Snail Through The Intake Tube...

Desiree

well, i got my new aqua master 600 filter last night and i hooked it up on my tank and all was fine and well until this morning when i came out and saw my big gold apple snail had ended up on the intake tube and got sucked through it. :cry1 I figured he was all ready dead but when we took the tube out to remove him he kinda seemed to move a little. i dont know if maybe it was just the natural position of the snail to revert into his shell and close the little door but he seemed still alive despite the horrible shredding he got due to the filter. so i put him back in the tank for now. to see if he is ok. but here is my dilemma. what should i do now? should i euthanize him or should i just let him heal? thats all granted that he is alive. which i am not 100% sure of. thanks!

i would go with what raith said. dont poke him around too much. just see if he perks up or not. you will soon be able to tell wether he's dead or not, because they start to smell pretty quickly.

Hope your little chap is ok. :heart

Keep him in his own little tank(kritter keeper) with pristine water for a few days till he starts commin out of his shell again. Snails are amazing with how well and quickly they can regenerate! good luck iwth your lil guy!

so you guys think there is a chance he is still alive? he doesnt smell bad. but he was pretty mangled by the intake tube. we literally had to yank him out of it. but we'll see. i just put him in my new tank i just set up so yes, the water is pristine as you said. i will keep you updated and thank you for your concern! :)

I'd give him a chance to see if he'll heal. Keep him by himself though.

And, in the future, snails do best when there's a sponge around the filter intake tube. I lost a snail that way and I had the same snail get stuck twice, so I bought a sponge and now it works great. :)

My old brig got really mangled by my new filters, but in about a week, he was his old self again!

As far as sponges over the filters, I personally dont like to do that cuz they get so raunchy so fast, so I bought a heater guard at the petstore(plastic-mesh-tubie-thing) and suction-cupped it to the side over the intake....worked perfectly! Lets big junk into the filter but keeps snails off of it!

thank you all so very much. i am considering getting a heater cover for the intake tube as suggested and maybe then i can get another snail. a pet store in the area has apple snails that are literally about the size of a real apple so maybe they would be strong enough to not get sucked in... thanks again!

its not so much how strong they are, the intake just sucks in the edges of their feet and rips em off....all of my snails from the biggest to the littlest, have had a run in with the new filter before i realised what the problem was!

Archived