Floating

Guest MindyLuz05

Guest MindyLuz05

When my goldfish, Bloopy, is not swimming or moving, she usually will float at the top. She pretty much has always floated, so I want to make sure this is normal, or if she is supposed to be balanced and neither sink nor float when she doesn't move. I get the feeling that it makes her uncomfortable to float sometimes when she wants to rest. Any help would be appreciated. I also want to feed her a pea maybe once a week. What kind of pea are you supposed to feed a goldfish? Thanks!

- Mindy

Hi Mindy, I am going to move your thread to the diag/ section. You will get better viewing there.

At the top will be a box of questions if you can answer them it will help us better.

I would venture to guess though that your fish suffers from a mild case of SBD - swim bladder disease.

Making sure your nitrates are not over 40, around 20 is good. Also fasting the fish once a week and follow that day with frozen peas that have been thawed and deshelled will help to deter this.

Feeding soaked sinking foods also help with controling SBD.

Post back soon and hopefully we can help you and her/him.

Guest MindyLuz05

I am a little concerned because I've never been able to get my nitrate below 40 and right now it appears to be between 40 and 80, although I just did a 1/3 water change yesterday.

Nitrite is 0.

pH is 7.8

Ammonia is below .0075

I also use easy balance which is supposed to keep nitrate levels low. So what should I do? And what about my floating goldfish?

Oh yeah and I feed her flake food. I'm getting the impression that it is not so good to feed flakes.

- Mindy

Mindy flake food can be ok, but you should soak it and make sure it sinks to the bottom so as the fish eats he/she doesn't eat off the surface of the water. They take in air that way and that can lead to "floaty" problems.

Now for the high nitrates. No product can control nitrates. Water changes are the best way to do this. Even though you did a 1/3 you could do more.....like a 50% water change then check the levels and see what they are.

My tank always has to get a 50-60% weekly water change to keep them under control. Having high nitrates can be caused by a couple different things, such as overstocking, over feeding or nitrates in the tap water when you do a water change. Test the tap and see.

High nitrates can irratate and induce a episode for a fish that is prone to SBD, so getting them around 20 and staying there is a benefit to the fish.

High nitrates while not as deadly as ammonia or nitrites can have ill effects on a fish if they continue.

So doing weekly water changes that consist of changing enough water to lower them to a tolerable range is the way to go.

A side note, live plants can help to reduce nitrates. This can help alittle but not enough to solely rely on them to do it for you.

Good luck, if you have any questions just let us know.

Guest MindyLuz05

Crap. There are nitrates in my water. The tap water that I use from upstairs tested at a little more than 20 and the tap water from downstairs tested at 20. No wonder changing the water doesn't ever do much good. So what do I do? Do I have to buy water?

- Mindy

No Mindy - 20 is an acceptable level. If you do a 50% water change each week(including vaccuming your gravel) and have a good filter you can keep them at about 20. As a rule of thumb, they should never really get over 40 :)

I too have a nitrate reading of 20 out of my tap and it's not a problem as i'm fairly diligent about weekly changes.

Hope this helps :D

Archived