First Time Testing Water

Guest kyfishlvr

Guest kyfishlvr

:newfish Hi to all !! I have had my 2 fisheys since Feb. and I recently moved them to a 29 gallon tank. I had never tested my water, but went ahead and bought some of those test strips at the store tonight. I know, I was already advised that I should use something else, but I figured I'd just get something simple at first, to learn with. SO ...here are my results, and I was wondering if any of you "old pros" might be able to advise me. As far as I can tell everything looks alright .... they have just been in their new tank for a week now. :) Thanks guys !

Nitrate 20

Nitrite .5

Water hardness HARD

Alkalinity 80

pH 7.8

:fishtank:

Guest VxShady

Did you get ammonia test kits? That one is really really important especially since it looks like you still are cycling.

Remember if you're using Amquel for a water condition you'll have to get the test tube kit for ammonia.

Guest kyfishlvr

I have something in a bright yellow bottle, called AquaSafe. Brand is TetraAqua. I'll be sure to pick up an ammonia test kit while I'm out. I was thinking of going Pleco shopping today ??!! I looked at our nnnnnn last night, and the Plecos were actually EATING off of other DEAD fish that were in the tank :crp !SOOO ... we thought that we would try mmm today ... First Pleco I had only lasted like 2 days ... I already have my 5 gallon tank ready for the quarantine period. Not to change subject, but what is a good time rule to go by, as far as keeping a new fish separate from the others ? :idont

Common plecos can get 2 FEET long and get rather aggressive as they age. Unless you have a HUGE tank, don't get a common pleco. They've been known to hurt goldies.

I generally QT for 30 days.

Guest kyfishlvr
:o WOAH ! I definately don't want a 2 foot pleco !! So I should be looking for a rubbernose Pleco or a dojo ???

A rubberlip pleco go well with gf. I have one myself. They don't get that big and are pretty mild in temperment.

Archived