Trying Everything But My Fish Keep Dying

Guest mmarro

Guest mmarro

Someone, anyone, please help! I have had a 10 gal. tank for over a month and all of my fish die. I don't even think it's had a chance to cycle because no fish will live longer than a few days. I started w/tropicals and decided on goldfish because I think they're so cute! So far I've had 4 goldfish die and for no known reason. My water levels are fine, filter is fine, bubbles are fine, everything's fine but they all of a sudden start acting funny and die. Can anyone suggest what could be going on? I hate to see them suffer. They start happy and healthy and by day 2 if they make it that long, they're dying. I just added 2 more black moors yesterday and one is on the way out already and the other is starting to act funny. Any help would greatly be appreciated. Thanks~!

Well, goldfish are dirty and need AT LEAST 10 gallons PER fish!!! So you said you added 2 moors, so your overstocked while cycling.

What are your water levels, what type of filter od you have? etc...fill us in and we can help you better!

Guest mmarro

pH is 7.2 Nitrates and Nitrites are trace water is soft (25) and alkalinity is between 240-300. Is that my problem? How can I fix it?

I have a Penn Plax external cascade filter. I used to have an internal Tetra Whisper power filter but it seemed to make the current too strong for the fish so I switched to this one.

Thanks so much!!!!

Hi, I moved your thread into the diagnosis area so that we can help you better.

Christi is right gf are very messy and need 10 gal each to keep their waste from harming them.

To start you will see a white box at the top of the page, we need you to answer all those questions for us.

We know that water quality means everything to a fish, my bet is that while your tank is cycling it is hurting the fish. Even trace amounts of ammonia, nitrites can hurt and kill a fish. So if you would be so nice as to post the numbers we can help you to cycle the tank with a fish in it.

It is alot of work which require daily water changes, sometimes twice a day along with testing, yes sometimes twice daily as well.

Do you have any fish in the tank now? Post back soon and hopefully we can work together to help you.

Guest mmarro

My ammonia level is close to 0. I used Tetra AquaSafe as a water conditioner. Before I put the fish in I lowered the pH because out of the tap my pH is a little over 8.0. I have one fish that's acting ok right now but the smaller is on the bottom on its side. Earlier it was going near the filter and "getting stuck" there. That's what happened with all of my other fish except w/the internal filter, they were getting sucked either in or onto it. The fish were all very healthy at the store and look beautiful. Since I've only had them since yesterday, they fed yesterday once and this morning. I use Tetra Goldfish Crisps. I've had the tank for about 6 weeks and every fish I've put in it has died. I changed the filter, changed the water and ran it for quite a while before adding these 2 fish.

Messing with the ph could be causing a problem. Most gf can handle a wide range of ph's as long as they stay stable and not bounce up or down. Down is alot worse than up though. This can cause acute illness. You will need to test the ph before and after a water change and make sure they are with in 0.2 of each other. This will help.

I would also recommend reading up on cycling a tank. This is highly important. Cleaning the filter and changing the filter can destroy good bacteria. Read up on cycling and if you have questions please feel free to ask us.

Post back soon...........with the rest of the info.

Guest mmarro

I've tested the water from the pet store and the levels were just horrible. High ammonia, extremely low pH, extremely hard water etc. I haven't lowered the pH with the fish in the tank. The new filter has been running for a week and I added Cycle to help cycle the tank. I've read about cycling and done everything according to what I've read but nothing seems to be working. Should I change some of the water? Thanks so much!

Ok, I am not sure if you understand about the ph or the cycling so hopefully I can explain it better.

A fish doesn't have to be in the water when the ph is changed. For example if the ph in the tank is 8.0 and you take the fish out while doing a water change and while doing that you adjust the ph to 7.4 or whatever and then put the fish back.........this causes extreme stress to the fish and can cause illness.

Another example is the store tank is ph 8.0 and you bring home the fish to a 7.2 ph boom same thing sick fish.

Make sense???

Now with the cycling you will need to test for ammonia, nitrites and nitrates........the other stuff we will get to. Post those numbers.

