2 moon lights, which dont get turned on along with the plants lights because then I have light double the watts per gallon, and would have major algea problems! In the morning, the moon lights click on around 11am, then click off around 11:30 and then the plant lights click on, until 6:30pm and then the moon lights click back on for another half an hour to 45 minutes. I used to have the lights on starting at 9am and then click off at 11pm or so. Way too much light. I had such bad algea problems, but not algea blooms like this. Since the problem started, im keeping the lights off as much as possible, but do turn them on for a couple of hours for the lights. Im going to go out today and look around for a UV sterilizer. Ill do some research online about which ones are any good. Ill post them up for ya.

• 1 month later...
Guest RoreeMangoandBella
:lol: Thank you so much for the advice using Daphnia! I had to purchase a batch online and waited 3 days for them to arrive. In the meantime, I did a 50% water change and reduced my lighting to 4 hours (from 12). On the day the Daphnia arrived, I placed them in a breeder tank. By the next morning, my tank was considerably clearer, so much so that I didn't think another drastic water change was necessary. Within 72 hours, my tank was back to normal, although the poor Daphnia didn't survive longer than a week without the algae to eat. My goldies enjoyed the delicacy though! I was so happy to see this alternative without the use of chemicals and methods which would have really stressed my fish.

I ordered mine from Dallas Discus. seems like it was about $15 with shipping. Check the live foods section on aquabid.

You can keep them alive after they clear the green water. I've had the culture going for over a year now in tubs in the back yard. but they only need like a gallon of water to live in. They'll eat yeast and crushed up fish flakes and are great food for goldies.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest BlackStripe

The cloudy water, in my case, was definitely the start of algae blooms. I had "pea soup" water for about a month and got a UV sterilizer. I worked great! Here's the information about the one I got...I would highly recommend it, especially if your tank is in an area that gets a lot of indirect light.

https://www.goldfishconnection.com/shop/det...Id=129&catId=23

Archived