My Lionhead's Birth Defect.

Guest PenelopeFish

Guest PenelopeFish

I have a lionhead goldfish that is almost a year old. She is wenless, and fat, and has a wonderful personality. Her name is Sally and she is a copper color. Sally has the smallest mouth of any of my fishies, and as she has grown, I've figured out why. One side of her mouth is pushed inward. It's like her jaw is broken and pushed into her mouth. This decreases the size of her mouth by half. Sally eats just fine, and her breathing is normal. I had no idea she had this deformity until she grew to be 3 inches. I suppose she was born with this defect.

This makes me wonder about some things. How old does a goldfish have to be before they are show quality? I am sure many goldfish have defects like Sally, that you can't notice until they're older. And more specifically, where did Sally come from? I wish I knew more about her history. Like what country did she come from? What did her parents look like? Was her previous home (before the pet store) humane? Do any of you guys know the histories of your goldfish? I would be really interested in knowing.

PenelopeFish :heart

One of the fry I bought was larger than the others and a beautiful speckled calico, it was probably a lot older than it looked, it was very skinny.

When it got home it couldn't eat crushed flakes, only crumbled pellets and fry food. It's mouth seemed to be too small to take food.

Sadly, it died a few days ago - I don't know how it lasted so long up to this point, I guess it had grown as big as it's small mouth would allow, considering how much food it needed to consume.

Anyway, most of my fish are imports from China or locally breed at a hatchery on the central coast. I always ask the fish stores where the fish came from.

I have a common with a mouth like that. Usually by the time the fry are a few weeks old breeders cull out ones with obvious deformities, like crooked backs and things. Then from there they cull for color and improper fins and tails.

Some ranchus have wens and some dont. My calico ranchu never developed a wen. As for the history, I know most of the ones we get in our store are from Asia. The ones in pet stores are "pet" quality as opposed to show quality. Theyre the ones with deformed fins or tails or backs, or who dont have desirable coloring.

I know my ryukin came from Indonesia, in particular. But all the others are from fish farms in Asia (usually Singapore I think). The feeders are raised locally in hatchery ponds.

Before fish are brought to pet stores they are raised in large outdoor ponds. I have seen pictures of fish farms in Asia. Almost all the fish are raised outdoors and thats why when you first buy a goldfish, its colors are very deep and intense (from the sunlight). Then they fade after being indoors awhile.

As for being kept humanely, it depends on your definition. They are fed and receive water changes, but they are kept in very very crowded conditions. Then they are shipped over 24-48 hours in crowded bags usually with many other goldfish crowded in with them. Thats why a lot look awfully rough when they first come into the stores.

Guest PenelopeFish

That's really interesting guys. I've seen when the babies first arrive at the pet store in a plastic bag. They are packed together really tightly. I am going to ask the pet store guy where they come from, next time I go there.

So, are all the fish in the pet store rejects? I always have hope that there is a show worthy one in there somewhere...

PenelopeFish :heart

• 2 weeks later...

Do to the in-breeding of goldfish, sometimes you see odd little goldfish :o

And the funny thing is that commons and comets are almost always regional suppliers, while Fancies are from the far east (this is talking about the US...)

Archived