Fish Eating One Other Fishes Fins/tail Etc...

Guest Wagertracker

Guest Wagertracker

You'll have to excuse me, I am fish illiterate!

I have 6 gold fish in a tank. Have had them now for 3 years. "ALL" of them....

One of the regular gold fish, white....is HUGE! He just keeps growing and growing. The others are staying basically the same size.

I just noticed the one small white fish with a BIG orange puffy thing on it's head....it was floating on it's side and thought what's going on? When I took a closer look, the poor things fins had been eaten. Her front 2 and her tail fin looks SHREDDED! There is also a small streak of blood in the tail fin. I watched what was happening and it was this HUGE large white goldfish that keeps going up to it and pulling at the fins. I've removed the big fish from the tank. But I lost what to do next? I don't want to kill either of them, but I won't allow this to continue.

Will the fish that had her front fins almost completely removed and tail shredded survive? She's always been a floater. Always floats and stays on top. She always had one smaller front fin and had problems swimming from time to time, but she's always survived. But the blood concerns me.

Thank you in advance,

Midge

Hi there Midge and a big :welcome

Just to clear the easy stuff first - is there any way you can post your water parameters? Ammonia/nitrites and nitrates.... i think in your case as your tank would, i'd imagine, be fully cycled, it'd help to know your nitrate level.

How big is your tank?

Now for your poor guy's fins - as a suggestion, the first course of action i'd take would be to give him a salt bath at .6% (1.5tsp per 1/4 gallon) for 30 minutes and then, if you feel comfortable handling him, swab the affected area using a cotton tip with iodine. The salt would help stave off any bacterial infection while the iodine will manage the localised area.

Also a possible reason why your other guys may not be growing too fast could be due to the size of your tank but again, will wait for you to post its size :)

Just on the floating, do you soak the food first? This often helps but can go into more detailed suggestions when you post back.

I hope this helps and please post back soon :D

Also keep your big fish isolated then. Sometimes goldfish can be aggressive, looks as if you picked a fish out with more of an aggressive nature.

I would also suggest a pea diet temporily. I believe the reccommended feeding peas is 3 days on this site. If your desperate and don't want to get the frozen peas small enough, baby food worked for me. Just make sure to look at the ingredients if your going to do baby food, as some them can have another food mixed with it. Make sure the ingredients are just peas and water.

Archived