20 Gal High And Filtration

My brother got a 20 gal high tank from a garage sale and it came with a penguin 110. It seems to filter the top of the water pretty well but it barely moves the bottom half. Is there something that can be done to the filter that can help move the bottom half? Or is there something that I can add to the tank, I already have an airstone.

With high tanks you usually need an extender on the intake tube. However I would probably recommend getting a new filter and not messing with the old one.

I am not sure how much water the penguin 110 does an hour, I don't think it is enough, I could be wrong.........if so someone correct me.

Having a longer intake tube will help with sucking the water from the bottom of the tank.

He was thinking about getting one of them but he didn't think it would do much to help move the water at the bottom so he didn't get it. He only paid $15 for the tank, stand, filter, plants and some bottles of stuff like for the ph and ammonia. And already has paid 3 times that amount for the gravel, heater, air pump, test kit and fish so I dont think he wants to buy a new filter. So I was just hoping that something can be done to make the filter work better.

I am going to try to put a link here for you from goldfishconnection.com

https://www.goldfishconnection.com/articles...114&parentId=10

In the article Rick is talking about improving the intake tube with PVC pipe and drilling holes in it. Maybe you could get a pipe, drill the holes and extend your intake tube with it.?

The other thing you can do is use a large (12") bubble wand to provide a constant powerful upsurge of water from the bottom. This helps to 'turn over' the water in a tank so that none goes very long without passing through the filter or being aerated at the surface. :)

Thanks for the help guys, I'll try those things out and see if it helps. If not I guess I'll just get him a new filter. He has tropicals in there and only 2 of them plus a pleco so the water doesn't get too dirty in between cleanings.

Hi there. :) I've got a few important tidbits for you to mull over.............

Firstly, the penguin 110 only pushes 110 gallons per hour. So, LaurieP is very correct in her assumption that this filter, alone, is not going to be anywhere near enough filtration for a growing goldfish in a twenty gallon. Especially for a tall tank. If the tank is 20 gallons, to provide the HIGHLY recommended 10X's filtration per hour, you need for the total filtration rate to be at 200 gallons per hour (at least). Pay no attention to the recommendations on the packaging for filters. They do not pertain to large fish like goldfish and oscars and the like.

Okay, for the tank to be considered good for housing goldfish, it will need another filter exactly like the one he has (or even a bit larger, maybe a 150gph). They will both need to be run at full blast at all times.

The filters will be MUCH more efficient if the intake tubes were extended so that the intake strainer sits right down on, or just above, the gravelbed. In doing this, the water will remain waaaay clearer than without the extended intakes. The need for gravel vacs is greatly diminished as well. The extensions can be cheaply aquired or bought at any local hardware shop. Just buy vinyl tubing that is slighly smaller in "inner diameter" than the intake tubes "outer diameter" and push it over the ends to connect them.

Keep in mind that there are more reasons to stick to the 10X's filtration rule of thumb than I could write in one post. Trust me, the reasons are a'plenty. I realize that lots of money has already been sunk into getting this tank operational but this last, VERY important, variable MUST be met or problems can and will surface........

Here's a link I think will help as well:

Filters and maintenence

Good Luck!

Paul

tell him to get annother penguin to go with it. run the both of them... becuase one wont cut it.

and try contacting marineland about intake tube extentions

OK thanks again for the help. Im not at his house anymore but I may be going back up sometime this week and I'll stop by the pet store and pick up a new filter.

Archived