Sign in to follow this  
ermidontknow

Eeep What Is This?

my black moor has been completely fine, and then yesterday i suddenly noticed a slight whiteness around its eyes and i thought it was strange but it was late and no pet stores were opened so i just put him in the q tank and went to sleep. now i wake up this morning and look at him and just about have a heart attack..one eye is really swollen and his fins are all shredded looking and he has white rings around both eyes. is this just pop eye? or could it be something else? what should i treat him with?

heres how he looks

453_5375.jpg

453_5377.jpg

hes swimming around just fine, and doesnt *seem* sick but phsyically he looks horrible. im so worried :cry1 any help would be so so so appreciated. thanks you guys :)

Ouch his poor little eyes.

We need you to give us all the info asked for at the top of the page.

Once we have that info we can help you better.

Post back soon and we'll see what we come up with, but it does look like popeye..........but what caused it will be the question.

diffently get us the info hun.

Im wondering if this fish got its self stuck on something, look at the coloring on the eyes it looks like it was rubbed off, also I can see redness behind the scales in the front of the body.....I would almost say this fish got stuck :o

Koko, I beg to differ. :) If you look closely at the top pic, you can see blood red patch under the scales all the way from the middle of the belly to the end of the tail. The eyes looked like popeyes as well. I'm more inclined to say that it is a massive case of bacterial infection. :(

im really not sure about the water params, im out of my little test sticks at the moment but i just siphoned out/changed 15 gallons a couple days ago so the params should be pretty good

Tank size(How many Gals) and How long has it been running? 55 gallons, 1 and a half years

What kind of Filtration? 2 eclipse 3 filters

How often do you change the water and how much? 10 gallons per week

What kind of Water additives or conditioners? amquel + and "plant gro iron enriched"

Any Medications add to the tank? nope

How many fish in the tank and there size? 5 goldies, 2 are about 2", 2 are 5" and one is about 8-9"

Add any new fish to the tank? mm no. this black moor is the most recent addition, about 3 weeks ago.

What do you feed your fish? Any unusual findings on the fish? Such as

"grains of salt", bloody streaks, frayed fins, fungus? the white rings around its eyes, it kind of appears the color has just come off the eyes too, his dorsal and oy whats it called..the back fins..are frayed, his scales were slightlyyy pineconed for a day but theyve gone down, and he has some long white stringy thing hanging off one of his eyes now

Any unusual behavior? Like staying

at the bottom, not eating, ect..? nope, hes acting normal

If you can what is the chloramines Level

from the Tap? hm how do i test for this?

Hi ermidontknow :) - is there any way you can get some drop tests? He's in pretty bad shape and i also believe he's got a major bacterial infection going on.

It sounds as though he may have brought it with him however, without knowing your water parameters, it's hard to know if the water quality has led to a weakening of his immune system. Unfortunately the only way you'll be able to know if his qt has perfect water quality is by testing the parameters daily - and he'll need this to fight.

I don't think salting his tank will do anything - it seems too far advanced but if you can get your hands on some maracyn 2, this may be effective. It's geared to fight most gram-negative bacteria and is also suitable for ailments such as fin and tail rot, popeye, gill disease, dropsy, septicemia and other secondary and internal infections.

Just as an aside - if he was in with your other fish, as a suggestion, add some salt to your main tank. Bacterial infections are contagious so adding 1 tst per gallon (0.1%) then in another 12 hours repeating and another 12 hours, repeating again may hopefully stave off the start of any infection in your other guys.

I hope this helps a little and please post back soon :)

PS - if you change 10gal a week, you may find your nitrates are a little high. A good amount would be roughly 20 gal including vacuuming your gravel. :)

to keep the water params good..if i change out some of the water daily will it lower the effectiveness of meds? i went out and bought some maracyn 2 last night and started treating with that, and hes eating medi gold now too, but im not sure what else to do.

and will adding salt in my main tank kill my plants? i have a bunch of sword plants and java ferns and the sword plants were just about dead for awhile and theyre making a comeback lol and im afraid ill kill them again lol

okay and i just dissolved 10 tsp's of aquarium salt in some warm water and put it in my main tank..is that enough? im afraid ill run out of salt if i put too much in, and wont be able to do it again in 12 hrs

Other than Maracyn-2 and medicated food you should try warming the tank gradually to 78*F. A couple of degrees per hr. Lots of aeration/oxygen will help the healing process.

I would suggest that you relocation the plants for the time being and salt as Jen suggested.

Your main tank is 55gal, right? That means you need 3 dose of 55 teaspoon of salt spread over 36hrs. 10tsp is nothing, I'm afraid.

Good luck!

How is your fish doing now, Ermidontknow?

he wasnt getting any worse or better for a few days, but then yesterday i woke up and he was on his side laying in the plants and passed away later that night :(

I'm so very sorry to hear that... you did everything you could. So sad :cry1

I'm sorry as well. :( Our thoughts are with you.

Oh, no, I didn't expect that when I checked up on him. I am so sorry, Ermidontknow! :(

Sorry about your fish. He looked such a beautiful moor. My deepest sympathy.

Guest blueeyes203

i am sorry for your loss. I wish i had seen your post earlier. I recently had problems with my oranda, and she was sick...after taking some advice from the internet, she became on the edge of death. As soon and i read to do treatment and salting, i freaked out hoping you didn't do it. For the future, i would advise to go to a petstore and ask for someone who knows about fish and disease, and ask them for help. I have an oranda who had ick. I read on the internet to use medicine, salting (1tsp per gallon) and feed it medicated food. also, i covered the tank and raised the temp to 80degrees as researched. I started on the medicine, and the salting, and after the 2nd day, i noticed she had salt burns all over her, and she was laying at the bottom on her belly. I went to get the medicated food and that's when the woman told me "quick, go home, do a 50% water change and stop the salting!" Regular salting is good for the gills, but if the fish isn't used to it and becomes sick, it's an overload of change of routine.

as soon as i got home, i desperatly acted to save spunky, and i thank the petstore lady. I stopped the salting, vaccumed every day with a 20% water change and just stuck with the medication i started on, while keeping the heat up and her covered since those were the right things to do. (If you ever do start a medication, don't switch to something else even if it is better stuff...it can cause a bad reaction) and for the sitting on the bottom, i just fed her peas which i was already doing.

i don't know too much about fish, but have been learning very quickly b/c i love my spunky. I just hope that from my experience being told to you, that it'll help you in the future if you do come across a problem in the future. Though acting fast and wanting fast results is wanted so badly, sometimes you have to be patient and not try to rush the process.

i may not be 100% correct in my oppinion, but i would go to a reputable fish or pet store and speak with someone who knows exactly what you need to do...if they studder or aren't too sure of what' they are directing you to do, find someone else. and always ask for the person who knows the most about what info you are looking for

I wish you luck