Tell Me I Shouldn't...

WHY do I walk into these stores?!

I wasn't even going to GO to mmm, I was supposed to go to Bed Bath & Beyond for something completely un-fish-related.

But of course I walked in, and browsed their goldies, and happened upon a tank of 3-3.5" ryukins and orandas. One especially cute little black oranda caught my eye, and as I was watching him, I realized he didn't have one of them. An eye, I mean. It looks like he was born without his right eye.

Of course, I want to take him home. He would probably have to stay in his own tank, unless I could make very very sure that his tankmates wouldn't beat up on him (his only tankmate in the future would by my ryukin Paddles, who is a bit smaller than him, and Paddles is a spazz but has never been aggressive). And he would need some serious quarantine, not just because of normal protocol, but because it's apparent that he has anchor worm. Two little strings with heads (tiny) hanging off the side of him. I only noticed two worms, but I've learned that only 'seeing' two means nothing :krazy: He is still acting fine, aside from the fact that he swims very cautiously toward his blind side.

Would I be getting in WAY over my head by buying him to put in his own 10 gallon tank for quarantine & treating him for parasites? I have new MediGold on hand, too, and I could plop my Penguin 100 filter (cycled) onto his tank from my 18 gallon, which already has a Penguin 200 too, so that tank would be fine..

someone tell me I'm nuts to want to buy another baby already... Granted, I would NOT put this fish in with Paddles, not at least for a month or two, and not unless he has been completely WELL for weeks, since Paddles is in good health FINALLY.. and they wouldn't share a tank unless it was at least a 25 gallon or so.

jiowajieoajewaieowaj...

ugh, cute fish.

Well that is up to you. Obviously you know if you get this fish it is a up hill battle and one in which he may not make it. Tough call, I know most of us want to save them, even I do this on occasion, just be prepared for a long hard battle.

Let us know what you do.

Like Laurie said - it's your call. At least you know what would be involved to rescue the fish and if you are prepared to do it - why not. Of course, sadly you need to be prepared in case it doesn't pull through.

I did the exact same thing myself very recently (below, if you're interested in how this panned out), so I can't really tell you not to! :lol:

I agree with the others. If you want to give it a try and think you can do it then give it a go, but be prepared for the little guy not to make it. Also be prepared for other ailments coming up during the first few weeks which haven't shown themselves yet. Anchor worm is obvious, but you can bet your bottom dollar there will be some unseen nasties like ich or flukes lurking around too! The missing eye should not be a problem though, and it will make him unique and special. :)

Recently in the pet store, I spotted a baby chocolate ranchu with what looked like abrasions all down one side, absolutely covered in fungus, sitting unhappily on his own in one of the tanks. When I asked for him, the pet store were like 'you want THIS fish? Why?!' They know I can look after sick fish though (otherwise I would not have been allowed to take him) so in the end they gave him to me for free, seeing as I was willing to work on him, which saved them a job. I figured what the heck: even if I can't manage to save him, at least he will have a decent last few days in a clean quiet tank, rather than the pet store's cramped conditions.

He spent a month in the hospital tank in total. For the first few days he was weak, miserable, frightened and would barely eat or move. He just sat in the corner next to his mirror. I started treating him with Jungle Fungus Cure, which sorted out the fungus... and revealed that the sores underneath weren't abrasions but actually deep ulcers. They had gone right into his muscle layer already. I was about to switch to Maracyn to treat those when bless me, he came down with a case of raging ich as well. So I changed tactics and swabbed his ulcers out well with Savlon liquid (the UK equivalent of iodine or neosporin) and salted his tank to .3% instead. This combination worked well; within 5 days the ich was gone and the ulcers were visibly healing. At that point, he turned into a totally different fish: he explored everywhere in his tank, he ate like a piranha, he came up and wiggled through the glass at me, he picked at all his plants, sifted happily through his gravel and generally whizzed around like the happy confident fish he clearly was all along. I finally treated him with Prazi for a week, figuring he was very likely to have been exposed to flukes, and then that was the end of his quarantine. He still has missing scales where the ulcers were, but the skin there is smooth and healthy.

He finally got moved to the big tank yesterday and after some initial nervousness -all the other GF are about 6 times his size! - he has settled in well and is eating and rummaging about busily. He will be a beautiful little ranchu when he grows up (he's only an inch and a half long at the moment). :)

I really appreciate the advice!! Thanks, guys! :hug

I've thought about it a lot, and I understand that it's gonna be another tough road, and I may very well lose another fish if I decide to get him; however, I also feel that I may be able to give him a fighting chance against those parasites, and give him a loving home for as long as he's with me. :heart I guess I'm a glutton for punishment ;)

I'll keep you guys posted..

:krazy::rolleyes:

Good luck EatBubbles (is your name Sydney?) and thanks for sharing that story with us Emma. I seriously believe that only a handful of people would have been able to save that chocolate ranchu - ain't he lucky you are one of them!

Guest jmp6161987

I've set up new tanks for specific fish who have stolen my heart. If you have the space, time, and money, go for it if you want it. It's a great feeling, now and later. If you think you might lack any of those three things then wait for another tank, especially for a fish who needs extra work. It is easy to become overwhelmed with the work involved as I'm sure you know.

