Water Condition.......help!

Guest fishMommy11

Guest fishMommy11

[color=blue how do you make the water softer in your tank.when i do a reading it's coming up as very hard ...i am having probs with tank and fighting an amonia problem and have followed up with all the right steps..ammo-lock,amochips,and water changes....the fish are stressing but still stong...i also puschased a better filter system so this should help...will the water eventually get softer as the tank hopefully clears or what can i add.....thanks

I have hard water in my tank. It doesn't really stress the fish out, that's just how the tapwater is here. I started out with really hard water, but then it started softening up after a while. It is now fine. As for your fish being stressedl, your tank may not be cycled. How long have you had it set up? :)

Hi and welcome. We will need you to give us more information.

Like what your set up is and what the testing you have done and the results.

Ammonia, nitrites, nitrates and Ph, KH and alkalinity please.

Test your tap water and the tank water and post both numbers.

How are your fish oK???

Our water here is about as hard as it gets. I was once told to keep African cichlids and nothing else (they like very very hard water with a high pH). The good news is that hard water means you have a good stable pH, which is more important than having a high or low pH. The good news is that goldies are very adaptable fish, and can thrive in several different conditions.

As far as the ammonia problem, throwing in Ammolock and Ammochips is only a short term solution. You need to get to the root of the problem. Is that tank new? Is it still cycling? IF so then you wil just need to be patient and let it cycle completely. Throwing in lots of chemicals is only going to slow the process down and lead to more problems later on.

But like Laurie said please post your info so we can help you more.

Archived