Snails Found In Tank?

Fish_Fanatic

Okay, I woke up this morning and found two tiny little snails, less than 1cm in diameter each. They are in my betta's bowl, and probably came with the plant. I can't tell what kind they are because they are too small. Are they okay for my betta? Should I remove them? AHHHH! :blink:

Usually the snails that come on plants are pest snails that will eventually reproduce and overrun your tank. If I were you I would remove them promptly, but I'd keep them in their own small tank/bowl or something just to watch them. But then again, I'm a snail fanatic.

Most likely they won't hurt your Betta - instead, it will be the other way around, with your Betta hurting them. Most Bettas don't like snails and will pick at them or eat them if they are small enough. Some Bettas are nice with snails, but either way I'd take the little guys out.

:) Pest Snails are cute too! Unfortunately,two little tiny ones will turn into a massive amount in a very short time. I feel very bad,but I get rid of them. I have learned the hard way,believe me. Once you get them like that,it's almost impossible to get rid of them unless you completely strip the tank down & clean everything. :crp I have a snails with a few betta's. Some of my Betta's are not trusted at all.There's just something a little too tempting about an antenna wiggling in front of their face.I have also seen alot of Betta's do my Ramshorn's in.They physically attack it. Just their instinct to I guess.

baby sit? like how? lol.

Well before I put in the snail, I tried one of the little bitty algae eaters (name?) and Donkey (betta) attacked it constantly. So I figured since that didn't work out I would try the snail hoping since it moves slower that it would be ok. And it has worked fine. Now alot of the time when the snail is just hanging out on the side of the tank, Donkey just hangs out over or under it instead of his usual spot. That's when I say Donkey is babysitting his snail again! :rofl

Well, i left them in a couple more days, and they have been fine. My betta leaves them alone. My plant recently was destroyed, and there was bits of it floating at the top of his bowl. The plant bits are gone...and the snails were stuck to them. I guess they ate them. But the other bits of the plant that was still in the little pot are untouched. Hmmm...? They are cute! I don't really want to take them out...what should i do? <_<

:rolleyes: There's really not too many options that I can think of. 1) You take them out & get rid of them, 2) grin & bear it when they eat your plants,or don't buy live plants.

my old betta loved his lil red ramshorns! he never ttried to eat them when they overran his tank! hed swim around adn look at them, touch them, then swim away....

as for the goldies, though...they munch on them....

A little speck of a snail came into my tank on the back of a big (well, relatively) snail I bought... my betta used to spit bubbles at him. I think he may have been trying to build the snail a nest. Then again, he was always more than a little on the crazy side...

• 1 month later...

The snails have grown, and nothing bad has happened. So I'm alright with them. But what will I do over the summer? I'm bringing my betta up in a jar instead of his regular bowl. Can I bring the snails? Is there anything special that I should feed them? Thanks! :)

Archived