Oranda Acting Funny

Guest LloydtheLionhead

Guest LloydtheLionhead

The oranda that i have 'Harry' doesn't seem to be himself. Looks like the right side of his tail is tucked in. Looks like he's holding it funny. He's got a tendancy to jump in the tank. He likes to have a bit of a jump at night. Sometimes I hear him hit the top of the tank. But the ting is that he's really low key... not at all like him. The aquarium seems to be fine other than the alkalinity being quite low. He almost looks like he's limping when he swims. The fin is almost surely injured. What should I do? Don't know what to do about the alkalinity either. Thanks. :D

Can you answer as many questions from above as you can? This info will help us to help you.

Water quality can be bad when fish are behaving "weird". That is the first thing I would check. And without knowing what the alkalinity is actually I can't recommend anything.....post that info and we can help you.

Guest LloydtheLionhead

mmonia Level 0 ppm Nitrite Level? 0 ppm

Nitrate level? 0.4 Ph Level? 6.3

Ph Level out of the Tap? don't know Tank size(How many Gals)10 and How long has it been running? 2 mos

What kind of Filtration? hanging fiter How often do you change the water and how much? 2 times a week and about 25-30 % just cause I have 2 fish

What kind of Water additives or conditioners? tetramin dechlorinator

Any Medications add to the tank? How many fish in the tank and there size? 2 31/2 inch goldies 1 apple snail. One Lionhead and One Oranda

Add any new fish to the tank?no

What do you feed your fish? Tetramin Flakes 2 times dailysometimes switched out with corresponding amounts of wardley crumbles or tubifex worms Any unusual findings on the fish? Such as

"grains of salt", bloody streaks, frayed fins, fungus? right side bottom tail fin is curled in and it looks like he's limping when he swims. No fungus I think that it's a physical injury.

Now the joint between the tail and body is a strange color but he's changing color right now from black to orange. If you can what is the chloramines Level

from the Tap? Don't know. Use pur water filter. Hope this is enough info. If you would like to look at a pic of him check out this link.

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/simplesoluti...0&.dnm=e259.jpg

Very cute oranda!!

THe changing color from black to orange is normal. Black is very unstable color for gf and most will always lose it. Usually it turns to orange so no worries there.

As for the tail being a little crooked, I would just watch it, as long as he can swim and eat and be normal it could be a defect or an injury that may or may heal correctly..

Everything looks to be ok, just watch him and if anything changes post back.

Ypour PH is awful low....What is it normally out of the tap?You definitely need to test that. If it comes out higher,there are safe ways to increase it. :D Drastic drops in PH can lead to severe results.

a ph of 6.3 for goldfish is low. you should increase it by adding baking soda, or a comercial buffer.

I am not sure the size of your tank, 10 gall?? ... if that is case use a small amount.. 1/4 teaspoon or less..

add some baking soda to a cup of tank water then pour it in. then measure the ph level after a few mins.. increase the ph to 7.4-7.6

hopefully your goldies will stop jumping.

Guest LloydtheLionhead

I think that since the light went out they got a bit depressed. Seemed to really bug them. Put in some new flourescents and they seem to have perked up. Still the alkalinity is way down as well. What can I do to bring this up. I know this is a question for the water chem forum but I didn't get an answer there.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest LloydtheLionhead

One thing I just noticed on the Orandas fins... he's got some veins showing in his tail. Is this normal. He's growing alot and is changing color rather rapidly. He used to have a black wen and black fins... now his fins have gone all white and he's turning silver. His wen is clear and turning orange in spots... The thing that I'm concerned about is the veins showing in his fins. They're only on his tail and are clearly defined veins. Is this normal for a growing fish? Should I be concerned. He's showing some vein concentration near the base of his tail. He doesn't seem to be uncomfortable. I think that he might be getting some growing pains if anything. He's doubled in size since I got him in Feb. Any help and advice will be appreciated. Thanks. Jon :yeah:

Guest blueeyes203

the changing color is normal for orandas. Sometimes diet will affect the changing of color, especially with algae based foods. But the red veins in the tail is a sign of stress.

Is your oranda showing any other symptoms?

How big is your tank? being crowded can cause some stress

when you change the water, are you conditioning it b4 you add it to the tank?

What is your temp, or does it fluxuate? that can cause stress and a drop in the immune system.

And just for the health of harry, when you feed him, do you soak the crumbles or flakes in a separate bowl of tank water before putting in the tank? It's good to soak it before feeding so it doesn't expand inside harry. That can cause constipation and Swim bladder disorder (loss of appetite and sitting at the bottom) I know you haven't described that problem, but since orandas are known to have that problem, i thought i'd bring it up. When that happens, just feed him Peas. Peas are good for them either way to have every once in awhile. (pealed and smushed)

if he's still jumping out of the tank, i'd lower the waterlevel some to avoid him hitting the lid. wouldn't want a flying fish to fly out or injure himself anymore

keep an eye on those numbers

i wish you luck

Lloyd the red in the tail can also be normal if the fish is white, or his tail is white.

If I am understanding correctly the fish's tail was dark and is now turning white? This could be why you now see the veins, they are more visible in the white tail.

Keep an eye on him, if anything else pops up then you have to get on it but for now I would watch him, see if this is normal for him or not.

Guest LloydtheLionhead

The fish are in a 10 gallon tank. I know that this is small for now but they are both juvenile fish. Both under 3". The Nitrates run a bit high though to my understanding this doens't effect them. I change 20% of the water twice a week and condition it before adding it to the tank. Usually adding about 1/4 of a teaspoon of baking soda to keep the pH up. For the most part they seem pretty happy but the oranda has been a bit low lately. Doesn't seem as perky as he was. I know that I really need to get a bigger tank but they'll kick me out of my apt. If I do. :blink:

Guest LloydtheLionhead

Oh and the water runs about 76 deg F. I have a heater in the tank and make sure that it stays there. THey seem to like it a bit cooler.

I'm not sure how or who told you that the high nitrates aren't a factor. They are, high nitrates anything over 40 can make a fish sick.

I would test for these and see what it reveals. This could be a problem.

Guest LloydtheLionhead

Oranda seems to be floating a bit too well. Better when he eats... I have been soaking the food, flakes anyway. The crumbles seem to be their choice of food lately. They go at that harder than they do the flakes lately. I am going to get some peas tonight. Frozen and peeled. Let them thaw of course. I thought I'd heard that peas will help swim b :blink: ladder problems. I know that you said that they would, blueeyes203. They're a mess.

I read about nitrates on a website somewhere. It said that NIRTITES were bad... but they hadn't ever heard of NITRATES hurting a fish. Guess you can't believe all ya read.

Thanks.

Guest blueeyes203

Yes! peas will help the swim bladder! that's always my 1st suggestion when someone says their fish isn't swimming right. How is that going by the way?

Archived