1st Time Betta Owner

Guest GGbop

Guest GGbop

I'm trying my luck w/ a betta for the first time! :newfish I brought him home yesterday from the LFS and am keeping him in a 5 gallon tank w plants and a nice big limestone rock to investigate and play in. Prego is the closest thing to purple i've ever seen in a betta, and once he gets comfy and his fins spread out, I think he'll be gorgeous! :heart

I'm just trying to figure out if there's anything I can do to help his fins grow out and for him to feel more at home. I have been doing my reading on these fish and hope I can keep Prego for a good long time. (I previously owned two goldies who did not survive).

I have bloodworms, brineshrimp, and specialized color enhancing pelets for him to provide a varied diet.

Anyone who can tell me what more I can do for him? Thanks for any advice.

:D Congrats on your new Betta! Prego sounds lovely! :D I love purple! Do you have a filter on that 5gal.tank? The only thing I would tell you about the food,is always remember that Betta's tummy's are about the size of their eye,so it takes very little food to feed them.Ignore all their begging-they always act starved! :lol: He'll love the plants to sit/sleep on as long as they're soft and won't rip his fins.I'm not sure about the limestone though,that may alter your water Params. I'd check into that one.

Congratulations! Prego sounds beautiful! The best thing to keep him healty and happy is good water conditions and like Devs said they don't need too much food. I feed mine 2 times a day but he only gets 2 or 3 of the really small betta bites at a time. He thinks he is gonna be fed every time I go over to look at him. :lol:

Guest GGbop

The 5 gal deffinitely has a filter and biowheel, so no worries about filtration and O2 content :)

the pelets I have for Prego are very tiny, and the box says to feed 2-3 pellets 3 times daily. So overall I'm thinking, one type of food each day, and with the shrimp and blood worms to only feed once a day.

The LFS said the limestone would help balance my pH? Is this true or a mith? Should I get something else to replace the limestone (like something coated?) :huh:

Guest GGbop

Also, does anyone know how long it will take before I start to see improvement of Prego's fins? (they are very small and somehwhat clamped at the present time).

I don't think he has any diseased or anything, just maybe a little stunted from sitting in a tiny vase at the LFS for a while.

i will try to load a picture of him soon

The 5 gal deffinitely has a filter and biowheel, so no worries about filtration and O2 content :)

the pelets I have for Prego are very tiny, and the box says to feed 2-3 pellets 3 times daily. So overall I'm thinking, one type of food each day, and with the shrimp and blood worms to only feed once a day.

The LFS said the limestone would help balance my pH? Is this true or a mith?  Should I get something else to replace the limestone (like something coated?) :huh:

320916[/snapback]

Yes that is sorta true. What is your normal PH?---Good water should start healing his fins.I'm not sure exactly how many days that will take. What is his tank temp? Do you have a heater for him?Is he swimming around/eating allright?

Guest GGbop

The norm pH is between 7.2-7.4 and the norm temp in the room is in the 70's. It was a little cold last night because I put the AC on in the evening and I fell asleep while it was still on. I woke up and It was FREEZING (68). I don't have a heater, but the tank does have a lamp that stays on from midday to early evening.

He eats like a piggy! but I'm being carefull not to overfeed him.

Guest GGbop

Okay got a pic for ya's! Now ya know why I snatched this little dude up so quick. I've never seen such a color combo in a beta before. My bf had three betas at one time and none of them looked like this.

Prego.jpg

He's gonna be sooo beautiful isn't he? :flowerss

Guest GGbop

I have an update on Prego's opinion of his surroundings. He has discovered the little hiding places the limestone provides him (there is a small hole just his size, and a crevice on one side), and the rock is one of his favorite things in the tank now. Go figure. He has really started to blossom and he gets more beautiful everyday. His tail has its shape back and it's a classic diablo/dragon shape that I just love, and his colors are geting deeper. I'm so excited to see him emerge into such a happy fishie. He's so curious and follows me around the room all the time lol!

wow! that is a beautiful betta!! glad to hear he has perked up. i would suggest that you do get a really small heater to put in there. you dont want the temperature to fluctuate to much or for it to get too cold for him. good luck!!

Guest GGbop

I did turn off the AC in my room so no the temp stays between 78-80 degrees F. Is it more ideal for a betta to be in cooler or warmer water? I've heard it's warmer since they're tropical fish. :blink:

About the heater thing, I can get one, but I'm not sure about keeping it on all the time. I live on the third floor of my building and it can get pretty hot up here in the spring and summer. (which is why I had the room AC on last week).

I am also treating the tank for algae this week cuz it's growing all over the bottom sides. <_< (Algae destroyer advanced).

I also have a question about tank mates. What pros/cons are there to keeping apple snails in the same tank witha betta?

I have an apple snail in with my betta and they do just fine together. I have heard some here say that their bettas didn't like it. So I guess you'll just have to try. I had alot of green algae suddenly come up in my tank and when I put the snail in it cleared up very quickly. Just be aware that they will not just always eat the algae. I feed my snails veggies and wafers to keep them healthy. And they will benefit from good water conditions just like your betta. You can read on the snail section of then forum and learn alot, I have! :)

The heater tinkerbell was referring to was a small aquarium heater for the tank itself. So even when your house needs cooling or cools down at night, the tank can remain at a comfortable temp for the betta. I don't have a heater in mine. I have a 2.5 gallon and the tank lights heat his water up. Plus I have him in the warmest room in the house.

Good luck with everything.

Guest GGbop

Thanks fishrpets, I'll look up the info. My tank has a light too, so I wonder if that may heat the water sufficiently. I'll have to run some experiments and find out what temp the water stays at when the lamp is not on all day.

Archived