Does Homemade Food Make Your Fish Grow Bigger?

Fishmerised

I'm a novice at homemade gel foods, I've only made 2 batches. My first batch was around 50% baby rice cereal (well soaked and expanded) but I was concerned because all my fish seemed very round after eating it. No constipation problems or anything but I ditched it after a few feeds and tried another recipe.

My current recipe contains only about 5% rice flour, 80% vege's, 15% sardines and brine shrimp (and of course all the water). I fed them some this morning and they look the same, rather round, like they have developed baby fat. They don't look bloated or obese, actually they look big and healthy. I didn't know homemade food had this effect.

Q. Is it normal?

Q. Will they grow bigger or faster?

Q. Could I simply be overfeeding?

awwww if the first batch didn't foggy up the water I suggest you keep it as a laxative resort

your second batch may be too salty for the goldies and contains a bit too much vegies which can usually lower the intake of beneficial elements due to the nature of fiber.

Good luck on that.

PS please post the ingredients next time :D

Thanks Maniaholic, the salt crossed my mind too. I only feed them gel food every second day for breakfast so I don't think they are getting too many veges in their complete diet.

The ingredients are simple. Baby food - 1 jar peas, potatoes & broccoli, 1 jar carrots & rice, 1 sachet frozen brine shrimp, 1/2 small can of sardines. The baby food has no added salt but the sardines are full of it. Next time I might substitue "no added salt" salmon, or something.

Archived