Black Moors

Jeana727

:o

I really like Black Moors. I have a big red Oranda, a Ryukin, 2 fantails, & 4 feeders

I would like to add a moor or 2, I think the color contrast looks great.

Unfortunately everytime I get one it doesn't survive. Any ideas what the problem could be???

hi and welcome.

when you get any new fish do you quarantine it first? do you see anything obviously wrong before they die or do they just keel over? knowing the size of tank, etc may help us too.

How big is your tank, what filter have you got? Did you know that the single tailed goldfish can't live with the fancies because they swims faster and more boisterous need at least 20 US gallons of water while the fancies need at least 10 US gallons of water...

Blackmoors or any other eye-handicap fish need extra care when feeding, because they do not see well and the more faster(e.g feeders,orandas) will get to the food faster before they even NOTICE the food is there.

Whoa, you think it could be the FEEDERS........common goldfish?????

If so I can get rid of them.......what do ya' do with the little buggars?

I was being nice & keepin' them! But i don't want anything that might hurt my oranda!!!

Need advice!

Thanks, Jeana

I got the Black Moors both time at vvvv ( not too smart of me ). I just saw the Moor the first time & had to have one. It died within 2 days then they replaced it. And the 2nd died too!!!

I have since noticed that the tanks at this vvvv are crappy!!

Someone suggested that feeder fish can harm the slower Moors. Anyone heard of that?

It makes since.....I have 4 feeders that cycled my tank. But i was being nice & keeping them....but not if they might endanger my other fish!!

What should I do?

Thanks, Jeana:)

Guest calico4

How many gal. is your tank? How many fish are in it? You might want to get another tank for your handicaped fish or for your commons.

-calico

Ok.....here's a list of my fishies: 29 Gallon Tank

Weekly 25 to 30 % water changes

1 Red Oranda

1 Red & White Ryukin

2 small orange fantails

4 feeders

1 albino cory cat

:rolleyes:

Can you use your own avitar on this sight or only the ones they offer

I picked the kitty w/tha jiggy :rofl

29 gallons shouldn't hold more than three goldfish...so yah sadly enough, I think you should get rid of your feeders. They will get huge and they could be a problem with fancy goldfish, especially eye-handicapped like black moors. I don't like the idea of "getting rid of" fish at all...i'm not sure what you'd do with them as fish are very hard to give away to good homes. I wouldn't be able to part with any of my fish and I'd probably end up in debt, but with another tank that will happily hold the rest of my fishies :) Good luck jeana!

Oh and yes I see your kitty icon, it is very cute :P

Well, I don't wanna sound mean! i'm a real goldie fan! :huh: But Big Boy, my Red Oranda is the star of my tank. He thinks he's a puppy, and I'm not telling him any different. I don't want the commons to bring any harm to him & I don't have another tank.

Advice appreciated!

:crp Yep, looks like I need to get rid of the commons.........any ideas appreciated!

That'll leave me with 1 oranda, 1 ryukin, 2 fantail & 1 corycat

:krazy:

Your orandas and moors will definetly be better off not mixed with the faster commons. If you don't want to buy another tank for them maybe you could give them away if you know anybody who wants them for a pond or see if you can give them to your lfs.

You can use your own avatars after becoming a full member.

Good luck with your fish. And I can definetly understand the star of the tank thing. All of mine think they are the star! :D

Hi Jeana,Welcome to the forum! Yep ,you're way over the "Overstocked" amount for the 29 gal. tank,that's for sure. As was mentioned,luckily ,pond season is coming in right now.You may want to see if your LFS will give you a credit for them,or maybe even run an add in what ever local PennySaver/Trade/Classifieds that you have around where you live. Most people have some sort of newspaper that they can run adds for free,or a small fee,and with pond season,you may get lucky and find someone that will happily care for your "feeder fish" I have bought Black Moor's from vvvv before without any sort of problems on their part. Seeing that you have too many fish in a too small tank may be the factor here.Do you happen to test your water levels on a regular basis? I have 4 Black Moor's who I adore! :heart Think that three of them came from vvvv. Fourums like ours are hopefully here to "educate" some people before they make decisions that they will regret. It's amazing the facts/tips/suggestions ,that you can get help for before you make an unwise purchase. :rolleyes: I notice more & more people "Researchin" before they go out ,and it's really good to see. ;)

Ok.....here's a list of my fishies:  29 Gallon Tank 

Weekly 25 to 30 % water changes

1 Red Oranda

1 Red & White Ryukin

2 small orange fantails

4 feeders

1 albino cory cat

ALL I CAN SAY IS YOU ARE WAY OVER STOCKED!!!

You should take back the 4 feeders and 1 albino cory and the 2 fanails... Because each double tail goldfish need atleast 10 gallons of water and single tail goldies need atleast 15-20 gallons...

;) Peace

:yeah: I think I have THE answer! I really like the idea I read about getting a 50 gallon Tub and running a filter on it!!

I'm thinking my four commons (I'll quit calling them feeders!) would be happy like that. I imagine it with lots of plants. I think it would be a fun project.

I have nine comets in a 55 gallon tub and right now it seems like too much space but everyday I tell myself they are like my son, never be the right size for clothes(tanks, or tubs) but always too small or too big. And they definetly enjoy the space, they can always get away from a fish that may be harrassing them.

Archived