Water Changes / Brown Gunk

Guest Morten33

Guest Morten33

I have a question about cleaning and the water changes.

When I do water changes once a week, I let the filter run while I take out some of the water. When I fill the tank back up with treated water, the filter shoots out this really gross brownish stuff, in pretty big pieces. Is this the good bacteria?

Also, I am not completely sure I understand how to clean my filter? I have a penguin 150 that has a bio wheel. But what is filter floss? Is that the thing with the carbon in it? The bio wheel and the thing with the carbon are not in separate chambers. If there is a way to keep the brown gunk from going all into my tank when I do water changes I would like to know?

Thanks for any help

Emily

well the brown junk is most like good bacteria and algea. I usually let my filters run while I do water changes because theirs always enough water for them to keep going. Thats kinda odd that when you feel it back up, then it shoots stuff out. ive only had this happen when i take my filter pad out, and there might be a bit of junk on the sides of the filter that come off as the filter rubs up on it. And yes, filter floss is the thing with the carbon in it. I wondered the same thing for awhile. I usually call mine just filter pads tho, but everyone has different names for everything. Also, never clean the inside of the filter. You may already know this, but I had no idea entil a couple of months ago. I was sooo glad i found out, because my tank was almost done cycling! I could have really screwed things up. For years, I thought it was ok. ANYWAYS,

The only thing I can think of to keep the brown junk from going into the tank, is maybe putting a net under the flow of water going into the tank, that way the net catches all the junk.

My filter does that to.. I figured it was because when you lower the water level, you loose some power (and lower your GPH) and when you fill it back up, its a burst of energy so to say... so it loosens everything up...

thats MY theory anyway.. i may be WAY off... i mean, i could be aliens messing with us... or a practical joke by the goldies... XD (j/k)

Archived