Female Bettas

sandy

Hi all,

I have two veiltail females in seperate tanks and i would really like to get two female HM bettas for breeding at a later stage. I have heard of all female tanks or females being kept together, but the trouble is i tried this in my 34 community with three females and one died. If i try to put the two remaining girls together it ends up one being dominant and chasing and attacking the other, so would getting two new girls and adding the other female at the same time lessen the aggression or am i setting myself up for more losses? ive got lots of plastic plants and bogwood in there to try and lessen the sight lines. Any thoughts and experiences would be great thanks. :)

Groups of 3+ aren't so good either. Usualy the rule is 4+, 3 has a dominant two submissives, but they gang up two to one. 4 even the agression out completely, meaning keeping fair teams. The IDEAL would be 6+ for a 30 gallon. Females are edgy things, switch the decour around, take all the girls out, then stick them all in at the same time so they establish NEW territory, otherwise if you don't rearrange the decour the old "leader" will be even more agressive. Just my $ .02

I have two female tanks, and I haven't had any problems. One tank has 7 girls and the other has 4. Personally, I would go with at least 5 to be on the safe side.

Tam gave good advice on rearranging the tank, and putting them all in at the same time. Provide lots of hiding spots, like little caves. I use terra cotta flower pots on their sides bog wood and rock arrangements.

Also, you will notice a bit of pecking and chasing in the first few days. They are establishing their pecking order. As long as there are no injuries, it is best to leave them alone and in a couple of days, the pecking order is established and the tank should be pretty calm.

My girls get along fabulously now and my female betta tanks are really pretty with all of the colour.

Archived