Goldfish

Guest MoonFlowers

Guest MoonFlowers

^_^ Hi I was just wondering, how do you tell the sex of your fish? I know the females are meant to be wider in body, and males are more stremelined but I still can't really tell the difference. Also, does how you tell the sexes apart change or vary depending on the type of fish you have?

I have sarassa comet fish. Any help or info would be very much appreciated

Males - When they mature they get breeding stars on the gill plate and first fin rays of the pectoral fins(front 2 fins)... The spots are white in colour and looks abit like ick

Females - They have little tiny white thing sticks out their anus or when they mature they get a big round belly and usually have skinny first fin rays compared to males.

Guest PenelopeFish

I've tried and tried to sex my fish, but its a frustrating endeavor. They say there are a lot of signs to look for, but until my fish get older, or start laying eggs, I'll never know!

PenelopeFish :heart

Guest VxShady

Unless you REALLY know what to look for, I think you can only tell during breeding. Some people can tell just by glancing at the things. I'd have to pick my fish up one by one and look at their :booty with a microscope and still have no clue. And if my males did get their breedings stars.. I'd probably freak out and think they had ich and douse everyone in prazi. And if my femmes ever lay some eggs.. I'd be on here in the emergency 911 section thinking god knows what.

So yeah. Look for the little white thing that sticks out. I'd probably think it was a parasite. <stares>

Guest fishier

i tried to genderize my fish and i failed, miserably

when i spotted the little pop out anus thing-

i declared it was a girl,

then the next day-- it was gone

do they like pop out and in?

or do i just have eye problems. :huh:

Guest VxShady
i tried to genderize my fish and i failed, miserably

when i spotted the little pop out anus thing-

i declared it was a girl,

then the next day-- it was gone