Oto's, And Plecos Possibly Not Compatable?

Guest Croc_123

Guest Croc_123

I was reading on a webpage last night that pecos, and oto's are not compatablre with gfold fish because at night they will suck the slime coat on the goldfish while the goldfish are sleeping. is this ture? it also states the only fish to keep with fancy goldfish are dojo loahes, and mountain minnows.

Otos can be kept with goldfish safely; it is common plecos which suck the slime coats as they get older and change from herbivorous to omnivorous.

Dojo's are also absolutely fine with goldies and so are minnows.. as long as the goldfish are not already big enough to eat the minnows - they certainly will do if they can catch them! :)

:) I agree with what Emme says,

It all depends on the type of pleco, common plecos are a big no no.

Rubberlip plecos are alright, and so are bristle nose plecos.

I've heard a few bad storys with otos getting stuck in the mouths of

the goldies, but i don't think its much to worry about,

Alex

if the otto is starved, i have seen them suck on slime coats. but i would to if i had nothing else to eat! and most of them wont go for algea tabs.. gatta make them par-boiled zuchini.

• 2 weeks later...

I just purchased 2 otos. One was very aggressive even after being well fed for several days. I returned him and the other is very calm. The aggressive one latched on to my goldie twice. If I were you, I would still get an oto but watch closely for a few days. My tank is MUCH cleaner in just a week so they certainly are nice to have around when they aren't aggressive.

Archived