Nervous Momma

Guest VxShady

Guest VxShady

So today, I finally did it. I've been debating for quite some time. I have two bettas that lived in their own seperate bowls that I just cleaned every day. So today I decided to do it. I put a divider in my hospital tank and have them both in there. I'm incredibly nervous. The divider seems rather flimsy to me. But they've been there for three hours now, and I've been watching, waiting, staring. They haven't even noticed eachother yet. I put plants on both sides of the divider, and a bubble wall on one side in a lame attempt to conceal them from eachother. But my little red one, Lil Devil, hasn't moved from the side of the tank closest to the door. He stares at the door just waiting for me to enter so he can puff at me. He always puffs at me. He's an angry one.

I plan on having them in there so they can keep the tank cycled for me. Its usually empty until a fish is sick. That caused problems during the last bout of illness so I decided to just keep it running. When there's a sick fishy they'll be in the bowls during that time. But they should be much happier for most of the time.

I put Hells Rainbow in there last night. I just put Lil Devy in today. They both seem okay, more space. I think the current from the filter might be a bit much, but they seem okay. So why can't I stop panicking?

Hee hee, stop twitching Sandy. ^_^

I have a similar arrangement for two of my bettas and have never had a problem. Except for the two times my new cat got into the tank and upset the divider and they ended up together one time. The other time they somehow managed to swap sides. :lol: Anyway, they were so spooked by the cat they were huddled together under a plant as polite as can be.

They are probably a little unsure about their new environment and the sensation of water current, give them a little time and I'm sure they will settle in nicely.

edit: btw that's a good way to keep your hospital tank cycled.

:) I've had three in a divided ten gal.tank for quite a few months now,and so far,it's all good.I occasionly press against the divider once in a while just to make sure it as taut as it needs to be, Placing plants in between each other is a good idea too.My guys can still get a peek at each other here & there,and then they have a moment of "flaring",but ususally just go about their business. A cover /lid opn the top of tank helps.Don't fill water to the very top either.Most important,don't get too lax......They are very good "Escape Artists" I have babies to prove it!!!! Although I must say that they were in a smaller tank with a plastic divider that came with the tank-it didn't see quite even against the side of the glass.I paid a little extra for the one in the ten gal.,and it is very tight. Never underestimate the Power nor the will power of a Betta....... :yeah: The three in the ten are all males...

Guest VxShady

What kind do you have in your ten gallon? I have some penn plax flimsy one that I'm nervous about. There's just clips on the tops and nothing holding down the bottom so the sides are loose. It kept sliding around. I went around and stole one suction cup from all of my heaters and put them next to the sides to kind of keep it still. I just don't trust the darn thing. So now my heaters aren't too sturdy, but its just temporary. As long as no one goes in there and bashes them against the tank, it should be fine.

Mine are both males. Bad lil angry ones.. specially Lil Devy. Hells Rainbow flares at me when he's hungry.. Lil Devy.. all the time. Sometimes I wish I could buy a little bicycle helmet for him and some tattoos. Wants to be such a tough little devil. :flex: :devil:

If you're worried about the divider (which seems to be working just fine) might I suggest an easy D.I.Y. divider? Using plastic canvas ($ .25 a sheet), binder report slips (3x $1.00) and aquarium sealent you can easily construct a "side-tight" and "high-enough" divider that will allow the occasional flaring with IMO the most safe divided tanks. I've got two with these homemade dividers, a 5 divided two ways and a 10 divided 3 ways. Most members with more then one betta have done this and swear by it. Hehe, just another choice on your plate.

Guest VxShady

With that DIY divider would it be easily removable? I'd need to take it out if any of my goldies ever got sick.

Also, I was wondering what temp I should put the tank at? I don't know what temp bettas like, plus I can't have it too high because again, if there is an emergency, I wouldn't wanna have to sit there and wait for the temp to drop or do water changes to bring it down. My goldy tank is at 74. Currently the hospital tank is at 80.

My guys are loving it though. They've been pacing the divider staring at eachother. They were both at the bottom concealing themselves behind a piece of the colored plastic that lines the divider and kind of playing :peeka

It must be nice for them though. More space, higher temp. Filter. YIPPEE! But now they're having to search a bit more for their food. They don't notice me as much during feeding time because they're too busy flaring at eachother.

Guest VxShady

The DIY divider sounds spiffy. I might have to try that. Do you punch holes in the canvas sheets? How big? The ones in the one I bought are itty bitty and I can't imagine the filter getting the big hunks of poo through there. Just hole punch big I think would have been fine. But is that too big? And I would have to drain the tank and dry it out to glue the slides to the side. I should do that before this thing starts to cycle so I don't have to put them through that again. Hmm..

