Getting Started

Guest OrangeFantail

Guest OrangeFantail

:goldfish: Hello Everyone,

I have been reading all of the interesting discussions and I really don't feel as alone with my fish tank problems. I try to talk to the local pet stores and get absolutely no where. It is so frustrating.

I have a 26 gal. tank with (2) goldfish. I believe they are a Ryunkin and a FanTail. The tank is approx. 6 months old and the fish are approx. 1 1/2 yrs old. Just happen to be a male and female. Who continuesly have fry. We tried keeping some of the fry but were unsuccessful. They got caught in the net nursery and died. :crp. Any new fry since just have to make it on their own.

Problem is the tank has a constant white fog/cloud and no matter what I try nothing clears the tank. I haven't seen my fish clearly since Easter.

I was thinking the male was making the water cloudy. Always seeing new eggs.

I don't want to sound bad, but I don't care right now about raising the fry. I just want to get a clear tank and understand what the white rolling fog is.

Yes, my water tests are normal per the testing kit. Pet stores say, Oh you must be fine since the fish are breeding.

Any ideas? Thanks, Orange Fantail

Hi and welcome to the site.

Can you post the test results? The numbers help us better to put the pieces of the "puzzle" all together.

A couple things to think of are, could it be algae developing on the glass inside the tank?

Could be a bacteria bloom? Your results will tell us that.

Do you run carbon in the filter?

Post back soon, and don't worry if you are not set up for fry you can let them eat the eggs or vacuum the bottom.

I know how frustrating it is when you want a clean tank.

Males release 'milt'. A whitish milky-colored water usually indicates a bacteria bloom. It is probably not a pathogenic bacteria. A bacteria bloom is often harmless, but unsightly nonetheless.

Archived