Goldfish Growth

Guest mimodok

Guest mimodok
:unsure: Does anyone know of a good vitamin supplement or food that willl help goldfish grow faster? I've had a tiny oranda for about a year and it hasn't grown hardly at all. It's the same with my other two fish, I've had them for a long time and taken good care of them and they haven't grown at all.

Guest PenelopeFish

Sometimes it is difficult to gage a goldfish's growth if you are looking at them everyday. I know that sounds silly, but it's true. Once I went away for vacation for a month, and when I got back, my goldfish looked huge! You may also have a stunting problem in your tank. What kind of goldfish are they? You may not be providing them enough room to grow. And lastly, sometimes goldfish just don't grow very large. Their size is genetic, and they might just be naturally small. I don't know of any specific vitamins you could feed your fish. All I know is that varied diets get good results. Feed your goldies plenty of fruits and veggies (they'll eat practically anything), and keep you water clean. Some goldfish don't turn into monsters, but if they're happy and healthy, that's what matters.

PenelopeFish :heart

Guest mimodok

I have two small orandas and one medium size ranchu in a 37 gallon aquarium. I have a total of 405gph filtration, live plants, large variety of foods, and perfect water quality (I do a 25%-50% water change every two weeks).

I can see how after looking at them every day I wouldn't notice how much they've grown. So, I compared them to some old photos taken a LONG time ago and they haven't really changed at all.

Should I feed them larger amounts of food? Maybe I'm not giving them enough... :unsure:

One good reason for changing the water every week (not just for water quality) but also because they release a growth inhibitor hormone so they won't outgrow their space. And it could simply be genetics. I have one that has grown some but not very much and she has other issues too so I think that is some of it.

Guest mimodok

Ammonia: 0 mg/L

Nitrates: 0 mg/L

Nitrites: 0 mg/L

PH: about 7.5

Temperature: 75 degrees Fahrenheit

I've started to feed them larger amounts of food, and they seem to be growing faster. I was feeding them what they could eat in about 2 minutes.

I thought I was overfeeding them because the smallest fish kept having swim bladder problems, so I started feeding smaller amounts. I fed them like this for about a year and a half before I noticed they had practically stopped growing.

:D They all seem to be doing fine now, and no one is having swim bladder problems. Now I'm feeding them what they can eat in about four minutes.

Guest labrat99

Mimo,

I think that you are on the right track by feeding them more. Just like us, they need food in order to grow. As they are eating more they are producing more waste so you might want to think about weekly water changes if nitrates start to build up.

One thing I noticed in your post - you listed nitrates as zero; you should definitely have a level of nitrates in a cycled tank. Typo, maybe?

Good luck and take care.

Labrat

try frozen foods. its helping my kids... (stop them! their turning into monsters!! lol) MY commons were 1/2 inch in november 04, and are now 3.5 inches! and going....

Archived