Ghost Shrimp

atryeu

I recently bought 4 ghost shrimp not quite a week and a half ago that I was going to feed to my fish, but my poor fishies ended up deathly ill out of the blue so the shrimp are sitting all alone in a seperate little fish bowl right now.

All 4 of the shrimp are pregnant and I though I might as well keep them around and see if I can hatch since they obviously are going to be around for awhile (*glances at my last poor dying fish and cries*).

I was looking around online but can't find very much information on them and was wondering if anybody around here had some information and tips about the ghost shrimp :)

About how long do the shrimp keep the eggs with them before the lay them/hatch them?

If/When they hatch, is there any special foods they need and do they need cover from the larger shrimp (will the adult shrimp eat the young?)?

On the only page of info I found about raising ghost shrimp, it said having an air pump in with the shrimp is about all that's needed to keep them from dying. Is that really all or is there something else I need to get to keep them alive?

Any info is appreciated! If nobody knows, that's fine LoL. I don't think my poor goldfish will survive the night, and I don't know if a Betta would eat the shrimp (do they?)

the betta probably wouldnt eat them, but he would try to nibble their antennas and feelers. I dont know much about the eggs, but mine did and Im overrun....Since mine are in my big tank, they just eat stuff from the bottom of tank and algae, I'd guess the could just eat crumbled fish food and stuff...they are fast as lightning and love the bubble bar though! A plant or 2 would be enough cover from the adults fromt he babies i think :)

There are a couple of different species of shrimp labeled "Ghost Shrimp," but to my knowledge, the eggs hatch and the mother still carries the young around for a while. Then the baby shrimp go to the surface and hang upside down like bats on the surface of the water for a few days, this may or may not be true but I remember reading this somewhere. Then they will start swimming around and eating like the adults do, basically anything they can scavenge including soft algae. I don't think they are difficult to breed as many people end up getting babies without even trying to, in tanks it would seem unlikely for the to survive in. Just like the adults they need some cover to hade away in especially for when they are vulnerable after molting. HTH

Thanks for some of the information! They are still in a little fish bowl all to themselves with a small decoration in there to climb around on (it's a hallow decoration with a hole in the back that I've noticed them climbing in and out of a few times already). I've been adding a small piece of flake food and half of a small sinking pellet for them which they seem to just love.

As far as I can tell, there are no fry yet. Any idea how long the eggs take to hatch?

I've heard that the Baby Brine Shrimp work well for almost any fry but I can't find anything like that around here (I've checked the 2 fish stores and mmm). It costs a fortune online o.0

Thanks again for the info! If there is anything else anybody can tell me, I'd appreciate it!

Thanks for the link! I just read through the info and that helped a whole lot! It sounds like aside for providing some cover and small bits of food there isn't much to it! Hmm, and it says about 27 days or so for the eggs. That isn't too bad :) Who knows how long these ones have had the eggs so I guess I'll just have to wait!

Thank you again for the information!

• 2 weeks later...

Hello again!

Well, my little babies hatched I believe it was THursday night/Friday morning. I think there were about 18 of them, but I think the adult might have eaten a few already -_-

I was wondering, does anybody know about how long it takes the babies to start growing up? Right now they are in a little container and I wanted to know about when I should think about moving them to a larger fish bowl or something....

LoL. Hmm, I figured it would take at least another month before they start getting a bit bigger but I don't know.

*sigh* My adult shrimp got ahold of some of them it looks like -_- I don't really have anything I could setup to provide them cover <_< I'm hoping the last few will make it though! They are staying near the very top of the container out of the adult's reach for now!

Archived