Mineral Water

Guest tutomo

Guest tutomo

Hi everyboy,

i just want to ask, is it ok if i use mineral water (drinking water such as evian) for gold fish? because the water quality in my area is not very good. I live in jakarta, indonesia.

Thank you guys...

I will go look and see what Evian has in it, but, unless it is devoid of all minerals (does not sound like it is), or has all the buffer removed (like distilled or even RO), I should think it would be fine.

:)

Welcome to Koko's. :D I hope you come back a whooooole bunch. It is nice having people from different places here! ;)

Guest jmp6161987

I agree that it should be fine. If you think there is a better way to get water that would perhaps be cheaper that might be a good idea though. Perhaps treating your tap water or filtering it first depending on the problem. Just letting it sit out over night of for two days, uncovered, also removes many toxins. Try just letting the water sit for 24-48 hours, test it, and see if that helps at all this way you won't be spending so much money on bottled water!

I have used bottled water in some of my tanks before (because our water is rock hard!). Test your pH and hardness. If the bottled water is very low you could always add a little buffer like they sell for saltwater tanks to keep it stable.

What exactly is wrong with your tapwater? Usually goldfish can adapt to pretty much any water conditions. Like I said, our tapwater is extremely hard, with a pH well over 8, but my goldfish are doing great in it.

Welcome to the board. :)

I have found that mineral water can have a lot of calcium fluoride and salts (calcium and magnesim salts) - as well as practically anything the water flowed through before it was bottled. That is what makes it "mineral" water - it dissolves minerals the water flows through and carries them.

Not only is this water rock hard, but you probably do not need or want the kinds of minerals that it will include. The mineral content is also not a constant, I have found. It varies with the water and the bottle - depending on where/when/how the water was collected.

You would do better with regular bottle water if you really decided you needed it. There is regular "drinking" water that is bottled that may be more palatable for your fish.

Guest tutomo

hi,

thank you guys for your inputs... i will let u know if my fish still survive...

is it true fantail can eat spinach?

Mine LOVE spinach. And dandelion greens. If the fish are small, you can slice it into very small shred and they will love it. My big fish enjoy ripping and shredding it for themselves. They look like little sharks in there - shaking and shredding the leaves. It is fun to watch! :)

Archived