Do Koi Need To Be Feed?

Guest calico4

Guest calico4

Ok, do you need to feed your koi? I have a koi in my pond outside and I havent fed him because my aunt has 4 goldies in her pond and she never feeds them and they are fat and healthy.

Is it hard to hand feed koi? I have never seen Mr.koi at the top of the water, I alwayse have to pickup a plant box thing to see him it seems like he is alwayse at the bottom. Mr.koi is 3 to 4 in. long. Is he big enough to eat those big floating pellet things?

I hope i can get some info. thanks

-calico

yes, you need to feed him. If your water temps are still cool, 65 or below, you should feed a winter/fall food. Don't feed too much. There is a small pellet for small koi. Have you gotten filtration yet? I was also wondering how big is your pond? Koi need a large pond. Koi also like to have someone else to keep them company.

On hand feeding. Some fish do it and some wont. You have to be patient. When you feed you feed in the same spot. You do NOT feed unless the fish is begging for the food. If he doesn't come and ask, then he isn't hungery. When you feed in the same spot in your pond he'll know where to go. When he see's you coming, that is the area he'll go to. Once you get that established you can get closer to the water when you put your pellets in. Eventually your fish may start taking it from your hand. I've noticed that the smaller fish seem to be more shy and the larger ones more brave. It only took me 15 minutes to teach my fish to eat from my hand, but my largest koi is brave. She enjoys a back rub and belly rub LOL. Here is a picture of her taking a pellet from my hand. This was taken three years ago, she is probably a little over 12 inches in this picture, now she a whale LOL closer to 3 feet.

scottkoi13.jpg

Scott

Guest calico4

I wish i had like 1000$$ to spend on fish/pond stuff. I wish i had someone who could help with with it. Like in real life. I havent got the pump yet. I dont really know how many gal. the pond is. I want to keep koi the right way with the right things. :unsure::exactly I am going to get some commons to put with him

when i get a bigger pond soon :)

-calico

We can figure out how many gallons; what is the length, width, average depth, also is it round, oval, square, rectangle?

You can find help in your area! There are koi clubs all over the U.S. some states have a lot of them. My state only has one :( . BUt, if you contact the koi club closest to you I am sure that they would be happy to help. Here is a link to the registered AKCA clubs.

http://www.akca.org/

You may have more koi clubs or water garden societies in your area? If you do a web search you'll surely find them. There is always someone with extra stuff for emergencies, or just because it's there because they haven't gotten rid of it. Pumps, filters, water treatments, etc... I read an article about a koi club member whom was called because a family had a pond which had gotten out of hand. This pond had several koi and was disgusting. The koi club member went to the house, found out the problem and luckely had everything needed to fix the problems at home. It was a happy ending for everyone. People that love koi love all koi. They are more than happy to help other's when help is needed. This help is part of the reason that koi clubs were started. So get ahold of your local club and I bet you someone will be more than happy to help you.

Scott

Guest calico4

Ok thats alot of info. it is round and a tub. I am from wisconsin, i dont know how many poeple in wis. have koi .lol. But someone probably has some. I will look for some people. I will keep you guys updated.

-calico

****100th POST****

Archived