The plastic canvas that you use is for needlepoint, so it is like a mesh. You find it in the craft section of department stores or at craft stores such as Michael's.

Yes, you would have to drain the tank and dry it, then leave the silicone sealant to dry for 24 hours.

Good luck, it sounds like your bettas are going to love their new homes :D

Guest VxShady

Ohhhh! Those canvas sheets! Ugh... so retarded some times.

Can't remember my next day off. Gonna be a few days. But I'm gonna do it darn it!

Guest VxShady

I seem to be having difficulty collecting all the parts. The craft store seems to be closed every time I go there! Hmph. Trying again real soon here. And I was thinkin, would the plastic slides that the one I bought work to hold the canvas? I could just glue them down right? I can't find the binder report slips. Hmm. Does any one have a picture of this thing? I don't know if I'm thinking of this right. Not that its all that difficult. Its just a square with holes in it.

If you'll excuse Malaysia (she's a camera hog) behind her is excatly what I'm talking about.

Bettas20.jpg

To glue the binder spine to the glass you'll need aquarium sealent as this is the only product I know of that will not harm the fish. It can be found at any LFS or home depo store for around $3.00. Hope this clears up any thing for you. :D

Yes, you could use the slides that came with the divider rather than the binder spines. I have used the divider slides before and just attached them using aquarium sealant. The canvas needlepoint mesh fit into it just fine.

Keep us posted on your project :D

Guest VxShady

Okay, so then all I need now is the mesh, I already have the sealant. But that darn craft store seems to have awfully weird hours and I always seem to be working during all of them! I'll get there! YES I WILL! But I'll probably start draining the tank out and sealing it tomorrow night when I get off work. Don't have to wait for the mesh. I don't know why I keep thinking I have to wait for the mesh. Thanks a bunch guys! I'm sorry I keep asking so many stupid questions but I'm really nervous about this and wanna make sure everythings right!

Whats great now is they have light and I can actually see their true colors! They're so pretty! And kinda fat.. <_<

But I guess its back in the bowls for a few days. :(

Guest VxShady

Well I've begun. The side strips are now on the tank and we're just waiting for them to dry.

I couldn't find the canvas stuff at the craft store, but I did find a chunk of plastic that I think is used for needlepoint or something also. It fits perfectly.

They're both quite upset about being back in the bowls. But tomorrow night they can go back into the tank.

Now I'm just trying to figure out how to put the filter on how I want it. I need it on the side of the tank, as opposed to the back so that the flow travels across the entire length of the tank so that one fish isn't taking the whole brunt of the filter. The flow wasn't getting to the other fish and the poor guy on the side of the tank was getting tossed around a bit too much, I think. It sits perfectly on the side.. cept.. then the lid wouldn't fit, now would it? I already had to butcher the lid just to get it to fit on the back. Those emperor filters are nice, but they seem a bit bulkier then the rest so tank manufacturers just don't seem set up for them.

In my 5 gallon divided tank, I have the AquaClear filter on the back with the intake tube in one section and the outflow in the other. I have draped a piece of filter floss over the outflow to cut down on the current. I actually use quilt batting and cut a rectangle and drape it down over the outflow, holding it in place using the lid.

This has worked for me, and the bettas have done well in both sides for almost 18 months :)

Guest VxShady

How is your intake tube and your outflow in different parts of the tank? Isn't it all one unit? :huh: I have so much to learn. You guys are so nifty!

Well the plastic stuff is too hard to move in the strips. I bought two different types, the other ones thinner but the holes are smaller. But I'm gonna give it a shot.

Thats a very nifty idea with the filter floss. I'm.. gonna steal that idea. Along with the other ones. Just as soon as I figure out how you got the intake tube in a different section then the rest of the filter. :rofl

With the AquaClear filters, you can just trim down the divider a bit where the filter fits over it, and you can put the intake tube on one side and the outflow on the other. I keep my water down about 2" from the top rim in my divided tanks, so this trimming doesn't create a problem.

I really don't think it makes any difference though. I think with your filter, just put it on one side of the divider :)

Guest VxShady

Ohhh.. so your intake tube is to like the far side of one side of the filter. I get it. I wish I could think a little bit more before I type.

Guest VxShady

<shrieks> I'm so excited. I want them back in the tank they hate those bowls! I can't remember what time I glued those suckers on. I think it was around 9 but I'm not sure so I'm having to hold myself back.

Guest VxShady

Well the tank is up and running. But unfortunately because of the biowheel being right smack where it is, I am unable to figure out how to attach the filter floss to the intake tube. I'm still working on some ideas. They're staring at me from their lil bowls, flaring.. saying.. "PUT ME BACK IN!"

Archived