I think all of us have been there. Since I started working at a pet store it has gotten much worse. I look around and wonder, how did I end up with all these fish!? LOL

I think if you are able to take care of him and want him that much, you should get him. Otherwise you'll just be thinkig about him a lot and wondering what is going on with him. Ive had that same probelm before and always finally decide? which will I regret more, getting him or not getting him? I have NEVER regretted getting one, even if they dont make it in the end. I consider it an honor to be able to give them a good safe home in their last days.

Good luck. :)

Guest Esareh

YES! good luck! A few weeks ago, i lost Crookie, my blue ranchu, and Specks, my calico fantail because the biggest one was attacking them. Flash was attacked the worst but i managed to save him and he's back to his old self. He even has, like 4 or more large white dots on his wen! He's growing! YAY! :D I was soo proud. Quake, the attacker died like, 2 days after crookie and specks. 3 fish in 3 days? :( but im so glad flash is ok. My lil survivor.

Well, here he (she?) is.. :):heart

I had the airstone bubbling in there, but the pump noise seems to resonate and get a TON louder in the bowl, so I turned it off.. I figure it's possible to really hurt the little one's hearing by letting sounds resonate like that? He has his own 10-gallon hospital tank, which will be set up tomorrow morning using the cycled Penguin 100 filter from my larger tank. MediGold starts tomorrow too. YUM! :exactly

DSC01894.jpg

DSC01896.jpg

DSC01890.jpg

:newfish:fishtank:

EDIT: Having looked up anchor worms again, I was mistaken in saying that I had seen anchor worms. However, he does have microscopic stringies waving off of him on his head & side. I think the Medigold should take care of it?...

Hi, what a cutie he is, he doesn't look too bad either. Those little strings could be sapoglena (sp?) which is common water mould, other members may have other diagnosis. I do know that sapoglena gets into the gills and causes irritation so you may see him scratching and flashing from time to time. In fact scratching on gravel and rocks due to irritation may be how he lost his eye.

Man he is a cute fish. I can see why your heart strings were pulled. Good luck with him, I hope it turns out ok for you and him.

Hi, since no one else has another diagnoses as yet may I offer you a bit of advice on treating the saproglenia?

Recommended treatments are form-green, malchite green or acriflavine. These are common ingredients in many medications such as "Quick Cure" and should be easy to find. Methyene (sp?) Blue is also a treatment but not as easy to locate.

The good news is that these medications will treat a lot of other conditions as well, so it's a bit like covering all bases.

It's great to have the medigold on hand but I wouldn't use it unless your fish actually shows signs of an interal infection. Overuse of antibiotics will lead to bacteria developing resistence to treatment.

Another tip - salt. This is a controversal subject with fishkeepers, there are some who salt and some who do not (unless to treat illnes). I read in a Dr's uni paper on the web that even low levels of salt will prevent the growth of saproglenia and other moulds & fungus in a tank. Of course, salt is not a magic ingredient, I assume this statement was made in the context of practising proper tank and water maintenance.

The accepted level of maintenance salt doses to be used continuously is 0.01%, this is one teaspoon per gallon/4 litres. Use Aquarium (sodium) salt, sea/rock salt, kosha salt. Do not use table salt or any product that has added ingredients such as at anti-caking agents.

Hope this info helps. :)

Congrats on your new fish!! I myself have bought a couple of one eyed goldfish.

One was a calico oranda which I managed to get for 1/2 price, sadly, he died about 6 mos. later due to dropsy... :(

The other is a very VERY small calico fantail, who wasn't really missing his eye, more of it was under-developed...where his eye should be is a silver spot. I got him for $1 at nooppee...He's the only fish thats ever survived that I bought from there!

Lil' Spooky is still doing well, I have him in with my smaller black moores and a pearlescale. He has no problem finding food. He's gotten maybe a 1/4 of an inch bigger since I bought him in late August. I think he was severly stunted, when I got him, he was maybe an inch and a half.

Your fishy looks good, and will have a much better life with you than in a petstore. Best of luck, :heart

Sarah

Thanks for the advice!! :)

I think I may put a .1% concentration of salt in the tank, since I do have aquarium salt on hand, this might help heal up his fins - they're a tiny bit frayed - and I will hold off on the Medigold for now. Progold yum!

I think I will also hold off on any other kind of treatment, to see if the salt helps first - I'm not a fan of using Malachite Green, although it does work.. if I see any more suspicious stringies on the fish, then I'll use it.

Of course, right now baby is in a 5-gallon bucket with a cycled filter and airstone, I'm changing water constantly (thanks vvvv for selling me a leaky 10-gallon aquarium--), though by Weds. he will have his own full quarantine setup.

I think I will name him Mowgli. :heart

Strong little swimmer, too. I think his favorite stroke is the butterfly. :rolleyes:

:bubbles

Bad luck about the tank,  I bet you were mad.  :angry:

323191[/snapback]

Actually, that was the one time I used shop towels as a cushion underneath the tank, to protect the furniture that it was on top of. I had only filled the tank a few inches when I noticed that the blue shop towels were getting dark :krazy::) So no harm was done. However, vvvv still doesn't make my Good list. ;) bwa ha.

Archived