Poll:where Did You Keep Your 1st Goldie?

Guest Esareh

Where did you keep your 1st goldie?  

81 members have voted

1. 1. Where did you keep your 1st goldie?

• cup
    • bowl
    • 10 gallon tank or smaller
    • 11 gallon tank or bigger
    • a critter keeper
    • other

Guest Esareh

Be honest. We can see how much we have grown over the years. ill be honest. I kept mine in a bowl. ldied the next day.

My first goldfish was actually kept in a ten gal. tank; the same one I still use today as the quarantine tank. However, I did have four commons contained in that tank.

My very first goldie (lionhead) started in a 10 gallon tank. A few days

later, no more. (didn't know about cycling) The next goldie (fantail)

was in the 10 gallon along with a couple other fish. The 10 gallon is

now currently a planted tropical tank, and the fantail is running around

in a 125 gallon tank.

My how things have changed for me over 2 1/2 years. :yikes And my fish. :)

4 gf and 4 tropical fish in a 10 gal tank :$ (I think)

nooppee said theyd be fine.All the tropical's dies except 2 platies.And all gf except 2.One of the platies died a month ago but the others are alive.Now the goldies are in a 55 gall and the platies in a 10 gall.

my very first 2 goldies, Heimlich (a red oranda) and Dotti (a redcap) were the replacements of a 10 gl tank of tropicals that had died. Despite all my mishaps and mistakes, at least Heimlich made it 2 years with me, and at my worst I had 12 fully grown goldies in a 55 gl tank! :thud These days in that same 55 gl tank there are 3 goldies... :lol:

man, I had 2 of mine in a kritter keeper with no filters or anything for awhile! theyre still alive and kickin today though! My lily lived in a cereal bowl for a few days when I frst got her! now they all live in a 40 gal withall the extra necessities~

Guest fishier

hhahaha, man, that was a long time ago

it was like a HUGE tank--

a BIG birthday present

11 fish in all;

and they died ... chronologically ((i think that's the word))

1 week after i got them.

i still don't know why?

so depressing

My Very first goldfish ... hmmm i can't remember....

I think i kept them in a overstocked 10 gallon, and in the summer

i would put them outside in the pond, sadly my father forced me to get rid

of them because they got anchor worm and the medications cost to

much ehhh....

a "medium" kritter keeper with a pump... then to a 10 when my mom got tired of not being able to see the fish... o.o

A friend of mine has a daughter who just turned three. I was at her b-day party and she ended up with three fancies in a bowl. :newfish In about 2 gallons max.<_< I didnt wanna say nething then. But he called today(the day after) and asked why the fish were crowding at the top. I said its probably cuz of not enough O2. Is that right? Ne how it worked and he asked for advice. :happydance I said how goldies should have min 10 gallons/goldie. And since I have to move I said Id sell him my 20 gallon for $50. He still thinks goldies dont need a filter but I said it comes with one nehow, not good enough for my goldies but it was used for tropical, plus an extra cheapy filter. So hes thinking about it. :D I also explained how that in a bowl the only way they will stay alive long is if that water is changed EVERYDAY. So hopefully he takes my advice to heart. Not just for the goldies but so his duaghter doesnt need to see her new fishies dead one morning. :crp

Guest VxShady

Umm.. kinda don't wanna tell my story. But here it goes.

My first ever! I was like 7! They were in a bowl! Lasted all of 12 hours! There were two of them!

So what happened was..

I still feel terrible.

So I'm 7 years old, I get two goldys, put them in a bowl, and then the next day notice the bowls dirty. So I decide to clean it out and give them fresh water. Great idea, right? WRONG! I'm thinkin.. fishy's need to be warm too!

I boiled my first two goldfish. Not literally boiled. But the water was pretty hot. Coldwater fish. Yeah. Yeah they are. :cry1

Well, my first goldfish tank was this little one gallon tank, that looked like a mini TV screen. I thought it looked really cool. First i tried a few guppies in there, no luck. All of them died in a week. Then I decided goldfish would be a great addition (I had no idea what size tank goldies went into, I knew nothing about them, i was clueless). I ended up buying three commons and 1 3 inche calico runkin. Two of the commons died within a week or so, and the runkin just sat at the bottom, and eventually died in two weeks. I had no idea what was wrong. I just figured they were sick when i got them, or old (I told you, I was clueless then). I decided to keep the one common who did survive in that tank. I kept him in there for along time, maybe a year or so. I barely ever changed the water. He got so big that he couldnt even turn around in the tank very well. The water would evaporate half empty before I would add more water. Im suprised he survived. Then, I decided to get him a 10 gallon tank since he lived that long. He lived in that thing until he got too big for that tank. I had this goldie for four years before he died of ick (black moors introduced it into my 55 G when I first got it, and killed all of my fish). He was such a wonderful fish.

