General Feeding Question

Guest golden_orr

Guest golden_orr

Hello,

sorry if this question has been posted before. I have two shubumkins, one is a dumpy fantail type (Speedy)

majority of the time Speedy is a happy bright little swimmer - its only when I feed her swim bladder problems manifest and cause her some degree of discomfort

now, I do feed them de-shelled cooked peas and both fish actively love this food and the swim badder problems subside. But for most of the time I feed them flakes, the flakes I soak for a minute and make into a paste then hand feed them from under the surface - but still Speedy has the problem!

what am I doing wrong?? I don't feed them blood worms as I tried them and a.) makes the tank too dirty and b.) the fish aren't that fussed on them (I think I have veggie fish!! I also have fresh weed and that is nibbled on all the time.)

what other foods are specifically good for swim bladder problems but still give the fish enough energy to scoot about the tank?

both my wee guys are awsome characters and I have become very fond of them in the past year I've had them, I keep them in my kitchen and every time someone walks into the room they become so animated, they follow you round the room swiming up and down - I just want the best for them.

thank you - sorry for the really long post :)

As for swimbladder, just try to vary their diet as much as possible. Peas are a great thing to get them 'moving' try other veggies and fruits as well. Flakes, in general cause alot of constipation and swimbladder i think. Good luck! :)

Gel food also helps fish with SB problems. There is a recipe pinned at the top of this page I think. :)

With GF which are very prone to SB troubles - as yours seem to be - it's better not to feed any dried foods at all, even pre-soaked. Feed the gel food, combined with a mixture of frozen live foods (try krill, mysis shrimp and brine shrimp if your guys do not like bloodworms) and fresh green foods, like your peas, at least twice a week. This should make a difference.

Hope this helps. :)

Guest golden_orr

thanks for the pointers

I think gel food is the way forward, I also think possible overfeeding might be a factor too, I've informed my flatmates not to feed or if they do leave a post-it note.

The overfeeding is just love; when Sid and Speedy swim up and down going "Hello! feed me" everyone finds it hard to refuse!!

they live in the lap of luxury those two, their both little babies I'd say Speedy is 2"inches and Sid about 3"inches, and they have a whole 10 gallon tank to themselves! Quite a pad!

anyway, once again cheers :)

Guest golden_orr

*edit: the tank is a bit bigger than 10g - I got it from a friend I think it is acually a 20g :huh: well its huge anyway!

Hi,

You are very wise to realize that overfeeding can be the cause of your fish's problems. It also lowers the quality of the water.

Goldfish naturally beg for food all the time but it is best to feed them a small amount twice a day. (what they can eat in a couple of minutes) Too much food is constipating and causes the swim bladder disorder symtoms.

One thing I feed mine is spirulina flakes, they love them and it helps prevent swim bladder problems.

:):):)

Archived