Emergancy! Please Help Fast!

Guest Morten33

Guest Morten33

I am a horrible horrible person. I do not deserve to be a snail owner. Please tell me what to do. I Just had my new baby snail out looking at its shell. I sat her down on the arm of the couch (leather i woun't but her on fabric) beside me and began to post a message about how to help her shell condition. I got up walked across the room to get my glass of water and came and sat back down to finish my post. When I was done I went to pick up my snail she was gone. I didn't know what happened. I started looking around on the floor, and noticed my dog. I screamed and my dog droped it, but its bad, really bad. There is still some shell left, but a LOT of it is gone. There tip where the small swirls are is mostly gone. I am so sorry, please don't tell me how wrong it was of me to let this happen i feel so bad. I just don't know what to do? I don't think she can live, but she has got to be in pain. Please help me

Guest Morten33

I just looked at her again, i don't know if she is alive or not. It is so hard to look at her, i don't know what to do? Please someone help, tell me what to do?

Calm down, accidents happen! This is quite unfortunate, I must say, but depending on how much of her shell is gone, you could patch it. If you think her body inside got crushed, however, it may, indeed be best to put her out of her misery.

Try touchig her body, see if she reacts, if shes even alive. Post back soon...hope shes alright :heart

Guest Morten33

I think she is gone. The part that swirls kind of to a point is gone. Part of her body is coming out there and it?s a grey color. And then part of her body is coming out at a different part. It's almost like the shell was sliced in half with just a little piece left on the part that was sliced off. I tried to touch one part of her and she did not respond. My sister just got home and calmed me down. She said to put her in a tiny amount of water and put her into the freezer. She said this will just put her to sleep and then she will die, if she is not already. Is this what I should do? I feel horrible I can't even look at my dog right now without crying.

thank you for responding

Yes, the freezer is the most accepted method of euthaniasing fish/ssnails/etc....she will slow down and eventually expire...

Im so sorry to hear about her! :hug

DOnt be mad at your dog...accidents happen :heart

Guest Morten33

Thank you so much for being nice to me about this. I was scared to post about it at first because I thought someone might go off on me. (which i would understand) Thank you for being understanding and kind.

And thank you for confirming the freezer method. She is in there now. I will not be getting any new snails for now. And I will not be taking my other snail out of the tank unless I can give it my undivided attention at every second until I put her back.

Emily

Its ok, hun....no one will get mad at you...thats the beauty of Kokos, everyone is kind, caring, and understanding! you've come to the right place here :)

your little snail is not suffering anymore...shes in the better place now :angel

Hope you have good luck with your other snails....you should post up some pix of them! :D

Guest Morten33

Thank you! Yes this is a great site! I love it!

I am biding on a digital camera on ebay right now. I have wanted one on and off for years, but now that I have fish and a snail I want to take pictures of them!!!That's the only reason I decided to go ahead and get one. :) As soon as I get it, I will post pictures of them. Buster is the only snail I have now. He is really great. I am pretty sure he is a Jade.

Thanks again for everything!

oh, im so jealous! I dont have a digi cam, but I want one sooo bad! I think moms getting me one for graudation in june :D

Ohhh, Jade...So pretty! now you really gotta post pix!!!

:( Emily.I am so sorry about your snail.....You don't always think ahead of what could happen,and usually it takes something like this to make us more aware of how easy some thing so awful could happen. Believe me I know.....And who would yell at you my dear? There's not one person on this board that I know,who hasn't made mistakes at one time or another. None of us are perfect-we all have done something dumb at one time or another. You wanna hear how dumb I was???? I've had a really bad headache(migraine) off and on for three days.Yesterday,I couldn't do anything more than sit at the computer or lay,and that was tough. Last night I decided to call off of work,and I came downstairs to get the phone number.I saw an older full sized Breeder brig that I got off another snail person.This snail has been swelled up since it came to me.Usually,that's a sign of High readings on NitrAtes or something.When you see this,you're advised to take it out of the tank,and sit it on something cool to help ease the swelling.Now even though all my other snails were fine,I thought that this particular one may just be a little more sensitive,& so I took it out of the tank,layed it on my 75gal tank lid,and as I was closing the Snail Tank lid,the phone rang & it was my boss.Not thinking,I slammed the tank lid shut & tried to catch the Boss before she was done leaving a message-which I did catch her .Talked for a couple seconds,hung up the phone as I turned to go back out to the tanks,I heard a noise that sounded like someone dropped an egg off a roof. OMG...In the moment of the call,I had walked away from the snail,and she fell off the 75gal tank & stand onto a hardwood floor! Now how stupid could I have been!!!!! Man did I pull a stupid one! Her shell break was huge. I'm panicking-wondering where I'm going to get the stuff I need to repair it,and then I see that she's allready dead...Must have died instantly-if you would have heard the noise...Well,I should have known it was allready too late. I will never forget what I did,nor the sound it made....I still am crying about how dumb it was,and what a waste of life...... :cry1 Let me tell you,I have learned never to do that again,and if you learn from a mistake you are a better person for it. :hug How can we be mean or judge anyone who truly makes an honest mistake? (One more thing---I got my digi-cam for the same reasons,and I love it!!!!!!!! I went months on this board tortured because I couldn't show anyone my fish/snails etc. You'll love it! :yeah: )

My dog is like a vacuum cleaner. She never goes in my room except after I feed my fish cause I always have various fish foods left on the floor. She sucks them right up. I never need to vacuum the carpet around my tanks. :D

• 2 weeks later...

I dropped Chewy once, of course she was okay, but I was still heart broken for awhile. I was standing by the tank with her in my hand and she just sorta slimed out of my hand, I guess her shell was slippery. She bounced off of my entertainment center, which is metal, and landed on the carpet. I about died when it happened and just stood there for awhile. I was afraid to even pick her up. Chewy is about the size of my fist and her shell is very thick, so she was protected better than a smaller guy would have been.

I also took a snail out that was swollen. I put it in a tupperware container on top of a box of frozen peas. I forgot about her and actually left her there and went out to dinner. When I came back she was still sitting there, probably 1/2 frozen and dry as a bone. She made it too.

I let one of my snail hatchery tanks get to an ammonia level of over 5 once. The green in the test tube was off the charts! It actually dyed the tube green, I've never seen anything like it. A lot of my baby brig's color is kinda of pale to this day from that. Snails that were going to be red have a pale streak around the opening of their shells. About 90% of them made it, but it was still a bad situation and it's going to be hard to sell 50 snails with discoloration.

When I first got my python, I turned my head for a second and I sucked up my favorite fish and he died the next day.

See, we all make mistakes. That's how we learn!

:bighug

Archived