Im New - Help!

Guest milylester

Guest milylester

:) Hello! I have three fantails that have spent the past three years in a bowl (i now know this is really bad, but it did have a filter).

4 weeks ago I moved them into a nice big Juwel tank. For a start I dont know how big it is (its dimensions are approx 24"x12"x12", perhaps someone could help me out!)

I decided my goldfish keeping skills needed to be a bit more professional, so thats why i found this site.

Ive been cycling the tank, and regularly make water changes (with dechlorinated water of course) All seems to be going well - when ive taken my water to be tested at the local shop, they said everything is fine.

As if the move wasnt stressful enough, they've decided to mate, and my one female has laid eggs 3 times, so i have 6 healthy fry in a breeding net in the corner, who are thriving on Hikari first bites.

My fish seem fine, but 2 of them appear to have something wrong with their fins - the tail fin (caudal i think its called). They look bent and curled in some places. What is this, and why is it happening?!

Please let me know, i'll do anything for my fish - i love them to bits

Any other handy hints for a beginner like me would also be greatly appreciated!

Emily

I'll let someone with more experience answer your questions

WOW, that's great that you have fry. I've had my fish for quite some time and none have ever spawned. Good luck with the babies. :goodluck

• Admin

you have a 15 gal tank in US gals.

If the fish with the bent tail fins are the fry your talking about, that is normal. Fry will have defects in them especially in the parents first try at breeding, this is what we call Culling. These fish normally get taken out of the batch of fish and its just a normal defect in the fish.

Guest milylester

Thanks, that actually explains another problem I had! :) But the bent fin problem I was talking about relates to my adult fish. The fins (on the adult fish) seem to be slowly getting better. Any ideas?

Sorry that I wasn't very clear!!

Thanks for replying!

Emily

Guest jmp6161987

i have had some bent fins on adult fish before but one of them has it permanently bent. It doesn't seem to affect him at all so I think that whatever the problem it is probly just stress related and will go away or if it doesn't, as long as there are no other signs of stress it should be fine. If somebody has more knowledge definately share though because those are only my observations.

• Admin

Most of the time if a fish is just bent fins from the time you got him it is either, Genetics or the fish had gotten him/her self stuck and the fin broke at one time.....You have to remember goldfish fins are made out of cartilage. this is were you see the stuffiness of the fins if they get broken you will see a small white spot were it broke at then it will heal. Some times it heals back to normal and other times its bent, there isn't anything you can do to fix it.

in mating this will happen allot cause of the aggressiveness of the mating allot of the times the female will get the blunt of this so don't be surprised if you see some scales missing or bent fins after a mate.

Guest milylester

Thank you sooo much! I kinda suspected that it could be something like that, but i really wasn't sure. Youv'e put my mind at rest!

It all makes sense now....

Archived