To Divide Or Not To Divide?

Guest mariap

Guest mariap

Hello!

I wish I would have found Koko's before I got my tank and my second goldie. Here's the problem, I have a common about 6 inches long from tip to tail and a ranchu about 4 inches long. Well the ranchu is much slower than the common whom I had first and the people at the pet store didnt seem to think the combo would be a problem. But now when I feed them, the common is very aggressive pushing the ranchu around and last night tore one of its anal fins. I cant afford or have the room for a second tank right now, so do I divide the tank? Do I keep it divided or just when feeding?

Has anyone else had this problem? Thanks for any input.

Maria :krazy:

Maria I feel for you. That is a tough situation. Like you said a divider could work, how big is your tank? This may be an issue with dividing.

Next, maybe giving the common away or back to the store??? That is an option.

I suppose you could try to only seperate them at feeding, see if it works if not then you know it has to be permanent or one fish has to go.

Good luck keep us posted.

I dont know much about commons, but my guys know which fish eat from which side of hte tank....my fantails all eat on teh left, and my moor separates from the bunch and i give him his own little bit of flakes onthe right...maybe try this?

feed the common, get him busy, then put somemore in on th eother side for the ranchu?

Guest mariap

Thanks for the feedback. I have a 20 gallon tank. The common is my son's fish that he won at the fair, it will be 3 years in July, and the ranchu is my other son's fish he picked out last summer. So I hate to remove either fish, but looking for someone with a pond or big tank in the future for the common because I think he is going to get large!

I try to put pieces of food on both sides of the tank but after about a minute the common sees the ranchu eating and starts pushing the poor little guy all over the tank. So hopefully monday I will go to the lfs and get a divider.

Thanks so much! Maria :heart

Archived