Pepe & Finrot - From 2.5g To 200 Gallons !

Fishmerised

A little more than 3 years ago I purchased two small comets, I guestimate they would have been approx 3-4mths old.

For the first 2yrs of their lives they shared a 2.5g tank with 2 daninos, I changed one third of the water weekly. :o Amazingly they survived and even grew a little. Around 15mths ago they graduated to a 10g tank and then progressed to a 30g tank. They have grown quite a bit in this time but still are only around the size of a 1yr old comet.

Today I introduced them to the pond, not sure how they would cope but they took to it like to the manor born. I'm so happy for them.

It just goes to show there is something to be said for hybrid vigour !! I don't believe any thoroughbred would have survived those conditions.

In contrast to Pepe and Finrot's childhood conditions I have 2 gf fry now living in the 2.5g. They are bona fide fry (approx 8-10 weeks old) and still eat fry food. My mission is to raise these little babies in the best conditions I can provide just to see how big they grow. It will be interesting to see how big they are in 3yrs in comparison to Pepe and Finrot.

I'm glad they are enjoying the pond! :pond

It will be very interesting to see the growth difference with your fry. Keep us updated on that please.

I just upgraded to a bigger tank not long ago and even though my 2 goldies were in a 20 gallon, it was a hex and I am thinking the long shape of it may have hindered their growth some.? :idont Fiona hasn't grown a whole lot since I got her but she tends to have other problems too so it may be genetic for her.

Some fish do need a lot of swimming space. Spotty 3 (a shubunkin) was going nuts in a 30g tall tank, with two flicks of his tail he could go from one side to the other.

Finrot also has "genetic anomolies", I think that's a much nicer way of saying deformed. She has a crooked spine and a useless thin strip of a caudal fin. She could never swim properly and couldn't keep her balance, used to roll alot. The extra space of the 30g must have helped because as she has grown she has also elongated instead of just getting rounder. Her swimming has improved a great deal, but that's why I was worried if she could cope in the pond.

Archived