Brown Spots

Guest hross

Guest hross

Ammonia Level? 0

Nitrate level? 20

Ph Level? 6.8

Ph Level out of the Tap? dont know

Tank size(How many Gals) and How long has it been running? 2.5 gallons; over a year

What kind of Filtration? air stone

How often do you change the water and how much? once a week; 40% or more

What kind of Water additives or conditioners? wardley's "chlor out"

Any Medications add to the tank? a while ago, algae out

How many fish in the tank and there size? 2; one is 3" the other is 1"

Add any new fish to the tank? yes, the 1"

What do you feed your fish? nutrafin color enhancing pellets

Any unusual findings on the fish? Such as "grains of salt", bloody streaks, frayed fins, fungus? brown spotting- certain scales are colored brown, and there are brown streaks in 2 fins

Any unusual behavior? Like staying at the bottom, not eating, ect..? When it hasn't been fed, the fish has a clamped upper fin, and sometimes swims erratically. It has a strong appetite, and after it has eaten, the behavior is normal.

If you can what is the chloramines Level from the Tap? don't know

I have a photograph (I had the fishes in a smaller container for a water change): The goldfish on the right: tv002-vi.jpg

I've had this fish for over a year without any problem. I bought a new fish just about 2 weeks ago, and the attitude of this fish immediately changed. It has been acting stressed for the past 2 weeks, and the brown spots just appeared within the past 2 days. Today I changed the water, added non-iodized salt and some stress coat conditioner. The only thing I can think of is that it's velvet parasites-- any thoughts?

Hi Hross,

Welcome to Koko's! :welcome

The bad news is that with 2 1/2 gls, your severaly overstocked and walking a very fine line of killing both.

Goldfish need 10 gals each...... and IMHO, what your seeing in the fins is signs of stress, and looks to be ammonia burn. With a tank that size and two goldies you need to be changing the water daily....

Stress coat has aloe, which can coat the gills and as such, is not something I care to use, nor do is the algae out, as your subjecting them to a poison that deletes o2 from the water.

Goldies are little manure factory's, and along with needing to get them into a proper size tank, the filtration should go along with it, filters should be 10 times tank size gph for goldies.

You should be testing for nitrite as well as nitrates, Nitrite is just as deadly as ammonia.

If you can, move them with there filter into a bigger container, anything will do, a cheap way to solve a problem is generally a rubbermaid storage tub. Otherwise I recomend getting them moved up to something considerably better, even a 10 gl for a time.

Salt to 0.1%, thats 1 tsp per gl, rock salt, canning salt, Sea Salt, AQ salt, any of those will do so long as it doesn't contain YPS (yellow prusiate of Soda) .

I would also recomend adding a nitrite and a kh test kit, and salt level test kit .

Please to check there gills, they should be meat red and not dull, slimey looking, tattered or raggedly.....

Hope this helps and hope your fishy's get to feeling better. Post back soon

Guest hross

Thank you for your quick response.

After posting I consumed myself with trying to find information, and I came with the same conclusion- but didn't see any pictures of what ammonia burn looks like, so I was still unsure.

When buying the fish initially, I was told at the petstore that the rule of thumb is one fish per gallon. And when I bought the second fish, I inquired at a different store, and was told the same thing.

My nitrite level is at 0; I have been testing it-- I have that listed as "ammonia" at the top of the list of my previous post.

Out of all the tests that I do, ammonia was always safe and taken care of, so I'm alarmed that this would have been the problem. This spotting has never happened in the past, and the water has been very consistant.

In addition, I put the algea out when the fish were not in the tank- and did a 80% water change after it had set; then did another water change the following day.

The gills are bright red, no sign of tattering :)

So long as I upgrade the tank-- will my fish be alright? Or are there any other measures I should do to treat this?

Hi hross - and i second the welcome :D

Your fish should be ok if you can do waterchanges each and every day. I hope i'm not getting this wrong but from what i can gather you have no filter?

If that's the case then you should be seeing ammonia in your water each day which is why i may be wrong and you do have a filter? :blink:

Other than that, just as Kathy mentioned, add 1 teaspoon of salt per gallon and try to ensure perfect water conditions - this should see some improvement. If not, then the field can be narrowed and an other alternative sought.

Great to hear you're going to get a bigger tank - that'll make life better for both you and your little guys. :D

*grins* I'm with Jen on that, if they don't improve, then we look further. But I think given a bigger tank, good filtration and some tlc, they should improve.

Yes, petshops employee's often quote tropical fish rule of thumb...... and even at that, I think its way off, one inch of fish per gl as even some tropicals get fairly big.... The petshops are in buisness to sell, and you will be back, weather to buy meds, or replace fish. Its hard to find really good petshops, and when you do, they are generally a bit more spendy, but the tanks are clean, the advice is sound and they "know" what they are doing. And they will actually give you the right meds.......

Ammonia burns will turn black before they get better as a rule. Just like us in more ways then we think.... :D

Keep us posted/updated and if you have any more problems don't hesitate to post up! :)

Guest hross

thanks everyone for your speedy responses; I'm so thrilled that I found this forum!

You can take this off of the emergency board :)

Guest hross

Yes, thankfully! Instead of using treated water, I bought distilled... both ammonia levels (nitrates and nitrites) are at zero... no new spots... and the existing spots are getting darker.

The stressed attitude is subsiding, and he's a happy fish once more.

Thanks everyone for your help.

Did you buy true distilled water or just bottled water?

If it is true distilled water - know that you can't use that for all of your water changes. There are minerals and such in regular water that you must add back in when you use distilled water to keep your fishie healthy! (It's the same idea that the people using R/O water have to do)

If it's bottled water - you're prob OK.

Hope this helps!

:D Jenn

PS - I started with 2 in a 2.5 gal tank & now have so many tanks. I have to say though - they're much much happier & healthier in their new homes!

Jenn's absolutely right :D Both bottled and distilled water are missing essential electrolytes but for this purpose - it should be ok if you're adding salt.

Keep us posted and hopefully there'll be continued improvement :D

Archived