Liquid Calcium

fishrpets

I asked today at vvvv and they only calcium they had was for saltwater tanks. Where can I get it? My snails are in with my goldies and some in with my bettas so it needs to be ok for the fish too.? :thanks

321896[/snapback]

That's exactly what it is.I use Kent's Liquid Calcium. When you buy it,you need to find a little bottle that you can squeeze drops out of.You only need one or two drops daily per every 5 gals. of your tank.I've been doing it for months,and my fish act no differently because of it.I also use Kent's Iodine.That helps make the shells stronger too,from what I've been told. :D And with that ,you use one drop for every 5 gals. -three times a week. You can sometimes find those little squeeze bottles in the Dollar Store or anywhere that sells beauty supplies(you ever dye your hair? it's a bottle like that) :yeah: I've even seen them a nnnnnn/Kmart type places. I actually bought a liitle Kit from Terri,atRainbow Snails for 4.50 because I wanted to make sure that I felt safe using it with my fish before I bought the big bottles. Now I have these cute little bottles that measure perfectly & I can just refill them If you decide to order a set from her, tell her Devs fromApple Snail forum said hi! And hey,try the snail snacks they're great!

Thanks Devs, it was the Kents but being in the saltwater section, I wasn't sure about it. And oh yeahhhh I dye my hair! I found my 1st white hair when I was 20 and I wasn't ready for that! :rofl I am a cosmetologist too (or was anyway. Not working now, but I keep my license.) :stop:BTT Thanks for the info and website!

Sharon, I also meant to ask this for my son. I showed him the pics of your snails and his eyes got huge because of how big your snails are. 1st- he wanted to know will ours get that big. I said I guess they could. 2nd- he wants to know how you get them out of their shells for the pics to see them. He was holding one in his hand today hoping it would come out and it didn't. So....how do you get them out?

(I don't mean out exactly, just opened up :blink: You know what I mean :lol: )

:rolleyes: I show them double Cheeseburger's! :o:rofl No,seriously,Brigs will get the size of Walnuts. It's The Cana's that get pretty big.I really don't do anything special to get them out of their shell,except for handling them on occasion.Brigs are more chicken than the Cana's-sometimes they take a while to trust.Then I've had Brigs,that just came out. Brig DSCF2174.jpg

Like with other animals, snails have to trust you and be used to being picked up. All my adults are fine with being picked up now, and they won't close up after they've been picked up anymore. I'm working with the babies now, because as soon as I touch them they freak out. So just pick them up often and carefully and make it a positive experience. That kind of sounded like dog-training advice, but the same basic rules apply to all animals.

Yup! ive been playing around with mine, and 3 of the 7 will happily come on out of their shells as soon as I pick them up! Just like a dog!

I swear, we used to have to ducktape the fridge shut cuz of the dog, now where gonna have to ducktape the veggie keepere shut for the snails! they slime further and further outta the water every day when their veggie clips are empty!

I told him what yall said and he jumped right at it. We put some water in a dish and some veggies and put them in there to eat. But then of course he obsessed about how that might not be enough water for them and he didn't want his snail to die.... :huh: So I assured him that I wouldn't let them be out that long and he checked on them a few times. I finally let him put them back in just to get his stress level down. Phew! :lol:

Snails can go for a few hours outta water...they are capable of breathing air also...hence the long tubie-syphon they stick up outta the water....

off topic, but funny story...my first cana, speedy, would cruise around with her syphon alllllll the way out, adn my mom and I, knowoing nothing about snails at the time, looked at her in amazement thinking it was her 'manhood' :rofl2:tomuch::rofl2

:tomuch: That is too funny!

I'm sure ya'll were impressed! I would be! :lol:

I tried assuring him that they would be fine, but after a few minutes I figured he would just have to go about it s l o w l y. I had a little water in the dish, but he was afraid it wouldn't be enough. Probably if I tell him you said it, he'll be okay with it....you know, I'm just his Mom :krazy::krazy::D

Thanks!

Snails can go for a few hours outta water...they are capable of breathing air also...hence the long tubie-syphon they stick up outta the water....

off topic, but funny story...my first cana, speedy, would cruise around with her syphon alllllll the way out, adn my mom and I, knowoing nothing about snails at the time, looked at her in amazement thinking it was her 'manhood'  :rofl2   :tomuch:   :rofl2

323054[/snapback]

Smack,you are too much! You made me laugh out loud!!!! :rofl

Archived