The Story Of Coal And Hershey

Black Moorio

I know some of you have been wondering about this, so here is the story of Coal and Hershey.

My Living Room

Christmas Morning

I open and odd, rectangular, cold present. Its a two and a half gallon fish tank! I am so excitied. fish have b een a life long love for me, but I havnt had a real tank for a long time.

vvvv

Two Days Later

I walk the rows of tanks, looking at the fish. I near the black moors, and immediatley fall in love with a small moor with unusually large eyes. i buy him, and name him Coal

My Dad gets Home a Few days Later

He tells me to go look in his car, I see a 29 gallon with all the aquarium suplies. He says that he found it on the street. We stet it up and get 5 commons to cycle it.

A Good Time Later

By this time I have my orand Frenchie with coal, and I move them into the 29 gallon with the commons. I gradually add fish, including another moor, Hershey.

One Night

I go up to my room to see a mangled, black and white figure drifting through the tank. I slowly walk over to see it was coal, he had been ripped apart. His fins blucked off and his tail torn. His scales and been torn off, revealing soft white flesh. Then I see something, his gills, beating. He was still alive. I yell for my dad, and he runs up. I ask him if I could save him, and my dad said no. I was crying, andhe told me to put my little one in a plastic bag in water and put it in the freezer. I couldnt bear to do it, so my dad does it.

About a Week Later

I just got over the death of Coal, and I go up to my room to see Hershey in the same state Coal was only tangled up in a plant and was dead. To this day I'm not sure if he was dead first or not, but I cry some more and place him in the freezer until I could burry him. Frenchie survived this ordeal, but to this day I know Coal could be alive. And Hershey too. I miss him terribly now, and I have controled my need for bigger tanks and more fish, because that was the main reason why I moved him.

Thats the saga of Coal and Hershey then, for those of you who were wondering.

Oh man! that is a sad story. Those poor darlings, such a terrible thing for them to suffer and no way they could get away from those pesky commons. Do you still have the commons?

It is good you are able to excercise self control, I'm still lack much of it.

That's the worse story I've heard of about commons v.s fancies. I heard of chasing and nipping but never such aggression as yours showed.

It's a sad story and thanks for sharing it with us, it may help others prevent the same thing happening to them.

When I think about it Lenny, the aggression was probably started by one fish in particular and the others joined in. Once a fish is injured or maimed seriously it's fair game for any goldfish - not just commons.

Maybe overcrowding or territorial issues started the fray, as BM said, he has learnt self control and is not getting more fish for the tank.

Guest VxShady

I think pretty much any goldfish can be aggressive. But commons are faster, and with the moore they have better eyesight, and having so many fish in too small a tank adds to the territory issues. Fish are VERY territorial.

Thats a very sad story. And I'm sorry for the loss of your fishys. :cry1

A lot of us have had to learn the hard way.

Guest calico4

Ohhh, that is sooo sad :cry1 . I hope my blacky doesnt have that happen. :unsure: sorry about hreshy and coal :(

-calico

Such a sad ordeal for you. I never had that happen, however I did end up getting rid of a common that I had a year ago. It was sooo aggressive and fast and would beat up on the others.

I'm sorry that you had to go through that situation. All the best and sorry to hear about hershey and coal. Cheer up hun.

That was a very sad story..... I feel for you because something very similar has happened to me in the past.

Lucky for the commons you do not have the temper I have.

If it were me, the commons would be "sleeping with the fishes" straight away.

Hope you get over your loss and start again (without the commons?)

Slugger

That is a sad story. I do believe though that if "goldfish" are kept with their own king things would be better.

Moors with Moors

Comets with Comets

Orandas with Orandas

And so on, my new little one "Ebony" I thought needed a friend. Instead of getting another moor no I had to add some color and get a Fantail. This little critter kept on bumping Ebony and literally pushing him all around the tank. The moor never got food and I only let this go on for 2 days. It was not spawning as they are much to young for that. It is very true about the telescope fish not being able to see the food for a few minutes. Take some time and watch them oneday how the food floats down then they see it a few seconds later.

I now have my moor by himself with his buddy mr. otto cat and all is well and happy. If I ever find another color of moor I would gladly add it to my tank. We never get those neat looking colored ones only black.

Oh, that is so sad, I'm so sorry for your loss :cry1

However, I do want to stick up a little for commons here ....

We have 3 commons and a comet and a lemon nymph, they are all so sweet and loving. Ours are very peaceful and we have seen no signs of aggression.

At one point we got a shubunkin and that really was aggressive to our other poor fish, it was awful to watch, so we took him back to the LFS and peace reigned once more in the tank.

So I guess what I'm trying to say to any who might be feeling upset with commons, it's more likely that an individual fish (of any type) might be aggressive, but it doesn't mean ALL are, so please dont be turned off them.

an individual fish (of any type) might be aggressive, but it doesn't mean ALL are

Quite true, I have had very peaceful commons as well. Glad to hear you have a peaceful tank.

Similarly, I would always get rid of any aggressive fish that seriously hurt another goldie. It is heartbreaking to see our beloved fish being bullied. :cry1

Slugger

I have never seen any aggression in my tank, until I got a black moor. When I found it dead, I got another not realizing what had occured. Then I found the 2nd one dead. Then I found out commons could be aggressive!!!

They've never bothered my other fish. I hate that it happened to the Moors. I think they are adorable fish.

I'm planning to make a "pond" out of a 55 gal tub for them. With lots of plants. I think they would be very happy. And i won't have to worry about any aggression happening again

:unsure: .

Archived