Well, thats my first expercience with goldfish... at least on my own. My sisters had me had them when I was little, but I dont remember much about them.

We had around 6 commons in a 10 gallon. They lasted quite a while. I was a kid though and a long time could be a month when you are young.... I remember one had black on his lip. We named him hitler. I had to be like 10.

As an adult we bought 3 commons and put them in a 1 gallon. One died before the tank was set up. :( The other 2 made it a week. I found koko's in that week. I still feel horrible. Then I got my black moor Spring and you guys talked me into a 10 gallon tank. Thanks for that, btw. I wish I would have gone nuts and gotten a 30 or a 55 though. :D

My very first experience with goldies was a terrible one. My sister bought 6 commons as food for her chinese water dragon, but then didn't want to feed them to it, so she asked Hey Sydney, want some goldfish, and I couldn't refuse them, though I'm not sure which was the worse fate for them at that point :crp

They ended up in a 2-gallon Eclipse Explorer, and I did perform water changes every other day so I could at least SEE them... but cycling and 10-gallon-per-fish didn't happen. They were gone in a few weeks. :(

I didn't want anything to do with fish after that, and that had to be about 7-8 years ago. My parents also refused to let me try to keep fish again at home..

It wasn't until I got my new job that I wanted to have goldies again, and this time I wanted to do some research beforehand.. though I went based on advice from my LFS to start with this time, and that didn't go well, 4 fancies in an 18-gallon tank, three ended up passing away (as seen in my sig.)... but with all I've learned from you guys, that kind of thing will NEVER happen again. I am down to one baby in an 18-gallon tank now, the survivor, and he is THRIVING!! :) wee!

...and of course, I have my new little pirate baby in a 4-gallon bucket with an airstone.. I just got him last night, and when I went to fill his 10-gal quarantine tank this morning, behold! a LEAK. thanks, vvvv. So he's in a bucket with some medigold and bubbles to play in, I'll just have to perform water changes & siphon constantly till I get this tank replaced.. grr.

ANYWAYS - as I was saying :rolleyes: I know MUCH better now in regards to keeping goldies, and I owe it to you guys!!! :rockon

My 1st goldfish was won at a school fair when I was 5 or 6. We kept him in a plastic 10 gallon tank with some weed till he corked it when I was 12.

He was a big fish and I have many fond memories (of me catching him with me hands!!) :D

I've been hooked ever since.

We kept him in a plastic 10 gallon tank with some weed till he corked it when I was 12.

322845[/snapback]

with some weed?? er... I mean, was the fish always tired & hungry & lazy, or was this the 'pull weeds from the garden' type? :P:peeka;)

(teehee)

thankfully i kept my first ever fish (pearlscale named George, whom i still have) ina a12gal. at first he was with a load of tropicals, but i managed to kill off most of those coz i didnt think to get a heater, so he got it to himself. then i got some others to go with hm, and then i upgraded to my larger tank.

Guest jelle819

You'll shoot me for this but I kept 2 goldies in a 10 gallon for YEARS and never had any problems...that's why I don't buy into this whole 10 gallon per fish thing....however....I'm looking forward to moving and at that time getting a bigger tank. :yeah:

You'll shoot me for this but I kept 2 goldies in a 10 gallon for YEARS and never had any problems...that's why I don't buy into this whole 10 gallon per fish thing....however....I'm looking forward to moving and at that time getting a bigger tank. :yeah:

322878[/snapback]

but how big were your goldies, and how long did they live? because if they were under 10 inches, they didnt fill out their full potential....

my goldie Fred was almost 16 inches and lived for 12 years, untill the bottom of the tank broke out :*(

I had like 10 goldfish and 10 guppies in a ten gallon aquarium was 5 and never did a water change or had a filter or even fed them i think and every day i came down stairs asking can i fush a fish

Archived