Black Patchs On Gill Membranes

PodgyGoldy

I went to my lfs today and saw a new batch of young fantails and some calicos, and i noticed some calicos have black spot or patchs on his gill memebranes(Im 100% sure it's not colouration on the gill plate)...

What causes it?

Podgy, could it be ammonia burns???

Since this isn't your fish with a problem I am going to move your thread to the plain discussion area. Don't want people to think it is yours.

If it's only on the calico's and not other coloured goldfish it is most likely colouration. They often also have red or pinkish coloured gill plates too.

Of course, it could be ammonia burns but no way to tell without knowing the history of the water. Also the burns would not just be around the gill area.

Well i don't know since it's a calico fish i don't know if it's ammonia burns(But i definetely saw black patchs when it opened it's gills wid while greazing on gravels)...

It might be ammonia burns because some orange fantails that were in there had some patchs of black on the bodys, i never knew ammonia burn can be in the gill membranes ;)

Oh, you mean black on the gill membranes, well I'm quite sure that is not normal - membranes should be nice red. The black could be dead tissue (you know how fingers and toes go black from frostbite, it's not from the cold it's because the tissue is dead).

Guest PenelopeFish

Oh gosh, that's horrible. I have no idea what color the gills are supposed to be. I had a fish with blazing red gills who died soon after I bought him. I thought his gills just looked red because his gill plate was so transparent. But I think he had septacimia (sp?) and his red gills were a symptom of that. I've never really looked closely at my healthy fish's gills. I guess I should, so that I know what it looks like when they're sick.

PenelopeFish :heart

Archived