Major Brown Algae

I've had my 33 mgallon set up for about a month. I have a major brown algae infestation. I have the lights on all day. I would also like to know if a apple snail would be ok to have in the tank? How do I get rid of this algae? Help would be much appreciated :)

• Admin

First off we need to see what your Nitrate levels are, if they are above the 40ppm mark there is part of the problem. then I would also check to see if the water you use to do a water change with has nitrates too :)

then after looking at that I see that you have the lights on all day, tanks should only have there lights on for 10 hours at the most, then you need to look if the tank is getting natural sun light if so then this will cause a problem too.

Also another thing to is how stocked is the tank, if the tank has to many fish in there that is another problem.

then after all that is solved then you can look into options, live plants, plecos or snails....Now snails don't eat brown algae they like green stuff. As for live plants you could have some Anubis they will help to use that nitrates in the tank. Also Rubber Nose plecos love brown and green algae and you could use them to help combat the problem.

I'll have to get a test kit for water then. Snails will not eat brown algae at all? There's three fish in total in the tank. I stuck with the rule ;) Do fish care if their in the dark? Do they prefer light?

As far as I know the tank doesn't get to much sunlight. How much would a full water test kit cost in CDN dollars?

My suggestion is don't turn on the lights all day. 8hrs a day would already be good. And if you want to get rid of the brown stuff quickly, get a squigy. I'm not sure what's it's really called, it's one of those rubber glass cleaners that is sometimes used to clean the windows on your car...just make sure it's new and clean. I use one of those and clean the glass on my tanks. Works wonders.

• Admin

I dont know how much it would cost in CND but you should have a test kit that contains ammonia, nitrites and nitrates......Your nitrates should be down to 40 ppms.....

As for a general cure you could get a bristlenose or rubber nose pleco.....Not a Common pleco those are no nos

Fish being in the dark all the time isnt good they need the light for many reasons :D

Archived