It takes a while for the cycle to get in place meanwhile you and the fish play a balencing game (life or death) on cycling the tank while keeping the affects from killing the fish. You will need to monitor the levels twice a day.

Guest mmarro

Nitrates are between 0-20 and Nitrites are between 0 and .5

I get what you're saying now about the pH. Thanks! With the pH being so low from the store, I lowered my pH to 7.2 thinking that would be ok for them to adjust to. I really appreciate your help with this. I hope I'm answering your questions correctly.

Great sounds like we are on the same page.

What does your tank's ph stay at? Or does it bounce around? What is the ph out of the tap?

Cycling a tank is very stressful for fish. They can get sick very easy, this is my guess on what is going on. I would do daily water changes to help with this process. You can add aquarium salt to help with dealing with nitrites. 1 teaspoon per gal.

Guest mmarro

My tank stays pretty much around 7.4. Out of the tap though the water is 8.0 or higher (which is why I added pH down to the water before putting the fish in). I did about a 20% water change last night and the fish survived the night. My bigger fish is lighter in color today w/a small lighter patch on its side. The smaller fish was just swimming around the tank looking for food when I left for work. When I get home I will do another water change and add some salt. What would be the best pH to keep my gf at? The lower the better? Thanks for your help!

I would do a little test on the ph, test it directly out of the tap and record the results, once it is in the tank wait about an hour and test the tank's ph and do this until you see when the drop is and how much.

Gf can stand a wide range of ph's, as long as it is stable and doesn't bounce around. Make sense??

Do you have anything in your tank like decorations that can fluctuate the ph? Stuff like certain rocks.

Guest mmarro

I will test my pH again out of the tap and in the tank. I do have decorations but they are all plastic and smooth-edged. (don't want any eyes to get poked) Thanks.

Guest mmarro

ok I tested my pH its about 7.4. Out of the tap its about 7.8. My ammonia was about .50. I did another 20% water change just now (3:10pm EST).My nitrates and nitrites were low. Hopefully my fish will thrive. They ate like little piggies when I got home from work and are swimming around pretty well. The water change didn't seem to bother them too much. That's the latest. Please keep giving me as much advice as possible. Thanks!

Guest mmarro

Just an update that I lost my smaller fish this morning after breakfast. He had developed ich and I was treating w/salt and raised the temp to 80 until my ich medicine arrived. The bigger fish, still paler than the smaller seems to be doing ok. He's swimming swimming swimming, eating like a piggie, pooping pink (color of his food) though he seems to be missing some scales behind his gill. He had some ich-y looking spots on his tail but they were less noticeable this morning. I am still doing 20% water changes daily in order to keep my fish as healthy as I can during the cycling period. I also just noticed that my Nitrate test kit was sold to me w/2 bottles of the same solution instead of bottle 1 and bottle 2. I will be fixing that problem today. My levels are all ok otherwise. I don't want to lose this fish. I've lost so many fish already, it's becoming really disheartening. I don't want to be a fish failure. Is there anything more I could be doing? What could those missing scale patches be? Should I be worried? There is no red in his fins, no cottony blotches, just a little speck here and there on his tail of ich-looking stuff. I'm not sure if I should continue w/the high temp in the tank and salt since my other fish died. Thanks

I would continue like you are doing.

It takes time and patience when you are cycling a tank. The fish suffers and it is "walking" the tight rope of cycling vs. healthy fish.

I would like to know what the results of the nitrates are once you have the correct testing bottles.

post back soon---keep with it.

Guest mmarro

nitrates are between 0 and 5.0 right now. Would it be bad to add water from an already established tank to help the process along?

Guest mmarro

just a little update...my other fish died thurs. My water param's are up to par so I'm guessing the stress had its way w/him. I bought a new Calico today and so far so good. I did add the water from his bag (maybe 2 cups) into my tank. This was the healthiest and prettiest bunch I've seen at this store. The black moors had a floater and some ich as did the regular fantails. We'll see how this goes...I refuse to give up!

Archived