IMG_0499c.jpg

Aren't they adorable? They just hatched within the last 24 hours

after a 4+ week gestation period. Here's all four of them

IMG_0500c.jpg

Mom watching closely

IMG_0501c.jpg

ducks and geese don't seem to mind being in close proximity

IMG_0504c.jpg

here's a tiny duckling that was born next to the pond last week.

IMG_0497c.jpg

Do geese eat fish? I actually saw a pair of Canadian geese sitting on my roof which I thought odd, and then got worried as I realized they might be here because of the pond and might be eating my fish (My fish are much smaller than those in your picture being only about 1.5").

Really nice pictures, I once raised ducklings before releasing them (As full grown ducks) into a nearby park that has ducks year round.

Guest PenelopeFish

If there is one thing I love as much as goldfish, its ducklings and goslings! Oh my, they are very cute! What a happy place to live! Those goldfish are gigantic! What are they fed, steak and potatoes?? Hee hee, goldfish are meant to be fat. Enjoy those fuzzy babies!

PenelopeFish :heart

I absolutly love the pictures of the geese. I would so appreciate some more pictures of them and their babies. I am currently decorating my bathroom with Canadian Geese and am having a hard time getting nice pictures.

I love to look at them.

Guest LakeWater

I don't know jsrtist about whether it's manmade or natural but my guess is manmade. The pond is around 2-to-3 million gallons.

It's a great place to live - in addition to geese and ducks breeding, we have rabbits breeding (the pups when they first start roaming on their own are about the size of mice but a "mouse with a fur coat" :D )

I hope to get pics tomorrow to see how they're progressing

Guest LakeWater

Raith - my last thread was inappropriate for the site. But that thread was about the many pics I got of this beautiful duckling in the pond. This thread is about the pond's two resident geese having 4 pups.

LaurieP you'd love this pond so so so much. We have geese year round at the pond. Of course they get so use to humans that you can get within feet of them. In fact some of those pics of their geeselings I was not but 5 feet away. Here's a much crisper pic of two geese at the pond:

IMG_0489c.jpg

LW I love that one, I have thought about coping it and maybe using it.

I have searched the net for a clear pic of a pair and their young ones and nothing. Maybe if you get some more......I could find one to use.

I think these geese are just magnificent. I love to hear them, we have a creek behind the house and just down the road where it opens up some there a dozens of them.

YOu can't get close to them, but when they fly over head, I just love it.....that "honk honk honk" makes me smile every time.

Guest LakeWater

Forgot to mention the pond has not one breeding pair of geese but two. The 2nd pair's eggs haven't hatched yet so I hope I can get brand new pics of their pups :) .

Guest LakeWater

That honk-honk sound is so majestic - I always wonder what they're saying to each other.

It's always so "funny" how they act towards me when I walk pass them. They won't fly away but they'll turn towards me and open their mouth so you can see their tongue.

I also love how they "ski" off the pond water when they land - if I could get a pic of them doing this it be a winner-winner.

Here's another close-up shot

IMG_0491c.jpg

awwww. Every year in out courtyard at school, a mother duck comes and lays her eggs and then we ahve ducklings for the remaining part of the yera! The 6th grade puts tubs of water out for them. We sit and watch them at class, this yera there are 12 of them!

I think I lost count of our Canadian Gosse poulation at around 13047123947495791 (That is a Chelsea number). I will be happy to take pictures for you, too, Laurie. Tell me what you want.

The geese move in and really take over this time ofyear. We do not get Mallards (much) for the Canadians are much too agressive to share their grazing areas and water.

I love collecting the flight feathers they moult when they go to the flightless stage after the goslings are hatched. I collect baskets of them - bleach them out and make them into cat toys. They are truly wonderful toys...... :D

Daryl you doll!!! I would so love that, the more the better.

I want a very nice picture of 2 geese flying over head, a close up though, so you can see the feathers. Of course a blue sky would be nice (as my bathroom is "sailboat" blue).

I would also like a clear pic of a mom and babies, with a background to go with the blue of the paint.

LW that last pic is very good too, who knows I may do a little collage to go in there!!! Wooo hooo, here I was searching the world for what I wanted and I can find it right here at Koko's!!!!

Experts in motivational speaking often use the geese in a comparison for motivating employees of a specific work place.

The geese when they fly in the "V" pattern has meaning to that. With the lead bird in place it cuts down on the wind resistance for the remaining birds that follow. When that bird gets tired it falls back into the "V" and another takes his place. They all take turns at "pulling" the flock around the world so that one doesn't take all the trauma of flight.

Also when a bird for any reason is "knocked" out of the "V" 2 or 3 birds will fall back to be with it so when he/she is ready to go they can have the pattern back. If for some reason that bird dies the others will stay with it until the end and then leave for the rest of the flock.......of course using the formation.

Fabulous isn't it!!!

Guest PenelopeFish

I wish I had a digital camara, because instead of geese walking around my yard, I have peacocks. They are the craziest animals ever! I'll try to get some pictures of them with someones camara.

PenelopeFish :heart

P.S. A peacock would most likely LOVE some goldfish for dinner. They eat anything!

how cute. although i'll never go near them again. once when i was little, i was in the park and there were some geese and there babies. well i was curious and went to go get an up close look at them. the dad turned at me and chased me a few feet squacking. so i have never gotten that close again. :) but those babies look very cute. co do the ducks. at least i can still go near ducks.

:) Lovely pictures! There's a park not too far from me,about a ahlf hour/45 minutes at most called North Park. When My daughter was small,we use to take her out there to watch/feed the ducks & geese. How protective those Parents were. I have a few pics of them chasing us when we got too close! :lol: I had Hot dog Buns one day to feed them,and Heather decided that she was the one that wanted to eat,only a goose sitting close by decided that it was also hungry & the pic was of them both biting on opposite sides of the bun! :o:lol: Normally,I would have never allowed that because they can get really mean at times,but it all happened so quick that it was over before we could react. :rolleyes:

Guest Esareh

The ducks in January Wallbash park (no goldies....) Always quack in this odd tune that sounds like the weirgen burg theater song.... Wearinburg, theaters, daa da!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest LakeWater

WOW!! The second pair of geese had their pups this morning:

IMG_0543e.jpg

IMG_0544e.jpg

Awwwwww - looking for protection from mom

IMG_0545e.jpg

this one decides to try his first test of swimming

IMG_0546e.jpg

Dad keeping an eye on the future Olympic swimmer :D

IMG_0547e.jpg

wow - he's really learning fast!

IMG_0548e.jpg

3 want to stay on land

IMG_0549e.jpg

this one wants nothing but water

IMG_0549f.jpg

Guest golden_goldy93

Sorry to burst your bubble but this site is about FISH. Not about fish eating birds that gobble up a bunch of fish a day.

Archived