Outer Layer Of Shell Comming Off?

Guest Morten33

Guest Morten33

I am freaking out! I have had one snail for a few months now and he has been fine. But I did notice the end of his shell where he comes out of was getting thin. I found this part of the site and found that snails need a high ph level which I have, and calcium in their diet. Well I ordered a new snail to be my first snail?s sister. I also ordered from that same site a mixture type food for them that is supposed to be really good for them with a high amount of calcium. This was about two weeks ago. Now my new baby snail's shell is getting then at the end, and the outer layer is coming off? I don't know what to do. I checked my ph and it's between 7.6 and 8.0. So that?s good right? What else can I do?

Please help me help my snails

Emily

Thats good ph for snails, but I think what you are seeing is new shell growth. it starts out around where the snail acutally comes out of his shell...its very very thin and transparent at first untill it builds up to the normal thickness and hardens...Thsi doenst sound like a reason to panic hun! your lil slimer will be alright!

Guest Morten33

Oh gooood, thank you so much! I would never have thought of that! Thanks!

One more question, should I be adding liquid calcium to the water? And if I did this, would it be okay for my fish?

Emily

Yup...seeing this freaked me out the when I first got my first snail....false alarm though! :)

Its always good to add calcuim, but not 100% mandatory. I do, and I would if I were you. Its fine with the fish. Alot of ppl on here use Kents Marine Liquid Calcium and seem to like it...I do. Anyhow, its something like 4 drops for 10 gallons? Sounds about right. I jsut measure in this lil lid thingie I have.

Your snails will love you :heart

Yeah, it sounds like new growth. It is a little freaky until you figure out what it is. The 1st time I saw it, I thought the snails body was falling out of the shell (because of the lighter color) and it had to be dead. :krazy:

Guest Morten33

Hey guys, is it okay for me to hold my Snail? I take him out once a day to hold him or every other day. And I take him out and put him in a smaller container with some tank water to feed him. This way the fish don't eat all his food. And an added bonus is that he usually poops all in there too so i just throw out the water and poo when i put him back into the tank. And that helps keep my tank cleaner.

But like I said is it okay to hold him once a day or is that to much?

Oh, and I WILL be getting the liquid calcium today or tomorrow.

Thanks again all!

Emily

Guest Morten33

Yes of course!!! No dogs aloud! I will only be holding my snail for a couple minutes a day standing right by the tank over carpet.

Just wanted to make sure it wouldn't bother them to hold them so often.

Hey about the liquid calcium, I went to the pet store today and got some. Well it's a Calcium & Buffer, liquid Aragonite? It said it was used to maintain calcium, alkalinity and trace element levels. The didn't have what you listed above. Do you think this will be okay?

Archived